Home
Posted By: Chinook Best archery target? - 07/22/10
Any opinions on the best backyard archery target to buy for my 12 year old son? He is shooting a 30# recurve. Need a balance of economy, quality, and durability.

Thanks.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Best archery target? - 07/22/10
I built two of these in the back yard for about $35 total cost:

Homemade Archery Target

They work great, and make a nice big target for the kids to aim at.

It will also stop arrows from my bow with no problems.
Posted By: Outdoors26 Re: Best archery target? - 07/22/10
Foam block target from Wally mart would work fine for a 30# recurve. If you want one that will last a LONG time try the "BLOCK" target. I have one it works great. There are many types of block type targets out there and they are easy to set up and transport. The better they are, usally the more they cost.
Posted By: Outdoors26 Re: Best archery target? - 07/22/10
Nice target RyanTX,
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Best archery target? - 07/22/10
Outdoors26 - sorry, not trying to mislead, but that is not "my" target in the link, I just used the same plans.
Posted By: LostArra Re: Best archery target? - 07/22/10
100# coffee bag stuffed with plastic bags, shrinkwrap plastic, etc

Suspend from t-posts

Simulates deer/hog body.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Outdoors26 Re: Best archery target? - 07/23/10
Originally Posted by Outdoors26
Nice target RyanTX,

I should of looked closer at the post. My fault.
Posted By: dustoffer Re: Best archery target? - 07/23/10
Check out the DIY section on ArcheryTalk.com for homemade targets. Lots of ideas there.

I've made several using feed sacks--burlap or the white woven plastic, stuffed with the cotton batting out of old mattresses or furniture. Cheap and easy to make.
Posted By: fyshbum Re: Best archery target? - 07/23/10
Straw bales, or the big rolls if you can handle them, are pretty cheap down our way, and will stop the kids arrows well. Place the bales or the above mentioned targets infront of a bed sheet suspended between two trees from a rope. That way the overshots and glancing shots hit the sheet. They will just drop to the ground. I speak from experience from working with my 7-10 year old kids and teaching the local Cub Scouts. 30-40#'s is about the max for the sheet though.

Also, I set up a Saunders Indian Chord standard round archery mat with the traditional colored ring bullseye face. The backstop has lasted for over 6 years. the trick is to keep it dry/out of the rain.

Try inflating ballons and tie them to shish kabob sticks and stick them into the target face or straw bales for them to shoot. The kids get a real kick out of popping them.
© 24hourcampfire