Home
Posted By: ShortMagFan Broadheads - 08/15/11
G5/T3 or Spitfire? 62 pound bow at 28". Other recomendations? Back to bow hunting this year for the first time in 12 years. To say the technology has come a long way is an understatement...
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Broadheads - 08/15/11
SLICK TRICK. 100 grain. Why tempt Murphy to show up unexpectedly on a hunt? Slick Tricks are my go to head. Muzzy MX4 is my back up. Both shoot to same POI.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Broadheads - 08/15/11
I hear ya. How do they shoot vs your field points?
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Broadheads - 08/15/11
Yep, things have changed in years past...good thing Muzzy hasn't.

100 grn Muzzy 3 blade.
Posted By: ribka Re: Broadheads - 08/15/11
Thunderhead, slick tricks, muzzy and my favorite magnus. Stay away from the latest gimicks and fads ( RAGE)
Posted By: DarkStar Re: Broadheads - 08/15/11
Another vote for Slick Tricks.....
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Broadheads - 08/15/11
I opted for the 75 grain 4 blade Muzzy's this year, you're right they have been good for a long long time. if it aint broke...
Posted By: fyshbum Re: Broadheads - 08/15/11
Like the others have said. I would rather trust what has worked for me for the last decade than the "next new thing".
At 62#'s you are at the low end to be sure you get the needed penetration for expanding heads at all angles. I have had rage 2 blades vear off in weird directions on angled shots. Broadside and ground level they do fine. Treestand quartering angles not so much. I gave them a try for two seasons, took five deer with them and have questioned their effectiveness over a well made fixed blade. I went back to fixed muzzy 4 blades last year.

Muzzy, g5's, hellrazor, slick trick, thunderhead,... all work and do not have to be checked to be sure they are ready before you shoot and resharpen much easier to boot. Besides if I have to pay more than $10 per broadhead I want it to last and ALWAYS work.

Accuracy is just as easily obtained from the above fixed blades as the expandables, for me anyway.
Thanks for all the comments. Ok, I am sold on fixed blades. Used to use the thunderheads and never got into mechanicals back in the 90s when I used to bow hunt.

What are the views on 3 vs 4 blade and razor tip vs pointed. Seems like even the fixed blade brands have their next best thing too
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Broadheads - 08/15/11
4 blade Cut on Contact. No need for the chiesle point if you put the arrow were it needs to go.

tedthorn muzzy's have changed,as everyone else did following slick tricks.
Posted By: duxndogs Re: Broadheads - 08/15/11
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
SLICK TRICK. 100 grain.

What he said

Posted By: fyshbum Re: Broadheads - 08/15/11
I have always favored the four blade versions for the extra cutting surface. I always liked the way the four blade muzzy's locked together. They are very, very strong.
But the three blade versions have done well with those I hunt with.
I was in an archery only club in South Carolina and saw more deer taken with Thunderheads and Muzzy's than anything else. It is more about balancing the shaft to your bow for good flight and putting he arrow in the right spot on the animal than the number of blades.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Broadheads - 08/15/11
Slicks, they just work.
I dont touch my bow when I switch from fp to bh. Both fly to same POI or POA or whatever you want to call it. I may have to tune an occasional arrow. But I dont touch my bow or anything attached to it.
Slick Trick does make a COC head now. Haven't tried it yet, but wouldnt hesitate to fling it at a buck or bull of a lifetime. Slick Tricks flat work. Period.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Broadheads - 08/15/11
Yes they are called Razor Tricks and they are better then slick Tricks!
Like i said, havent tried them yet. Good ol slick tricks have worked for me without fail. But maybe one day i'll try the razor tricks
Sounds like slick tricks are the way to go. Thanks everyone
Posted By: knifeman Re: Broadheads - 08/16/11
Smokebroadheads. RAMCAT
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Broadheads - 08/16/11
Originally Posted by fyshbum
I have always favored the four blade versions for the extra cutting surface. I always liked the way the four blade muzzy's locked together. They are very, very strong

That is what I am shooting this year. I always hone the tips on a fine stone to remove burrs.
Posted By: fyshbum Re: Broadheads - 08/16/11
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by fyshbum
I have always favored the four blade versions for the extra cutting surface. I always liked the way the four blade muzzy's locked together. They are very, very strong

That is what I am shooting this year. I always hone the tips on a fine stone to remove burrs.

Same here. Just made sense to turn it into a COC. I started with the muzzy's when they first came out. I have taken several dozen deer with them. I still have some of the 150 grainers. Mostly used the 130's, then the 115's. Shooting the 100's now.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Broadheads - 08/16/11
NAP Thunderheads are my choice .
Posted By: prm Re: Broadheads - 08/17/11
The G5 Montec is a nice BH.
Posted By: Holston Re: Broadheads - 08/17/11
I started out with Muzzy 4 blades, which did a fine job.

Decided to give the Magnus Stingers a shot, loved them. Used them for 5 or so years.

Bought some Slick Tricks last year and have switched to them now. Best made and flying broadhead I've seen. I don't think I could want much more out of a broadhead.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Broadheads - 08/18/11
Slick Trick 100 grain mags. Work well out of a 65 lb AlphaMax...
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Broadheads - 08/18/11
I only have a PSE at 60#, I better stick with Muzzy then smile
Posted By: carlm Re: Broadheads - 08/19/11
I have a Double Bull 360 Matrix ground blind. One minor point. If you want to shoot thru the mesh windows, they recommend a COC blade. I shoot 85 gr G5's as my bow is only 40-50# (bad shoulders), but would like to try other COC's.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Broadheads - 08/21/11
Originally Posted by bea175
NAP Thunderheads are my choice .

when I shot wheel bows, these were my choice. They were very effective and dam near indestructible. Of course I've never seen a slick trick. now'a days I tend to go a little retro. wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Broadheads - 08/23/11
[Linked Image]

I'm very impressed by the tissue damage from NEF Thunder Heads. I'm not focused upon trying anything else!!

Sherwood
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Broadheads - 08/25/11
I have tried both mechanical heads you are considering and the Spitfire's flew best for me, and I think are a little tougher........Good luck..........Hillbilly.
Posted By: rob p Re: Broadheads - 08/25/11
I use spitfires. I just bought 3 packs because NAP has their $10 rebates again. I buy 3 packs a year, turn 1 into practice heads, and use the rest on deer.

I've been using them for 20 years. They're still NAP's #1 broadhead and they make a dozen. I use the 100 grain heads on Gold Tip 7595's. I've shot about 75 deer with them. My buddy on damage permits stopped counting at 300. I've got a 200 pound 8 pt on the wall I shot quartering away out through the chest with one. I'm going to Kansas for the hunt of a lifetime in October and 8 out of 10 of us are using them. We all shoot them. We all shoot bowtech bows, quickspin vanes, and gold tip arrows. There are probably 20 more people at my rod and gun club that do the same. It all started with me and another guy, and it has caught on. Everyone seems to be happy so far.
Posted By: jasonlemire31 Re: Broadheads - 08/25/11
Trophy Ridge Buck Blasters!They leave 2 3/4 inch exit holes.Three fixed blades and three expendables.It's like somebody just throws buckets of blood around after a hit.Even bad hits,you will never NOT recover your deer.Practicing sucks with them because the blades break, cause of the extreme drag.But once your sighted in forget about it!They are the best destroyer in the woods hands down.They make a bigger mess than a 1 once shotgun slug on deer.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Broadheads - 08/25/11
I have seen two nice bucks and a big doe killed by the Trophy Ridge Buck Blasters. None of those deer had an exit hole.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Broadheads - 08/25/11
Needless to say I wasn't very impressed.
Posted By: jasonlemire31 Re: Broadheads - 08/26/11
You need heavy draw weight and a heaver arrow for these to leave a nice exit wound.As I said, there is alot of drag, do to the large cutting surface.They are pure killers when they hit.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Broadheads - 08/26/11
300fps with a FMJ arrow isn't enough for a pass thru? Really? Well then you ain't getting many pass thru shots with those. That was on the Doe. I am not sure what the two bucks where killed with. I will find out tomorrow.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Broadheads - 08/26/11
Why is it people these days cant grasp the concept of K.I.S.S.? The got to have the latest "media craze" in equipment. The fastest this, the biggest that. Still remember the days when a long axle to axle Golden Eagle Cam Hunter barely clocking 200fps with aluminum logs and a 125 grain muzzy that made almost no sound when shot killed animals plenty dead. Yet today, folks feel they have to try and temp the laws of physics on every hunt. I just dont get it. Yes, I have gravitated to a newer faster bow. Use carbon arrows. Fancier sight. But an arrow rest that moves and a mechanical broad head have virtually NO chance of going afield with me. I like keeping as many of the odds as I can in my favor.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Broadheads - 08/26/11
I have gone full circle with plenty of broadheads in my life. Back to Slicktricks and doubt I can be pulled away ever again. Look at the thread here with the Oregon bear.

I shot that with a 60lb switchback and a 125 grain slicktrick, the arrow went right through cutting and breaking ribs in and out, that bear had a 54" girth! I have the arrow here and can shoot another bear with it after I touch up the blades. The blood trail I followed at a walk only stopping on the steep slope where he rolled down the hill thru brush. In those two places the brush sprung back up and covered the ground. It was however easy enough to see the path he took and the spots of blood along the way.

There is just nothing else I have used that eliminates all the braodhead issues like a slicktrick.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Broadheads - 08/26/11
I like long and slow. Like this one Hoyt Vantage LTD just look past the short fast one next to it. LOL

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jasonlemire31 Re: Broadheads - 08/26/11
To Montana creek hunter.I had a complete pass through with a buck blasters on a four pointer.Beman ICS 400's, which are way to light,In my opinion.I Shoot a Darton AS-300 hybrid 2 1/2cam bow 70lbs.At 20yrd perfectly broadsie.The arrow landed perfect behind the leg double lung.The arrow totally passed through the deer and fell about 30 feet passed the deer.I watched the deer fall within 50yards.My father also has had many pass threws with his cross bow.Im just saying weight helps with a wide 125 GR broad head.It's just how you hit them whether you get a complete pass through.Either way they die fast!!
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Broadheads - 08/27/11
If you like them shoot em. Me I will pass and can think of a lot of other broadheads I would shoot long before those. Pass thru's on 4 pointers don't really impress me much. The doe my buddy shot dressed 183lb. He didn't hit any big bones or joints. Just a big woods Maine Whitetail Doe.

I get pass thru's with that Hoyt Vantage LTD using FMJ's and RazorTricks. Well almost complete pass thru on the Elk all but 4 inches of the arrow which fell out once it tried to run.

Haven't killed anything with the carbon matrix yet. I have no doubt that with it and the FMJ/Razortrick combo it will get the job done.

With the Toelke XX Whip Long bow and ACC's/RazorTricks I have taken one deer. Arrow went in right behind last rib thru both lungs and broadhead was poking out of the offside. I say RazorTricks Work no matter how you stack them.
Posted By: jasonlemire31 Re: Broadheads - 08/27/11
Yup I like them .I used to use wasp 100gr. sst hammers.Every deer I every hit was a pass through.The arrows would go another 50 yards after the pass through.That is why I tried the buck blasters.Make a fist size hole and slow the arrow down.I have shot a few that didn't pass through,yet ALL have died within sight.NO tracking,needed ever again.I hunt Massachusetts We have 150lbs spike horns around here.How do you like the FMJ arrows.I heard they bend easy?But talk is cheap.You seem to like them?
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Broadheads - 08/27/11
Long slow bows are a thing of the past. The "new to me" turbo hawk is smooth, quiet, faster than i'm used to, and just an overall pleasure to shoot. Still driving a biscuit, MBG 4 pin sight with .029 pins, Beeman ICS arrows, and 100gr slick tricks. My backup head is a Muzzy MX4. Only because i have had good luck in the past with Muzzy and they fly to the exact POI/POA as the slick tricks. The only mechanical anything in my setup is the release. And thats a tru ball short and sweet
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Broadheads - 08/27/11
Maybe a thing of the past for you. There are still a good number of guys that can still shooting fingers.

I hunt in Mass for deer and bear. 150lb dressed spike? Maybe 1% of the spikes in Mass will even come close to that.

As to 50 yards after a pass thru I am not even going to get into that. Fact is that just isn't happening.
Posted By: maconcountyboy Re: Broadheads - 08/28/11
any broadhead that says nap is good, i love spitfires if i were to use a fixed it will be a thunderhead fly better than a muzzy lazer sharp
© 24hourcampfire