24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's 40 degrees and I just looked out the window saw a Humming Bird looking back at me.
In the thirteen years I've lived here this is the earliest I've seen one.
They usually start showing up in mid-late May.
Guess I better get a couple of feeders out tomorrow.

I had a bumper crop last year....bout wore me ragged keeping four feeders going.
God help me if this early arrival is a sign that I'm in for even more of the little free loaders this year.

GB2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Fieldgrade, what do you feed the hummers?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have one species year round here, Annas. Rufuses just showed up a few weeks ago. Lots of activity at the feeders. Have to refill them every other day.

Carpe' Scrotum
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thats so funny how much earlier things are up there this year(the guy in another post talking of killdeere nesting) we are a lot further south and they haven't started yet and only had one hummer pass through so far ???

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Sugar water.

I was going through 10#'s of sugar a week last year.
Best price I can find is $11 for a fifteen pound bag so it can get a little expensive but the entertainment is worth it.

One checker last summer asked me if I was making moonshine when I showed up at the checkout with 5 bags. I laughed and said "I wish but I'm just feeding Hummers" she said "too bad, if you were making shine I was going to ask you out on a date".... smile

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You coudda lied, just a bit? First date, bird watching?

Of course, your wife, watching you, and date----,

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Sugar water.

I was going through 10#'s of sugar a week last year.
Best price I can find is $11 for a fifteen pound bag so it can get a little expensive but the entertainment is worth it.

One checker last summer asked me if I was making moonshine when I showed up at the checkout with 5 bags. I laughed and said "I wish but I'm just feeding Hummers" she said "too bad, if you were making shine I was going to ask you out on a date".... smile

Damn!

So that's where all mine went last year! smile

Glad they were well fed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need some bees if you think your sugar purchases are high.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well....it's on.
I hung a feeder this afternoon...a couple hours later I was setting on the deck drinking a beer and sure enough the first free loader showed up.
Once they find it they'll be back.
Guess I better put sugar on my shopping list.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had a couple here now after the big flood was over!!

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had a couple here now after the big flood was over!! Poor little guys don't fly too well when the rain drops are bigger than they are !!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They're like street urchins neighbor. They know where you are now. They pass that info out while they're down south for the winter.

"Hey dudes, there's this Field Grade guy up in N ID, no need to go any further or go hunting around the forest for flowers and crap. The dude puts out GALLONS of sweet stuff every week. Don't worry, he has a truck he can put lots of sugar in. He may even be happy and get a date out of the deal if he's smart."

"He acts grumpy about how hard it is to feed us, but he kinda likes having us around. Dude even likes owls, flying squirrels, and other critters! (just don't be a furbearer, he likes them fine too, but he likes them drying on a frame)"

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
They're like street urchins neighbor. They know where you are now. They pass that info out while they're down south for the winter.

"Hey dudes, there's this Field Grade guy up in N ID, no need to go any further or go hunting around the forest for flowers and crap. The dude puts out GALLONS of sweet stuff every week. Don't worry, he has a truck he can put lots of sugar in. He may even be happy and get a date out of the deal if he's smart."

"He acts grumpy about how hard it is to feed us, but he kinda likes having us around. Dude even likes owls, flying squirrels, and other critters! (just don't be a furbearer, he likes them fine too, but he likes them drying on a frame)"

Geno

LOL.....funny but all true.
I gather up buckets of Wal Nuts for the squirrels even though they raid my bird feeders and bought corn for the Rabbits after they killed off the Junipers I've raised from birth and half killed all my roses this winter yet I prefer predators that have done me no harm what so ever with their skin off.

Weird Huh.... crazy

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
FieldGrade, ever check out the party affiliation of those critters? They sound like democrats to me, but then, watch us conservatives run to an open house with free food!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
241 members (300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,652 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.