Home
Posted By: 10gaugemag Osage Orange/Hedge & ??? - 10/29/22
Thinking about a new custom take down.

Wanting Hedge/Osage Orange and a darker wood or black combo on the riser.

Maybe Osage orange on the back of limbs if possible??

Dark colored face on limbs.

Anybody else have something similar to this color scheme?

Pics?
Posted By: hookeye Re: Osage Orange/Hedge & ??? - 10/29/22
Check out some of the pics on Blackwidow Bows Fan Club on Facebook. Theyve posted osage combos before, and how they look after theyve aged.
Posted By: 257James Re: Osage Orange/Hedge & ??? - 10/29/22
My Blacktail Elite VL Takedown w/ Cocobolo Riser, Osage accents and Osage limbs. Check out Norm Johnson’s website, he make a fine bow!!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by 257Deland
My Blacktail Elite VL Takedown w/ Cocobolo Riser, Osage accents and Osage limbs. Check out Norm Johnson’s website, he make a fine bow!!
Front and back of limbs faced the same?
Posted By: 257James Re: Osage Orange/Hedge & ??? - 10/30/22
Yes they are, limbs are Osage with Cocobolo veneers on the face at the limb bolts, on the back at the base of the limb and limb tips. I can post more pics if you’re interested.

**The veneers on the back are Bloodwood as is the accent stripe in the riser** It’s been a while since I’ve shot it.
Can PM me pics or stick em up here.

Went to their web page, very sharp looking bows. Looks like they may not be taking orders right now.
Posted By: 257James Re: Osage Orange/Hedge & ??? - 10/30/22
I’ll do a photo shoot in the am and PM them to you.

You should check out Wes Wallace Bows too. Blacktail Bows are very similar to Wes Wallace Bows. If I’m not mistaken, Wes Wallace and Norm Johnson of Blacktail Bows we’re both mentored by Jim Brackenbury.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Osage Orange/Hedge & ??? - 10/30/22
Talk to Mike at Posssum Bow Co.

His "website" is a Facebook page. He does some mighty fine bows. Takedowns included.
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Talk to Mike at Posssum Bow Co.

His "website" is a Facebook page. He does some mighty fine bows. Takedowns included.
👍
Posted By: jamesh76 Re: Osage Orange/Hedge & ??? - 02/25/23
Great wood, I have made several longbows from Osage. Good ole Self Bows!
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Osage Orange/Hedge & ??? - 02/26/23
I have a 50’s style one piece (KOTA Kill ‘em) which is Osage with a Cocobolo riser and limb tips.

The thing to remember with Osage is it gets darker over time. When I bought the bow around ‘98-‘99 it was Yellow but now is a beautiful dark orange color.

I don’t know if you can get different limb laminations front and back but I wouldn’t do it that way because the way the bow looks will change over time. I can understand why you may want to go that way because of the bright yellow at first. I used limb socks when I hunted with it until it began to darken. It doesn’t stand out near as much as you think in the fall woods. I worried more with Turkey in the spring pre hub blinds.
Check out St Joe River bows site as well.
They're best photos are those he has on his Facebook page.

He has a lot of different woods for riser options and veneers for limbs.
They also make a really neat take down model using an interrupted thread bolt design for a 2 pc bow.

Custom take down recurve by St Joe River.
Blacktail53, I believe St. Joe river bows are made by a “she” though I know her husband is involved too.
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Blacktail53, I believe St. Joe river bows are made by a “she” though I know her husband is involved too.

Might be. I see on their FB page where she's the one presenting bows to their new owners.

I've got the hots to have them make me a one-of-a-kind recurve someday....
Posted By: Kdf22 Re: Osage Orange/Hedge & ??? - 03/08/23
Osage will turn to a tan brownish color over time as it’s exposed to sunlight
© 24hourcampfire