Home
Posted By: 30338 Toelke has arrived - 01/19/12
I will say it is dead quiet and just a joy to shoot. Making plans that include some archery tags this fall. I went with a cocobolo riser and myrtle limbs. The local Trad shop got me all setup with arrows and now just need to get practicing. A couple of pics:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1 pound 6 ounces of high country archery tackle.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/19/12
I am drooling.

Toelke make's very beautiful bows.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/19/12
fine bow made by a fine fellow. i have a couple trad buds who own toelke's, and they are as smooth and quiet as any out there. congrats on the new bow.
Thats a beautiful Toelke. I hope you fill many tags with it. Dan is the Man!
Dan's got some skills for sure!

Dober
30338 Now you make me want a new one. I might get kicked out of the house if I buy another. THANKS LOL
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/20/12
Very nice bow!
Posted By: fyshbum Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/20/12
Very nice bow,...but...why did they put the rise cut out on the wrong side??

Dan does make some nice bows. What kind of shafts are you going to shoot with it?

Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/20/12
30338, it is stunning. Congrats.
Posted By: centershot Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/20/12
That is a beautiful bow - but he cut the shelf on the wrong side. Enjoy it.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/21/12
Purdy!!!!! Enjoy.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/21/12
Thanks guys. It is running carbon express heritage 250 full length shafts with 145 grain heads really well. I need lots of practice of course but just a blast to shoot. Still need to find a hip quiver.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/21/12
You can't even let your friends hunt with it due to the darn shelf, but a beauty.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/22/12
How do you like the arrows? I'm shooting cedar shafts with 125 gr Magnus 2 blade broad heads. I've thought about carbons for ease of use and durability but tradition has won out so far.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/22/12
Great looking bow.I've shot and handles several Tolke bows.All were top notch in looks and craftsmanship.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/23/12
Initial impression of the Heritage shafts is very positive. Giving me the weight I wanted and flying very good. Dan mentioned he uses them a lot and that is probably a far better endorsement than mine.

Posted By: DanAdair Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/25/12
Dan turns out amazing longbows. They've got it all. If I could ever get over my Schafer Silvertip fetish I'd have at least one whip.

On arrows, if you're liking the 250, you might also try the Beeman MFX Heritage. 3 Rivers also has 100 grain solid brass inserts, which can bump arrow weight into the 560's with 145 heads. They come with the 50/75 grain brass break-offs now.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/25/12
Dan, I have found that the full length Carbon Express 250 with a 145 grain head goes 540 grains. Seems like they are flying great so far. I am seeing improvement about every day in group size.

Need to decide on broadheads but have a few months of getting used to this still. Also still need to chronograph this as I am curious.
Posted By: MnFn Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/28/12
Very nice. What is the draw weight?
I shoot 150 CE Heritage with my 56 lb Pronghorn. By far the most durable arrow I personally have shot.

I tried 250's but they were too stiff for me.

Enjoy it!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/28/12
MnFn, Drawing 52 pounds at 31" draw. Mr. Toelke suggested the setup I am using and it seems to be real good. Thinking the extra draw length is allowing it work better for me.

After shooting compounds for 30 years, I have to say that this traditional stuff is really fun. I keep the bow strung and step out back to shoot several times a day.

Posted By: DanAdair Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/28/12
The new 150 Werewolves are friggin impressive. I ran those on Beeman 400 MFXs with 100 grain brass inserts on a 60 pound recurve last fall. I punched 2 doe tags on the river bottom with them... Made me change my mind about 2 blades.

As far as groups. They're overrated. As long as your hitting close to the spot you picked at any given unknown yardage, you're good to go [smartasssmirk] Seriously, I bareshaft tune my setups, remembering to add 12-15 grains tailweight with blue tape to simulate fletching. Nock high is pretty standard, tune the left right out of it and then papertune the up/down out of it and rock on.
Posted By: MnFn Re: Toelke has arrived - 01/29/12
Yes, I think that 31" draw is making the difference. My arrows are cut to about 29". Then I added 100 grain inserts with 160 grn STOS broadheads. They fly very nice for me.

I also enjoy practising more with my longbows. My son lives in your area of the world, so I get out to CO a couple of times a year- have elk hunted 3 times. Good success the first time, we went three for five (cows) but not so much the last two trips. Thinking about trying a new area next time. Good luck with your new bow.
Posted By: JCS271 Re: Toelke has arrived - 03/15/12
I have shot traditional for exactly 40 years now. Still have my first "real bow" a used $12 Black Bear. About 10yrs ago I purchased a Toelke whip and have never looked back. Flawless craftsmanship, totally quiet, fast and visually stunning. Now my son and most of our friends are shooting Dans bows. Congratulations on yours, you WILL love it!
© 24hourcampfire