Home
Posted By: Abner Off season Debate/Opinion time - 01/09/12
With the off season officially here in my neck of the woods, I figured I would stir the pot a bit by asking your opinion on which of these two arrows would give the best penetration on game from deer to moose.

Arrow#1- 29" carbon, 520gr., two blade STOS 160gr.BH (190 with aluminum adapter), 50gr. brass insert, FOC 23%, 175 fps.

Arrow#2- 28.5" 2117 aluminum, 630gr. two blade Bear stainless steel BH, 100gr. brass insert, FOC 17%, 165fps.

Both arrows are flying straight and sharp.
My official stand is that it won't make a bit of difference which one you use. Both are just fine.
They are both crap
Hummm???
Momentum is your best gauge for penetration(if the broadheads are similar)mass x velocity 630 grains will out penetrate 520 at those speeds
You answered your own question correctly and I agree. You won't notice much. Not much of a moose hunter but would imagine heavier is better for penetration. I use cedar arrows which I suspect are a little heavier than either of those
28 1/2" Easton acc 3-71 tipped with a 100 grain grizztrik traveling at 310 fps.....
Abner, what bow are you running them off of and what poundage? Getting ready to pick some arrows out for mine. Ever run the Carbon Express Heritage arrows?

I think I would take either of yours if they are both flying well.
I shot about the same set up in my 55 lb Border recurve. Shooting 2118's, inserts with Magnus heads. Around 550-560 grns and around 170-175 fps. Shot 3 cariboo and all shots were pass thru shots

Tuned bow, arrow and sharp COC broadheads will be fine. Either will work
Assuming both are tuned and flying straight, I'd take the Carbon arrow flying faster. I've not shot many critters with my Trad gear but from what I have seen shooting into test targets and small game, the faster carbon outpenetrates slower aluminum. I have not tried it on every medium or with lots of different arrows, but typical arrows spined for my setups (40-45# modern recurves)have repeated this test enough that I'm convinced. I have shot several elk, mule deer and other critters with carbon arrows from compounds and have had excellent results. I've also shot serveral elk, mule deer, etc. with aluminums - they were just as dead, but penetration was not as good. There are tons of variables but overall I feel the carbon arrows are better performers. Better yet, FMJ or ACC arrows - best of both worlds.
© 24hourcampfire