Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, what kind of critters, birds, bugs and such have you seen around your particular rural living area now that Spring has sprung? What are they doing?

Birds:

No recent pics, but the coveys of quail are starting to break up a little bit and they're pairing up too. Yesterday I watched a cock quail try to steal a female from his buddy, she was having none of it and ran over to her mate after fighting him for a couple of minutes. Who needs a cock fighting ring when you have quail fights to enjoy?

The rooster pheasants are dressed in their finest raiment and crowing and showing off for the ladies. Two were in the field by the mailbox "strutting" such as it may be, and another came by to eat some of the scratch I put out for the quail and sparrows. He shows off a bit too, but he had two hens with him so he's not getting too far from them.

The American White Pelicans have shown up in force, the first few showed up a week or so ago. Friggen gulls too, and Caspian terns.

A kestrel that comes back each year was sitting in a tree in the yard today with a vole or mouse, calling "come and get it" to his mate. It was a tree by my garden so I wish him happy hunting and raise up a bunch of hungry youngsters to feed.

There's a house wren hanging around also. I can't figure out whether it's trying to nest or if it's just looking for food. It's been between and under the potted plants and the pallets I keep them on, under the shed, and under the RV too. I don't mind for as long as he's hanging around here he's eating bugs that could be getting my plants.

Critter:

Here's a good example of why there's a term "dumb bunny", sat near the neighbor's trailer until I pushed my mower to within 3 feet or so, then ran across the driveway and sat there "hiding". Good thing I wasn't in the mood for hasenpfeffer.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Now for the bugs,

First, a crappy photo of a "sage" or "iodine" bug on the inside of my window screen. Little bastards are coming out of overwintering in the RV. They're small enough they get in everywhere. Best I can do online is to get them id'ed as some sort of seed bug, perhaps a Mediterranean. They are a nuisance, huge (as the Donald would say) nuisance.

Then there's these boxelder bugs. not as bad for getting into the RV, but they overwinter behind the siding on the outbuildings, bark of the trees, piles of leaves blown up against stuff. There's got to be a "bajillion" of the darn things. These had woken up from in the bark of a locust tree and were doing the mating thing on the driveway.

That was just a relatively small pile of them.

Now ...............your turn to show us what Spring in your area is doing to the fauna in your locale. Flora can be another post.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Saw 2 swans And 2 geese the other day where they congregate to rest heading north.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey, I saw those guys too. They went past our place in N Cal a month ago. grin

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
They offered their regards!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pigeons... Pigeons... Stinkin, no good pigeons.
The crap everywhere. They think that my palm tree's
are their personal tree's for nesting. Pigeon schit
all over my pool area.

And here is my answer for them.

My High Standard 7 1/4" barrel, and The infamous Agila Colibri.
This is the just about the greatest pigeon control tool ever.
About like a .22 cal pellet rifle. If you do it just right,
they fly off and die somewhere else.

3 gone today grin Many more to go... mad

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Owl; 04/12/17.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
2 brown thrashers sitting on the back porch railing.
never seen any before. had to look 'em up.
the usual 3 cottontails out back.

high standard made some real firearms

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
buncha deer, antelope and turkeys this week. And like owl, some stinking pigeons......

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Fresh hog sign up the road yesterday morning in neighbors pasture.

I think I smell pork ribs on the pit in my future!

wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Birds are coming in. Waterfowl, Herons, Cormorants, and all locals.

Deer are starting to feed in the green alfalfa. Coyotes, racoons, skunks, and rabbits are out and about.

Turkeys are mating and coming into calls.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw my first toad of the year the night before last while at work. Seems earlier than I've seen one in the past. Usually see them once we get much warmer nights.

It'll likely not be out tonight as it's down in the low 40's right now, not like nearly 60 the other night.

Still waiting for the kingbirds to show up. The nighthawks too.

Geno

In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Now for the bugs,

First, a crappy photo of a "sage" or "iodine" bug on the inside of my window screen. Little bastards are coming out of overwintering in the RV. They're small enough they get in everywhere. Best I can do online is to get them id'ed as some sort of seed bug, perhaps a Mediterranean. They are a nuisance, huge (as the Donald would say) nuisance.

Then there's these boxelder bugs. not as bad for getting into the RV, but they overwinter behind the siding on the outbuildings, bark of the trees, piles of leaves blown up against stuff. There's got to be a "bajillion" of the darn things. These had woken up from in the bark of a locust tree and were doing the mating thing on the driveway.

Now ...............your turn to show us what Spring in your area is doing to the fauna in your locale. Flora can be another post.

Geno

Tempo SC Ultra for bugs about 3 times a year during bug season. I spray all around the base of the house, shop, crawl spaces, out buildings, rock piles, lumber stacks, windows, anyplace bugs might try to winter.

Yes, there will be some innocents killed, like preying mantis, etc.. But I prefer the scorched earth policy when it comes to bugs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Now that the weather's starting to warm (sorta) I'm back to watching the critters in my yard with a cup of coffee in the mornings. The Rabbits, Squirrels, Deer, and Quail seemed to have wintered well considering all the snow and cold temps we had this year. There's a bumper crop of Fox Squirrel for some reason.
Birds are starting to buzz my birdhouses deciding which one they plan to squat in this year and I discovered another Flying Squirrel while cleaning out the houses anticipating their arrival so I guess it's business as usual around here.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The possum we had in February appears to have moved on. Right now we have a pair of mallards in our seasonal wetland/creek, along with the typical grey squirrels, cotton tails, hawks, owls, cardinals, chickadees, juncos, sparrows, and finches.

We also see fox, raccoons, coyotes, turkeys, pheasant and deer passing through, but the cover is not conducive right where we are to hold them for any length of time, so I only have the need for a short fence to keep the garden intact.

.22 aquila colibri keeps the squirrels and rabbit in check. I am glad I bought 5 bricks years ago because I haven't seen them for sale around here for a long time.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lonny

Now for the bugs,

Geno

Tempo SC Ultra for bugs about 3 times a year during bug season. I spray all around the base of the house, shop, crawl spaces, out buildings, rock piles, lumber stacks, windows, anyplace bugs might try to winter.

Yes, there will be some innocents killed, like preying mantis, etc.. But I prefer the scorched earth policy when it comes to bugs.

No spray for me. Wife's place the dogs have free rein and eat bugs/flies they can catch, or critters that eat bugs. Around my place I like the good bugs for my garden, like spiders and mantids.

Those bugs I showed are just a nuisance, they do no real harm and the boxelder bugs will never get wiped out around here, too much wildland, trees and bark for them to overwinter. Same for the little bugs, my place is just convenient for them.

As they say on the innanet,

YMMV.

Geno

In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Forgot,

the mourning doves have arrived. Say's phoebe on the clothesline this morning too.

The darn Eurasian collared doves seem to overwinter here. frown

I'll try to have a few of those for dinner this year though smile

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Turkey vultures are back and have been making lazy figure-eights above the house. Sure sign of Spring

Carpe' Scrotum
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Those guys don't hang around here, Ive seen them rest for a day and then leave on the way further north.

But we're lucky and have both kinds of eagles!

Geno

PS, and more hawks than I can identify when driving to town.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our cattle egrets finally showed up on April 10th. They have always heretofore arrived at the latest by March 25 every year. They are very welcome as their main diet is horse flies, grass hoppers, and army worms. When I was a kid we didn't have cattle egrets. I heard that about 40 blew in on a storm from Africa in the 1940s and they populated from that group. Do any of you folks up North have cattle egrets?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hastings
Our cattle egrets finally showed up on April 10th. They have always heretofore arrived at the latest by March 25 every year. They are very welcome as their main diet is horse flies, grass hoppers, and army worms. When I was a kid we didn't have cattle egrets. I heard that about 40 blew in on a storm from Africa in the 1940s and they populated from that group. Do any of you folks up North have cattle egrets?

Got the egrets down here as well. There's some ranches I shred that they follow my tractor around all day eating the insects and frogs I scare up.

It's funny and entertaining to watch them. grin

I'll start out in the morning, and there will be a few of them. Shortly, they increase to a couple hundred at times. Keep thinking that I'm gonna get one with the shredder, because they are pretty fearless. But I haven't yet... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But we're lucky and have both kinds of eagles!

Geno

PS, and more hawks than I can identify when driving to town.

I see bald eagles every once in a while down the Tualatin flood plain / wet lands. But they Winter here.

Lots of hawks like you said. Saw some sort of raptor flying through the trees behind the house the other day. Didn't get a good look at it before it was in the dark of the trees. Cooper's hawk, maybe? That said I've not heard the owls hooting yet.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (338reddog, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.