Home
I am referencing a recent thread on the Elk hunting forum. It shows a video of this happening and the guy makes what I called a lucky shot and gets a beautiful bull.

What are your thoughts on this? I personally hate this shot, think it leads to wounded elk in most cases and is not an ethical shot at all. I am glad I was wearing my asbestos underwear because I got torched for my views.

I am 54 and have hunted with a bow since I was 14 and never have even remotely heard about this shot being anything BUT a mistake. In my experience, I have always gone for the double lung shot, as I have seen too many get away with just one lung gone.

To hear from some of these responses on that thread, I represent all that is wrong in the world, with me being responsible for inflation, the sub-prime mortgage mess, poor gas mileage and those damn gay pride issues.

I'll stick with the double lung shot and go wash out my asbestos underwear again.

Here tis: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...0_380_class_archery_bull_vid#Post5457851
I tried that shot about 10 years ago in Colorado. We found the bull...3 DAYS later. Never again will I take that shot.

That said, you'll never convince anyone that it's a poor shot choice on the internet. People have to learn from their own personal experiences.
The worst shot a bow hunter could take . Maybe he found it because of a high fence.
After watching the last few of that second video over several times closely I believe.

1) That elk wasn't going to give a better shot.
2) It isn't the best shot and they stated that clearly in the video.
3) The hunter knew where the arrow needed to be placed, and he placed it damn near perfect.
4) It is amazing what a rack [(Hard) or (soft)] will make a guy do.
5) I would have taken that shot if it was me in his shoes. But I am confident I can make that shot and make it repeatably.
I would not attemped that shot with my recurve or longbow.
well 50/50 chance of losing or retrieving your Elk . I guess you would just have to make a on the spot decision if it is worth it or not.
my brother in law shot a whitetail straight on arrow went in never came out about 100 feet of blood trail never found deer. very poor shot choice.
I think we all know it isn't the best choice of shot. Every situation would be different and I wouldn't take it in every situation. The conditions in the video appear to be pretty good for that one situation. I don't believe but will never know for a fact the bull was not going to give a better option. That doesn't mean take the shot. But to me it means evaluate the situation and decide. Things to concider before making the shot should be but not limited to #1 your confidence and honest accurrace with a bow. #2 wind and direction. #3 distance of shot and is there a clear shooting lane. If your not comfortable with the shot don't take it.
Beats a broadside shot hitting too high, or in the shoulder. I actually think a quartering away shot is pretty risky. Got to clip the gut/liver going in, and all it takes is one quick step, and you are all paunch.
I made that very shot,not intentionally on a Mule Deer.As I let go of the string,the noise turned him and I hit it head on in the chest.He ran about 30 yards and pulled the arrow out with his teeth,then disappeared without any noticeable blood trail and up hill,to boot.

Chit happens bow hunting and I like speed and silence with strings.

Jayco
made that shot on this deer from 5 yds with my longbow. he didn't run but about 10 yds.have no idea how it would work on a elk.

[Linked Image]
I would NEVER take this shot on ANY game animal.

Not saying it couldnt be done successfully but thats a chance I'm not willing to risk.
30 plus years of bow hunting I have learned not to shoot at alerted animals. So have always opted to pass on frontal shots because the animal is most likely looking at me and a very small lethal target. I'll pass for a broadside or quartering away shot.

I have seen my fair share deer lost by others to one lung hits over the years
Stx, I think you made that deer hurt before he died.....nice shot. Like I said in the original thread, as bow hunters we have to play the percentages....striving to place the shot where there is the greatest percentage of a humane, quick killing shot.

That's just not the shot for me. But, I can in no way argue with your results.
Another thing......if you have a frontal shot, that means the critter is facing you....if he doesnt know your there he will continue walking past you offering presumably a better broadside shot.
watch the video closer, I would bet the farm he was half a step from 180 and out.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
watch the video closer, I would bet the farm he was half a step from 180 and out.
Well sometimes that happens but risking a shot like that just because they "might" turn and burn?

C'mon...............
That shot wasn't that high risk. Not the preferred shot but still a killing shot. Any archer that shoots good groups would be able to make that shot. Distance was within reason. If its not your shot that is ok. Of course we can debate long range rifle shots too as being risky.
I watched the video over again and I do not think the bull was about to turn and burn (at least right away) he was looking for the cow.

Even if he was to turn and burn...and you knew anything about hunting elk, there is a great chance you could stop him with a few hard high pitched cow calls......usually stopping them and they will turn around and look one last time....that is when you release your arrow...

For a double lung hit.

I disagree that Bull knew something wasn't right. But you are entitled to your opinion. Would that double lung shot make it more dead? Because to me dead is well dead. Like I said if you are not comfortable with that shot then I respect you for not taking the shot.
Inside of 20yrds,not alert,on the same level and straight on,I'd take it every time.
I respect those who would actually have the will power to pass that shot in the heat of the moment, but at 10-20 yards, a chip shot right through the ol bread basket...I'm taking that shot. Thats a lethal shot. Yes, there is always that possibility that something goes wrong and you don't find him for 3 days, or not at all(which just sucks)...but if you miss high or a bit back on a broadside shot you may be dealing with the same issue. I like my chances with the head on shot at that angle, and that range as in the video you earlier mentioned. Each guy is different as we can tell on this subject. This debate could and probably will go on forever. I don't think there is a right or wrong...just know what you can do, and do it.
I'd pass jsut because it's such a low percentage shot and I'd get to keep hunting anyways. I think too many guys take a risky shot because in the back of thier minds it MIGHT be the ONLY shot opportunity that they MIGHT get, so they feel a risky shot is better than no shot at all when in reality, once you take a risky shot and it don't turn out with a recovery of any kind, ya gotta live with that for ever, and it just ain't worth it to me.
If that shot is that low a percentage for you. Then you need a lot more practice. If @ 20 yards or so you can't get a group of six arrows in a 1-1/2" diameter your not very good. Now take the 1-1/2" diameter and place that on the right or left chest cavity and see how much more room you have. You have a lung and major arteries and vessels then liver. My percentage within 25 yards on that shot isn't below 80%. Now add the freak chances (turn right or left and out) and that is a clean miss 80% of the time. Should he duck the shot his throat is sliced wide open. I would play those percentages. They are spades above all those long range rifle percentages.
That archer didn't even center punch the elk. IMO, he got lucky to recover it. An elk or even a deer, can go a long ways with an arrow through one lung.
My shooting ability is just fine by the way, BUT the fact of the matter is that THAT shot selection is low percentage when compared to the much preferred HIGH percentage double lung broadside shot. In your mind it's worth the risk, maybe because of the big antlers. But, maybe it's because I already have killed critters with big anlters, to me, it ain't worth the risk.

For reference I expect my groups to fall in the 1" rule. In other words, at 10 yards I expect my arrows to practically touch. At 20 yards I expect all arrows to fit in a 2" circle, at 30 yards all arrows fall in a 3" circle, etc. out to 60 yards.
If that shot is that low a percentage for you. Then you need a lot more practice. If @ 20 yards or so you can't get a group of six arrows in a 1-1/2" diameter your not very good. Now take the 1-1/2" diameter and place that on the right or left chest cavity and see how much more room you have. You have a lung and major arteries and vessels then liver. My percentage within 25 yards on that shot isn't below 80%. Now add the freak chances (turn right or left and out) and that is a clean miss 80% of the time. Should he duck the shot his throat is sliced wide open. I would play those percentages. They are spades above all those long range rifle percentages.

With all do respect, as you mentioned(we are all very much entitled to our opinion) I disagree a 100 percent. Have you ever seen the deflection of arrows off tiny twigs/sticks??...sometimes this leads to a matter of feet. Had that shot of been to the left, he may have hit that rather HARD bone/cartilage in the chest, resulting in a very much wounded animal.

On two quartering away shots on deer from a ground blind, my arrow has hit this exact bone/cartilage in the chest and it has stopped the arrow nearly dead on the spot. These were with cut on contact broad heads as well, with modern equipment...I guess the point is, if a deer stops the arrow, what would an elk do??..lack of energy results in a lack of penetration on heavy bone or structure.

Now, as you mentioned if the elk DID turn to the left/right on a frontal shot, the "clean miss" would be much lower percentage then the 80% you mentioned...my reasoning being, if you watch the video, as the elk turned to run--what happens when he is hit?? He turns, and reveals a very LARGE hind quarter..pierce that with an arrow/bullet or any other non lethal part of his body and you better strap on some running shoes.

Just my opinion,

MK
I say the guys who advocate taking that front on shot dont have much if any bow hunting experience........
As I said in the other thread, that bull was NOT shot where the bull would tie a bow tie (center of the sternum and high where there are no vitals). That would be a stupid shot at best. It will kill a deer quick with a good compound bow, because the arrow will easily penetrate the soft sternum (I've done this several times). An arrow will NOT penetrate an elk sternum.

He shot the bull to the right of the sternum in the ribs and left of the shoulder blade and low, in line with the vitals. This is a clear path to the heart, lungs, liver and all the blood vessels in between. It is a very lethal shot. It is a small target for sure, but if a guy can hit very small targets with boring monotony at under 20 yards, it's an easy kill.

I have killed several critters with the exact same shot and it kills them extremely fast. I wouldn't take this shot over 20 yards, due to animal jumping the string or other weird archery things happening. Again, it is a small target and you have to be extremely comfortable with your shooting. It definitely isn't for everyone. If you can't do it, don't do it. The hunter knew exactly what he was doing in the video. That wasn't his first rodeo. Flinch
Tom, Guys that make that shot and are very comfortable with it have a LOT of archery experience. Guys that simply flip arrows anywhere hoping one gets into the vitals on a frontal shot are the idiots. But they are the guys that take a quiver full of arrows into the field every day and come bag bragging about how many shots they got laugh Flinch
Originally Posted by Flinch
He shot the bull to the right of the sternum in the ribs and left of the shoulder blade and low, in line with the vitals. This is a clear path to the heart, lungs, liver and all the blood vessels in between. It is a very lethal shot. It is a small target for sure, but if a guy can hit very small targets with boring monotony at under 20 yards, it's an easy kill.

Flinch you got it right. But we can sit here trying to explain it to them for years and it will never sink into them.
Originally Posted by Tom264
I say the guys who advocate taking that front on shot dont have much if any bow hunting experience........

You are right, I have never even seen a bow let alone hunt with one. Have never killed anything with a bow or gun. You caught me.
Originally Posted by TRnCO
That archer didn't even center punch the elk. IMO, he got lucky to recover it. An elk or even a deer, can go a long ways with an arrow through one lung.

In other words, at 10 yards I expect my arrows to practically touch. At 20 yards I expect all arrows to fit in a 2" circle, at 30 yards all arrows fall in a 3" circle, etc. out to 60 yards.

That archer wasn't trying to center punch the elk, this is why it isn't a good shot for you to be taking. You don't even understand where the arrow needs to go.

You have low expectations of your accuracy. I would recommend not shooting much past 25 yards with your standards.
Read

Practice, practice, practice..... Like I have said over and over if it isn't the shot for you then don't take it. But don't bash the guy on the video for making a shot you can't. Oh and you don't even know where the arrow needed to go.

Practice, practice, practice..... Like I have said over and over if it isn't the shot for you then don't take it. But don't bash the guy on the video for making a shot you can't.
Didnt "bash" the guy just stating the fact it is a poor shot angle.
Oh and you don't even know where the arrow needed to go.
What do you mean by that? is that supposed to be a slam?
That archer wasn't trying to center punch the elk, this is why it isn't a good shot for you to be taking. You don't even understand where the arrow needs to go.

You have low expectations of your accuracy. I would recommend not shooting much past 25 yards with your standards

And you know this how? Were you the archer in the video? If not, how do you KNOW where he wanted to hit the elk?

I don't compete in archery, but I'm quite sure my shooting ability is plenty good enough to take a shot past 25 yards, but I'll keep your recommendation in mind! whistle Let me guess, you expect robinhoods out to 60 yards.
I expect you to know that center mass isn't where you want the arrow to go.
Kill zone on a frontal shot on an elk is the size of small cantalope.30+years of hunting and shooting bows gives me all the confidence I need to execute that shot given the parameters I posted earlier.YMMV
HighCountry46 a small cantalope @ 20 yards is just too small a target and high risk! LMAO
Back in 97' I shot this Antelope in Wyoming at 49 yds, I shot him in that "wonderful" frontal shot.

You can see in the picture my broadhead sticking out of his rear leg, the fletchings are barely visible in the "frontal" area underneath the bow.

[Linked Image]

After I shot him (at 49 yds.....cause I'm just that good wink ) he ran off about 100 yds away only to stand there about 5 minutes before laying down......he didnt die for about 25 minutes.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Finally dead.
[Linked Image]

Now, if that were a Whitetail deer or an Elk I am quite sure there would have been little to 0 chance of recovery but fortunately it was Wyoming where I can see for miles in every direction.

Now wanna come at me with a small cantaloupe theory? cause I know darned well the kill zone on a Antelope is much smaller than an Elks.
What can we say but you are amazing?
What I'm saying is I have been there and done it, I'm not guessing at this game.

By the way I believe that I said within 25 yards I would make that shot. You decided to try it at 49 yards. What more can we say but you are amazing?
All I do is guess, I like guessing. Seeing I have never owned a bow or hunted all I can do is guess.
Our whitetails are not large. I"ve killed over 100 head of big game, hogs and deer mostly, wiht my bow. So take this for what its worth.

I've seen more than a few frontal shots and if hit just right, its gravy... but its a small target. On an animal that almost always moves before the arrow gets there.

Add in the fact that the ribs are staggered like fish scales and form a shield from the front, mother natures way of providing protection, if the hit isn't perfect, then it often slides under the skin but not into the vitals at all.

The opposite from this is that the angled away from you shot, the ribs are stacked to catch an arrow and basically help or force it to penetrate. Thats a nice one to take IMHO.

FWIW I'd never ever shoot a facing on deer ever again with an arrow. If you nail the heart, fine. But err a bit and get only one lung or part of a liver etc.... its going to be slow going and one lung won't always kill a deer.

I'd imagine simply that an elk, had I any experience on them, would be only tougher than a deer. Of course it may be true that elk don't move at the shot like a deer does. And if thats the case, then at close range, it should be a fairly easy target to hit. But video I"ve seen from elk, also tells me they move more than you'd think..... Hitting a canteloupe at 20 yards.. no problem. Not having time to figure if its 20 or 25 or 15 yards..... and the idea that at the release the animal will move some, but who knows how much or which way.... nah, not on an animal for me. Elk or otherwise.

NO would be the answer I'd give from my whitetail experiences.
Hmmm.The three frontal shots I've taken,all whitetail does, died within sight,all taken at 20 or less.A 49 yard frontal... now thats a shot I would pass on.
HighCountry46 a small cantalope @ 20 yards is just too small a target and high risk! LMAO

You have an animal that's on alert and facing you and you have NO idea when it's going to spin around and leave the area. If this were a damn 3D competition we could all probably hit a cantaloupe sized target at 20 yards. The the cantaloupe sized target is a breath away from leaving the country it's a lot more difficult and impossible to predict.

A good shot and a good shot selection are two different things. This shot selection is piss poor
Originally Posted by MK257

With all do respect, as you mentioned(we are all very much entitled to our opinion) I disagree a 100 percent. Have you ever seen the deflection of arrows off tiny twigs/sticks??...sometimes this leads to a matter of feet. Had that shot of been to the left, he may have hit that rather HARD bone/cartilage in the chest, resulting in a very much wounded animal.

On two quartering away shots on deer from a ground blind, my arrow has hit this exact bone/cartilage in the chest and it has stopped the arrow nearly dead on the spot. These were with cut on contact broad heads as well, with modern equipment...I guess the point is, if a deer stops the arrow, what would an elk do??..lack of energy results in a lack of penetration on heavy bone or structure.

Now, as you mentioned if the elk DID turn to the left/right on a frontal shot, the "clean miss" would be much lower percentage then the 80% you mentioned...my reasoning being, if you watch the video, as the elk turned to run--what happens when he is hit?? He turns, and reveals a very LARGE hind quarter..pierce that with an arrow/bullet or any other non lethal part of his body and you better strap on some running shoes.

Just my opinion,

MK

BTW a hindquarter is a VERY lethal part of an animal if the right arteries are hit center of the ham.. Much better than an arrow stopped by a bone from penetration
I've shot a good dozen deer in the center of the chest facing me. I killed every one of them. Then, 3 seasons ago, I had a nice 8pt, which happened to be the biggest buck I'd ever seen come in to my rattling. He was in a briar thicket 35 yds away. I froze and sat in my tree forever until he finally started walking. He stopped in between 2 trees giving me a head on shot at 25 yards. There was brush and branches, but nothing in the way. If I put the arrow in the center of the chest, there would be no problem. The buck raised his head and pointed his nose straight up in the air. I drew and shot. The deer turned and started to run into the briars. It got it's antlers stuck and did a forward roll. I could see the blood running down his belly. He got up and took a bound and fell flat on his knees. He got up and disappeared into the briars. I saw him pop out about 50 yards away and he stood there and shook his coat like a wet dog and walked off.

I waited 3 hours for my friend to come and we looked for him. On the ground where I shot him was a line of cut fur about a foot long and lots of blood. My arrow was in the bushes. It had fur on 1 blade and the back of the arrow was covered with blood. Nothing up front. We followed splotches of blood about 200 yards and the buck went in a stream. We followed drops in the water, on a leaf, a rock... He came out and we followed another 300 yards and the trail stopped. I went back the next day and searched the whole wood lot. I never saw the deer again.

Now, I have this problem. Do I stop taking the shot because it's a risky shot or do I keep taking it because I poorly shot the arrow. I didn't hit the center of the chest I was aiming at. The other dozen times worked out fine. My friend, who has killed hundreds of deer on damage permits says "on the ground, definitely." "Up a tree, it's a bit more risky." In the last 2 seasons, I haven't taken the shot. I did shoot a big 200 pound 8pt at 46 yards quartering away that gave me a 30 yard shot facing me. I let him walk thinking I'd never see him again but he didn't like something and started walking away. I hit him where I was aiming and he went about 50 yards and cashed it in.

I shoot a lot and a day or two before, I was having my way with the club's button buck target at 50 and 60 yards. I knew my pins were on and I was shooting well. He's my confidence booster. I had him at 40 yards between two trees for practice one morning, and shot a little doe at 40 yards between two trees that night. 46 yards is the farthest I've ever shot at a deer but I felt good about it at the time, and was missing very small in practice. I'm spending $3,000 to go to Kansas this year and I'm probably not going to shoot the buck of my lifetime "in the bow tie" either. They're talking about 50 yard shots though, and I've been practicing. I took the 60 pin off the bow though. If I'm not shooting gangbusters when I'm leaving, the 50 yd pin is coming off too!
rob p I agree with what your friend says to a degree. It really depends on the angle of the shot from your tree stand. If it is a steep angle I would pass it everytime. If the angle is pretty flat I would take the shot. The shot you described sounds like you were low and punched it thru the brisket. High chance that buck made it to another season.
I figure if I"m bowhunting I"m willing to accept not taking a shot. If I feel the need to kill if given a chance, I'll grab a gun and usually a large one, with a good Barnes bullet... so that I don't have to pass up any shot offered and still succeed.

For me, a quartering away shot does it all and very well, and thats typically what I wait for... I won't risk them seeing me draw, or seeing the release and or arrow coming at them... Its just the case taht just like Rob, sooner or later its going to bite you. And I"d rather have favor on my side and pass for a better higher percentage shot.

Of course this comes from having shot more than a few with archery gear of all types, and from being on a lease where I've seen MANY more shot... I bet I"ve been around well over 500 bowkills of pigs, deer, javelina.... Frontal is one that just doesn't rank up there as an acceptable risk for me.

But I totally agree with MCH... from what you describe, I suspect that deer was none the worse for wear.

Jeff
Tom, what they heck are you shooting it in the throat for? Your shot isn't even close to surgically placing an arrow in the vitals between the sternum and shoulder at well under 20 yards. You shot too high...period and missed the vitals, yet use that bad shot as your example? What the heck were you thinking? I'm sure the buck bled like crazy and you got him, even though it was a piss poor shot? With a shot like that, yes, you were lucky and the animal lived a long time, but your shot isn't remotely close to the one on the video. You don't take frontal shots over 20 yards. You blew it on all accounts. I can see why you are all in a lather here. Flinch
Hey Flinch, heres an FYI.....The shot was NOT in the throat!!!! it was basically in the same area as the Elk in the video, just a little higher. (IT WAS BETWEEN THE STERNUM AND SHOULDER JUST LIKE HIS ONLY A TAD HIGHER)

The arrow went through 1 lung, Liver, Stomach, Intestines missing the Heart and the other Lung.

I hit where I was aiming period!!!! How can you call that a piss poor shot and hail the guy on the Elk video.....didnt they both die??? I mean come-on.....

Oh and for the record, I hunt with and talk to a lot of friends before, during, and after hunting season and we all have come to the conclusion that the frontal shot is NOT a high percentage shot and should NOT be taken.

But hey YOU do what YOU want in YOUR neck of the woods but if you ever came to my or my friends farms and ever spouted off saying you would take a frontal shot or ever do, you can guarantee you would NEVER be asked back!
I once shot an elk in some brush at 32 yards that was off to my right and coming straight in. He didn't present me with a broadside shot and all I could see was from the middle of his front shoulder forward. He wasn't a huge elk (5x5) but he would be my first if I decided I could make the shot.

So I took the shot and put the arrow just under the right side and below his chin, into his neck. Completely blew out his jugular and he didn't go 100 yards before he piled up. That was the only shot I had and it was risky but I had the confidence to make it.

Moral is, just because someone takes a risky shot doesn't mean it's a bad shot to him, might be to someone else and they wouldn't take it, and there's nothing wrong with that.

And with todays gear, if your shooting 6 arrows into a 1 1/2" group at 20 yards, your going to go through a [bleep] of arrows in no time. BTDT.
They make a three spot target just for that reason.
I shoot an 18 in 1 myself so no more [bleep] up arrows for me.

http://www.rinehart3d.com/products/#c12
I shoot the 18-1 too but only with broadheads to make sure everything is right. So that target doesn't get a lot of use.
Mine gets used a lot and gets both broadheads and field points. I like to throw it around to see if my range finding skillz are on or not.
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I once shot an elk in some brush at 32 yards that was off to my right and coming straight in. He didn't present me with a broadside shot and all I could see was from the middle of his front shoulder forward. He wasn't a huge elk (5x5) but he would be my first if I decided I could make the shot.

So I took the shot and put the arrow just under the right side and below his chin, into his neck. Completely blew out his jugular and he didn't go 100 yards before he piled up. That was the only shot I had and it was risky but I had the confidence to make it.

Moral is, just because someone takes a risky shot doesn't mean it's a bad shot to him, might be to someone else and they wouldn't take it, and there's nothing wrong with that.

And with todays gear, if your shooting 6 arrows into a 1 1/2" group at 20 yards, your going to go through a [bleep] of arrows in no time. BTDT.

The juglar isn't maybe 3/8 inch wide at the most on an elk. could be half an inch. You are saying that on a wild animal, that will likely move at teh release of the arrow, you can nail that target every last time? I say you were damn lucky on that shot. I've been damn lucky too.
Hunting farm deer...you are amazing! Do you have feeders set out to "bait" in the deer too? If you are all that anal and can't make an easy 20 yard frontal shot, I wouldn't hunt with you...or your "group". I won't hunt with groups period.

So you all make perfect broadside hits all the time hu? So when you hunt from your elevated stands, how big is the target you are shooting at? Is it the size of one lung, the heart? You can't hit all those organs at once, right? The kills zone is about 6-8" or so right? So you won't take a frontal shot at a 6-8" target, but you will from above? What is the difference? It is all about placing the arrow where it needs to go every time. It doesn't matter (within reason), what the angle is if the vitals are exposed. You are good at it. Flinch
Fact: every shot including frontal, broadside, and quartering away is risky.

Frontal: You could rake the shoulder, or hit too high in the neck.

Broadside: You could hit too far back, or too high, or hit shoulder.

Quartering away: You could hit too far back, or in the shoulder.

I personally think the double lung is the best hit, but that doesn't mean trying for it is without risk.
...EXACTLY!!!!!!! Flinch
Hunting farm deer...you are amazing! Do you have feeders set out to "bait" in the deer too?
Oh geez, you are so stupid!....farm deer is "WILD" deer...you know the kind that roams around freely..hopping from one farm to the next....hopping over and diving under the farmers 3' tall barbwire fences!! no wonder you dont know anything you are so uneducated on hunting midwest deer.

News flash!!! 90% of Indiana's deer herd live on farms!! but your too smart to know that!! arent you? smirk the other 10% live in deep woods and never see a farm.
If you are all that anal and can't make an easy 20 yard frontal shot, I wouldn't hunt with you...or your "group". I won't hunt with groups period.

I CAN make that shot but due to the low percentage of recovery I chose NOT to make that shot...chances the deer will turn broadside or walk on past allowing me a better angle.

Also because you seem really stupid I/we dont hunt in "groups" maybe 2-3 guys at most at one time on a 300 acre farm.

So you all make perfect broadside hits all the time hu? So when you hunt from your elevated stands, how big is the target you are shooting at? Is it the size of one lung, the heart? You can't hit all those organs at once, right?
Only need to take out the lungs...what I aim for.
The kills zone is about 6-8" or so right? So you won't take a frontal shot at a 6-8" target, but you will from above?
Where do you get that I will take a frontal shot from above?
What is the difference? It is all about placing the arrow where it needs to go every time. It doesn't matter (within reason), what the angle is if the vitals are exposed.
Stick with guns....seems archery just aint for you.
Even the professionals dont know what they're talking about acording to Flinch.

Laffin'
Even the professionals dont know what they're talking about acording to Flinch.

Laffin'

Flinch is an idiot.
I hunt on right about 300 acres of State land. A good day for me is only two or three other guys there. But I am not complaining at least I have a place to hunt. I haven't killed a "book" deer but I have done ok.

No feeders or baiting allowed.
I took that shot on a whitetail a while back, probably about 20 yards. He jumped the string just a tiny bit and thankfully ran about 30 yards to my left staying about 20 yards away and stopped again.

I was able to knock another arrow and he dropped within 20 more yards.

If I hadn't been able to get that second arrow off, I'm sure I would have lost him. Won't be trying it again, deer or elk.
...Coming from the asss clown that brags about wounding big mule deer with a rifle, you are definitely the idiot here. You and Tom should be BFS's, swap spit and brag about the T.V. hunting shows you watched this weekend. That is where you both get all your bow hunting experience, especially you drumdum. When was the last time you killed anything with a bow, let alone an elk??? We are all ears. Your armchair expertise cracks me up. Flinch
I have not read the whole thread but its not a good shot you have basicaly a softball sized hole if you hit that your golden but if you miss you will have a mess. You may not even have any blood to track a elk and you have the neck hair that asorbes a lot of blood. The brisket on a elk is almost as bad as the shoulder bone and it can deflect the arrow and a elk can cover a lot of ground with a single lung. With very little blood to track your in your trouble.

...Coming from the asss clown that brags about wounding big mule deer with a rifle, you are definitely the idiot here. You and Tom should be BFS's, swap spit and brag about the T.V. hunting shows you watched this weekend. That is where you both get all your bow hunting experience, especially you drumdum. When was the last time you killed anything with a bow, let alone an elk??? We are all ears. Your armchair expertise cracks me up. Flinch

I dont know why I even respond to you Flinch, I feel like I'm beating up on a retarted kid. That is not a good shot selection, its lethal when you hit them in the right spot but there are too many variables that make this a horrible shot selection. I am sorry that your too damn stupid to comprehend this.

Please provide a quote for the folks here where I "bragged" about wounding a deer. You stupid SOB, I wasnt even the one that took the shot, I was guiding. Please, post up a link or a quote where I was "bragging" about it.

As for your trying to attack my experience level, simply pathetic. I havent killed an animal with my bow in over a decade and I've only killed a handful of animals with a rifle and/or muzzleloader in that time. My job is taking others hunting and thats what I do. I've been doing it for 20 years. I really dont need to try to justify my experience to somebody that thinks that this shot selection is a good/ethical shot to take. That tells me all I need to know about your "experience", or lack thereof
One more thing Flinch, you talking ethics is ridiculous. You have still never provided a shred of proof that those malicious lies you posted about another hunter had any truth to them. You are a gawd damned liar and the worst kind of human. You are a waste of space

I guess you would rather be a scumbag piece of chit rather than admit you were wrong
I don't own a bow, as such I have never bow hunted. Both my brothers have quite a bit. That said, my father gave me good advice when he first took me to the field. Granted it was with a rifle, but I think the principle still applies here.

"Never, EVER, shoot at a deer."

"Dad, if I don't shoot at hit how will we get it!?"

"Again, don't you dare EVER shoot at a deer. Shoot at a SPOT on the deer."

Basically, know exactly where your bullet/arrow is going to impact before you pull the trigger/release the string.

Those that KNOW what their projectile is going to do can call certain shots a low risk, where those that THINK they know what it will do have to agree that those shots are indeed high risk...... for THEM.

Take that any way you like.
Originally Posted by cal74
I took that shot on a whitetail a while back, probably about 20 yards. He jumped the string just a tiny bit and thankfully ran about 30 yards to my left staying about 20 yards away and stopped again.

I was able to knock another arrow and he dropped within 20 more yards.

If I hadn't been able to get that second arrow off, I'm sure I would have lost him. Won't be trying it again, deer or elk.

Herein is the answer to all this BS.... he jumped the string just a bit... Hell lets be totally honest, that sweet spot is about the size of the brain.... It'd be as easy to sink a broadhean into the ear socket as it would that sweet spot... and the only reason I dont'... is due to possible movement... Its something you can't control, and at what... 300 or so FPS from a fast bow, its an issue. Its not an issue much at all at 3000 fps...
You and Tom should be BFS's, swap spit and brag about the T.V. hunting shows you watched this weekend. That is where you both get all your bow hunting experience, especially you drumdum. When was the last time you killed anything with a bow, let alone an elk??? We are all ears. Your armchair expertise cracks me up. Flinch
Your such an idiot!! seems not many here agree with your "archery wisdom"....wonder why? Laffin'

You wanna ask ME the same question about when was the last time I killed anything with a bow.....?

I got pics.

Wanna answer this for me there mr. armchair hunter.

Yeah, but that can go with any shot. I busted a bull a couple of years ago in the arm pit with a 4 blade head, complete pass through. Very little blood, chased him for a couple of hours. Found him the next morning. The arrow had gone between the heart and lungs somehow.
Bull!!!

Your full of crap!

Show me HOW that happened!

[Linked Image]
Just trying to help the idiot out here..........

Elk anatomy and shot placement....by the experts! Laffin'
One thing is for sure, broadside shots have a very good chance of hitting TWO lungs and the frontal shot has nearly zero chance of hitting TWO lungs. Why anyone wants to argue that the frontal shot is as high of a percentage shot as the broadside shot is, is beyond me.
On a broadside elk, the lung area is about 16"-18" and if ya get one, chances are very high that you'll get'em both. Can't do that from the front.
Yep, but dont tell Flinch that....he's a Pro-fesh-anal. wink
A frontal can get both lungs, but it can easily or easier, not get both.

Thats not something anyone with a bit of sense would attempt, at least IMHO after many years and many animals down with a bow....
Originally Posted by rost495

Thats not something anyone with a bit of sense would attempt

Well I doubt anybody has ever accused Flinch of having any sense grin
Didn't read the entire thread, but IME you shouldn't shoot any animal head on.

I've arrowed my share of whitetails, with recurves and compounds...and I have killed a few with head on shots, but they were from the ground and not from an elevated stand.

If I hadn't had a dog, I would have lost 1 of those deer.

Problem #1- If the animal is looking at you he can react to the shot (ie duck, move). I understand some bows today are like rifles but all he has to do is move a few inches and you have problems.

Problem#2- If you attempt that shot from an elevated stand, you are almost guaranteed to [bleep] it up. I've had to track too many that boneheads shot, not realizing that from an elevated stand, the vitals are covered by the head and neck. They aim for the brisket and end up wounding the animal or sticking a shoulder.

The worst was a 160 class buck that a fella I was guiding got excited about and drew on too early. Instead of listening to me, he let one go and ran it thru the left shoulder.

We found that buck dead 3 days later in a pond...
Originally Posted by MK257

Just my opinion,

MK

BTW a hindquarter is a VERY lethal part of an animal if the right arteries are hit center of the ham.. Much better than an arrow stopped by a bone from penetration

I agree, however, IF those arteries aren't hit(as I am sure you will agree), there again...you are going to be after a wounded animal. I personally am not a gamblin' man, and have the self control necessary to hold back on marginal shots.

With that being said, when I was a kid, I shot a doe in the hind quarter with a .30-30 at probably 15 yards..she took about two steps and bled like I shot her heart. As you could imagine, there is a reason for the hind quarter shot--To much glass, and not enough experience grin At 15 yards(approx.) a hind quarter looks a lot like a front shoulder when your amped on adrenaline aiming at your first deer..grins
I'd be hard pressed to say that a frontal shot even with the animal moving, is a higher percentage shot than my long range shots. Of course my level of proficiency with a rifle may be above yours too.
Wanna answer this for me there mr. armchair hunter.

Yeah, but that can go with any shot. I busted a bull a couple of years ago in the arm pit with a 4 blade head, complete pass through. Very little blood, chased him for a couple of hours. Found him the next morning. The arrow had gone between the heart and lungs somehow.
Bull!!!

Your full of crap!

Show me HOW that happened!

[Linked Image]

Bump for the armchair hunter.
Bump for the professional client ass wiper and baby sitter. Congratulations? Flinch
Originally Posted by huntsonora
[quote=Flinch]

I dont know why I even respond to you Flinch, I feel like I'm beating up on a retarted kid.

I feel the same about you drumdum. I like pulling your pig tails, hearing you squeal like a little girl, then running to the teacher to tell on me. It's never not funny. I can cast my lure into the same pool over and over and you will keep biting the same hook. I don't even have to change the presentation. Now, who is the real idiot? Flinch
Flinch, no matter your lingo.... You will never be a bigstick.

Congratulations?

Laffin'

Btw gonna answer the question I asked?
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

The juglar isn't maybe 3/8 inch wide at the most on an elk. could be half an inch. You are saying that on a wild animal, that will likely move at teh release of the arrow, you can nail that target every last time? I say you were damn lucky on that shot. I've been damn lucky too.
I didn't say I could make that shot every time, didn't even say I would TAKE that shot again but at that time I felt good about it so I took it. And luck had nothing to do with that shot, the arrow went right where I wanted it too, so how is that luck? I've had other opportunities on other game that were probably easier but factors played into it where I didn't feel comfortable taking the shot so I didn't.
Originally Posted by huntsonora
[quote=Flinch]

I dont know why I even respond to you Flinch, I feel like I'm beating up on a retarted kid.

I feel the same about you drumdum. I like pulling your pig tails, hearing you squeal like a little girl, then running to the teacher to tell on me. It's never not funny. I can cast my lure into the same pool over and over and you will keep biting the same hook. I don't even have to change the presentation. Now, who is the real idiot? Flinch

So you say stupid [bleep] on purpose just to make me call you on it? Your dumber than any of us thought possible.

Well apparently ol Flinch aint gonna answer my question.....you guys draw your own conclusion.....

I already have... wink
I've read most of this thread, and IMO a frontal shot is never a high percentage shot. I've killed several critters with everything but a crossbow. I took one frontal shot on a doe once, put the arrow exactly where I wanted it to go, and she did die.

looking back I shouldn't have taken the shot, yeah it worked but had it been different just a little bit it would have been bad news. I go with the odds, and a broadside shot trumps all. and really it has nothing to do with how confident you are with your shooting, you shouldn't even be out hunting with a bow if you can't put the arrows where you want them. but expecting nothing to change in the split second from the release to impact is wishful thinking at best. animals move, they raise or lower their heads, they side step, something could make them turn, you name it. chit happens. granted not all the time, but it can and does. I'm not about to risk wounding a deer or elk because of that factor.
© 24hourcampfire