Home
Posted By: deg967 Broadhead choices... - 05/11/12
Bought a used PSE Coyote 45lb just to have a bow to shoot again. Thought was to use it only for target shooting in the yard and pest control or take while scouting and setting up stands. However, after shooting it a couple of times I was kind of impressed with how fast the bow seems to shoot full length 2117 Eastons and a 125grain Judo. So now I'm thinking I make take it for a deer hunt. I haven't bow hunted in years due to selling my MQ1 cause my left shoulder isn't what it used to be.
So now to the question...what's your blade of choice for a lite-weight bow? There's so many out there now! I want something that is known to fly well of course but also resharpenable. Tough. 2 or 3 blade? etc....
Posted By: Winnie Re: Broadhead choices... - 05/11/12
Some people are going to hate this but....... [bleep] em. grin

Slick Trick
or
Razor Trick
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Broadhead choices... - 05/11/12
Plus 1 on the 'Tricks, good broadhead!
Posted By: deg967 Re: Broadhead choices... - 05/11/12
Slick Trick makes fixed blades?
That is their major thing.

http://www.slicktrick.net/broadheads

Razor Tricks all day everyday, out of all my bows.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Razor Tricks all day everyday, out of all my bows.

And you have some NICE whitetail's taken with them, maybe that is the secret to success. wink
Posted By: Aviator Re: Broadhead choices... - 05/11/12
Razor tricks or steelforce....!
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Broadhead choices... - 05/11/12
I'm thinking magnus stinger if you like simple screw ins.
Posted By: hntnnut Re: Broadhead choices... - 05/11/12
I would go with a fairly heavy arrow and VPAs.

http://rayzor-vpa.com/

slick tricks are like Chevy 350s ya use them just to make ya feel cool
Posted By: deg967 Re: Broadhead choices... - 05/11/12
I was referring to "sharpen yourself" type heads. But those new ViperTricks are looking like some serious penetration !
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Broadhead choices... - 05/17/12
hard to beat a fixed blade muzzy
Posted By: cnyarcher Re: Broadhead choices... - 05/18/12
Really like the look of those VPA custom shop 3 blade vented. I might have to try 3 of those.
Posted By: cnyarcher Re: Broadhead choices... - 05/18/12
Montec G5 3 blade 100gr. can resharpen when needed
Posted By: okbowman Re: Broadhead choices... - 05/18/12
Slick Tricks or Magnus Stingers.
Posted By: kendibs Re: Broadhead choices... - 05/29/12
100 gr slicks. wink

-ken

Posted By: Sherwood Re: Broadhead choices... - 06/06/12
ThunderHead broadheads are still the BEST!!!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Broadhead choices... - 06/06/12
45 lbs will easily shoot a 2018 (or 2117) completely thru the chest of a big whitetail buck. i use either zwickey or magnus (2 blade) for deer and elk out of recurves and longbows. imo, you will have fewer issues regarding penetration with a cut on contact broadhead. others may differ, but have no hesitation taking that 45lbs for deer once you get your shooting where it needs to be. good luck this season.
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Broadhead choices... - 06/06/12
I would use a fixed blade broadhead, I like the 100gr Wasp Hammerhead
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Broadhead choices... - 06/06/12
I really like the 100gr Shuttle T-Locks, they fly the same as my 100gr field points.
Posted By: centershot Re: Broadhead choices... - 06/07/12
With a 45# recurve you would likly be best served by a 2 blade broadhead. I use old Bear Razorheads with my light recurves.
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Broadhead choices... - 06/07/12
I shoot both a 57lb and a 63lb recurve with 2117s as my primary arrow, I have had great luck using the Woodsman 3 blade as well as the Zwickey and Magnus 4 blades. Last one I shot(150gr Woodsman) the arrow shot clean thru the chest and stuck in the ground below. I am going to try the eclipse single bevel heads this year, I dont expect much difference unless I hit shoulder blade.I would suggest a quality 2 blade head like the Eclipse single bevel or any of the ABS single bevels. I haven't nutted up to drop $90 for three ABS heads yet. I'll see how the Eclipse does this year it looks pretty solid and scary sharp!
Eclipse Werewolf
Posted By: SeanD Re: Broadhead choices... - 06/07/12
2 blade magnus.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Broadhead choices... - 06/07/12
Magnus Stingers have done great for me , 15 deer or so in the last 4 seasons and not a one has gone over 40 yds. They have a no BS warranty also.
Posted By: dogwater Re: Broadhead choices... - 06/15/12
I'm shooting a pse bow madness xl at about 55 lbs. I use 125 gr Magnus stingers. The slick tricks are nice and fly great too. I use the Magnus for some extra penetration for elk. You might consider some carbon arrows. They flex less and recover quicker. That combined with the smaller diameter means they should improve penetration.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Broadhead choices... - 06/26/12
I'm Trickin!!!!
Posted By: Wingnut53 Re: Broadhead choices... - 06/26/12
I have an older PSE that shoots well with 100 grain Muzzys. You may need to shoot several brands to find what woks best for you.
Posted By: Bryant Re: Broadhead choices... - 07/01/12
I loved the slick tricks out of my compound, cuts a hole that looks like the deer was shot with a 12 ga slug! I had good luck resharpending them with croc sticks and the blade held with hemostats. This year I am using simmons land sharks out of my recurve. 1 9/16 inch cutting diameter and from the pics that I have seen on the web great penetration and big holes with lots of blood to follow.
Those Simmons tree sharks leave the biggest holes I ever seen.
In my experience the heads mentioned here are all good and will do the job, as long as you do yours!

Meaning, you need to take the time to tune your bow properly, tune your arrows and practice to build your confidence.

I prefer a fixed head, have been shooting G5 Montec flawlessly out of my rig for 4 years. The only rig I have currently have setup is a Hoyt Katera at 76lbs.

I will be shooting the Solid Broadhead Solid Broadhead for testing prior to the peak of bow season.

I plan on tuning these heads as I do my Montecs to see how they compare before they are even put in the bow. They have an awesome design with top notch machining and materials.

If you are interested in a mechanical, give the Ulmer Edge a look as they have shot very well in testing for me. And the G5 Havoc and Epek have good reviews from fellow bowhunters.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Broadhead choices... - 07/02/12
NAP 85 gr Thunderheads are my choice and have never failed
Posted By: Willto Re: Broad-head choices... - 07/04/12
With a 45# recurve you would likly be best served by a 2 blade broad-head.

Exactly. Did most of the people responding here read that he was shooting a 45# recurve? I saw a lot of good recommendations for a compound bow from many of you but with a recurve, especially just 45# you better stick with a two blade cut on contact like a Magnus or a Zwickey.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Broad-head choices... - 07/04/12
Would a four blade Slick Trick be a bad choice for a recurve? They are sharper than anything I used in a 2 blade, I think they would fly straight at lower speeds?
I shoot a 45lb Long bow and use nothing but Razor Tricks which have 4 blades. Never had a problem.
Posted By: 257James Re: Broadhead choices... - 07/07/12
Originally Posted by centershot
With a 45# recurve you would likly be best served by a 2 blade broadhead. I use old Bear Razorheads with my light recurves.

Exactly.....my dad, in his seventies, uses a 2 bladed 160 grain Grizzly Broadhead and laminated birch arrows out of his various recurves 45-50lbs. He's always gotten gets consistant pass throughs using 2 bladed Grizzlies. Hard to stop a train......his 29.5" arrows weigh in the neighborhood of 780 grains.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Broadhead choices... - 07/07/12
100g Tricks
Posted By: buckthumper Re: Broadhead choices... - 07/07/12
Slick Trick all the way. the muzzy's leave a bigger hole but you can't match the accuracy and the consistency of the slick trick.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Broadhead choices... - 07/07/12
[Linked Image]

I am going to try and arrow a blacktail with them this year...
Posted By: HaYen Re: Broadhead choices... - 07/09/12
Two broadhead's I've been meaning to try are the Slick Tricks and German Kinetics. A ton of folks swear by the Slick Tricks.
Posted By: 257James Re: Broadhead choices... - 07/09/12
I love the Razor Cap....... grin
Posted By: rost495 Re: Broadhead choices... - 07/09/12
razor tricks continue to impress me.

Of course for light bows, use a carbon shaft of lighter weight like my wife used to, and drive through chit wiht a Zwickey Eskimo 2 blade 110.
That combo at about 52 pounds punched through super thick shields on a boar that bottomed out my 350 pound scale some years ago for her. Broadhead was sticking out the other side when it got snapped off.... of course it didn't do the boar any good that she shot him through the heart either.
She had shot muzzy off and on and there is no comparison to what a cut on contact head will do vs others.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Broadhead choices... - 07/11/12
The 85 gr Thunderheads have taken every deer i have shot in the last few years and all but one fell within sight of my tree stand.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fisherick Re: Broadhead choices... - 07/12/12
You are shooting a 45# recurve bow. It is best to use a cut on contact type broadhead such as a Magnus Stinger, Bear Razorhead, or a Wensel Woodsman.
I do most of my deer hunting with a 45# Bob Lee recurve, 35/55 Gold Tip arrows and a Wensel Woodsmen broadhead with excellant blood trails and results. Try to keep shots at 20 yards or less. Many deer have been killed with 35-45# bows and 2 blade COC broadheads.
There are a lot of good broadheads on the market. I would recommend that you stick with a fixed blade broadhead at the draw weight your are pulling.

Next I would try to shoot these broadheads out to your effective range and see which head(s) group consistently.

This consistency will build confidence, which is a key component in harvesting an animal.
© 24hourcampfire