Home
Posted By: gunner500 Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/07/12
Greetings Men,

I have increased my range to 18 yards to date, has anyone got string slapped on the side of the face while trying to hard to get behind the arrow?

Gunner
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/07/12
I've hit my nose before.If you haven't seen them you should check out the Masters Of The Bare Bow series,particularly the segments by Rod Jenkins.Rod comes to a lot of the events I attend.He is a very nice guy and helped me a lot over the years with my shooting.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/07/12
Thanks RH, I have a copy of "Shooting the Stick Bow" by Anthony Camera on the way, hope that will help some too.

This 66" Montana Whip is very quite, I love this bow, need to chrono it just for S's & G's.

Gunner
No but I'm probably doing some thing wrong judging from my track record
Posted By: bea175 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/07/12
Originally Posted by gunner500
Greetings Men,

I have increased my range to 18 yards to date, has anyone got string slapped on the side of the face while trying to hard to get behind the arrow?

Gunner

You need to twist your string to increase the brace height and this may help solve the problem
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
No but I'm probably doing some thing wrong judging from my track record

Me too DVD, I'm doing everything wrong at close ranges and squeench back a bit when I find what works right. wink

I think traditional bow hunting and killing will be one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had pursuing game animals.

Now, if I'm able to practice enough and get next to a Turkey for a traditional bow kill, that will be pure woods euphoria.

Gunner
Originally Posted by bea175
Greetings Men,

Gunner

You need to twist your string to increase the brace height and this may help solve the problem

Thanks Bea, But if this bow is 52 lbs at 28"s and I'm drawing it 30.5" will it damage the bow, or up the poundage to much by twisting the string?

Gunner
I don't really think increasing the brace will keep you from hitting your face.It would help if you were slapping your wrist.

You have plenty of draw length on a 66" bow. 30.5 won't be a problem.

You can call Dan or check his web site for suggested brace but I figure it is somewhere between 6.5-7.5 inches.You can vary it in that range to help tune it to your arrow or it might just like a certin brace better.The brace it likes will be where it has the least vibration after the shot.
Greetings Men,

Gunner

I've been shooting trad bows for about forty-five years and I don't think I've EVER had the string slap me in the face.

Just how are you holding that thing? grin

I KNOW you are doing something right since you've already drawn blood.

What are you using for your anchor point?

Ed
Brace must be right RH, I can detect NO vibration after the shot, this thing is like a whispering Cadillac LOL.

Ed, anchor point is most rearward thumb knuckle in right ear hole area against the cartilage in the back of the ear, string just grazed a bit of my right cheek bone area on release.

I was leanin' in to far trying to get a keen bead. blush, will resume shooting in the a.m.

Thanks Men

Gunner
Posted By: Winnie Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/07/12
My form might be bad but I use my middle finger to the corner of my mouth for my anchor point...
I started with that anchor point Winnie, but was advised by Dan out at Montana Bows to pick a spot a bit further back and higher on my head.

I was shooting high, even a close ranges.

Gunner
Gunner,
As long as your draw is, just pick an anchor that is the most comfortable and most consistant to you.

I wish I could anchor middle finger at the corner of my mouth as it would get the knock even closer to my eye.I anchor index finger at the corner of my mouth and my jaw perfectly fits in the cup formed by my thumb and index finger.It is what feels best to me and allows the best alignment.

When you get your form straight and aligned properly and your arrows and bow tuned you won't miss right or left unless you make a mistake in your release.
Many Thanks again RH, Think I have a good anchor spot picked out, very comfortable and repeatable for me, believe when I went to 18 yards I tried to lean into the arrow a bit to far, shot hit center left [9oclock] of where I was looking.

This is a very relaxing and enjoyable exercise in flight manipulation. wink

Gunner
Gunner
One thing that helped me the most was to get a target bow of only 30 LBS so that I could put my complete attention on form.A very light bow will also magnify any release problems you have and force you to learn what a good release feels like.

There are plenty of online resources to study form.Learn from the champion target guys though and not the self appointed experts who only shoot exibitions at less than 10 yards.

Just because you've had suscess hunting,doesn't mean you're a great archer or teacher any more than killing a deer with a rifle makes you a Camp Perry contender.

When I started out,I went to the largest shoots I could find.I watched who consistantly placed at the top and when opportunity arrived I asked for help from thoes guys who were willing to help.I'm not some wonderboy but I was lucky enough to get help from an IBO world champion and I went from middle of the road to being able to place in the top 10 at any shoot I've attended with several hundred in my class.

It is just like anything though.To be at the top takes a lot of time and practice.I have been out of competition for a little over a year because of a shoulder injury and at this point it would take at least a couple months to be competitive again.
Yes, I remain gord green and never underestimate any art form, time X's 1000000 is what it's gonna take for me.

The yearling doe was pure luck, a 9 yard shot while standing on my own hind legs, there is light years of experience I do NOT have.

If I continue to enjoy and learn from the sport, I will get there.

Thanks,
Gunner
shoot no more than ten yards from your target and practice more on your shooting form than accuracy and once you master the form that works best for you, then your accuracy will improve automatically.
Thanks Bea, was averaging 3.5" groups at 18 yards last evening before I got string slapped and went in.

The urge to back up for more range is very powerful.

Gunner
Yes, I remain gord green and never underestimate any art form, time X's 1000000 is what it's gonna take for me.

The yearling doe was pure luck, a 9 yard shot while standing on my own hind legs, there is light years of experience I do NOT have.

If I continue to enjoy and learn from the sport, I will get there.

Thanks,
Gunner

Gunner
Just to clarify,I wasn't refering to your hunting experience or archery ability.There are some in the industry,which I shall not name,that I think don't need to be teaching archers.All their students that I have shot with couldn't hit a target even half the time, though they always assured me they could shoot much better at a live animal.I personally think they are just lucky sometimes.

I said just because you've had hunting suscess but I should have said they have,as I was refering to some archery teachers.I'm not at all that arrogant my friend.Sorry for the poor wording.
No threat detected RH wink, I believe learning from you folks here at the fire, talking with Dan out at Montana Bows, and reading Camera's book along with hours of enjoyable practice is what it's gonna take.

I have always been a humane hunter, I like nothing more than putting a solid clean hit on game animals, that is the very least they deserve. grin

Gunner
Thanks Bea, was averaging 3.5" groups at 18 yards last evening before I got string slapped and went in.

The urge to back up for more range is very powerful.

Gunner

It is getting really Bad when you get Bitch Slapped by you own
Bow
No chit cry, now I'm gonna change out in some camos, grab the old Black Max II and hit the mountain, hope ta be dragging a deer or turkey offa the mountain by dark.

Gunner
Posted By: Winnie Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/07/12
I demand pictures of your dead critter, sir.

grin
No chit cry, now I'm gonna change out in some camos, grab the old Black Max II and hit the mountain, hope ta be dragging a deer or turkey offa the mountain by dark.

Gunner

I'm still waiting for the photos
Spend some time with 'the book' when it arrives - best thing available besides a 'good' coach. Do what he suggests and you'll be shooting better than you ever thought possible.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/08/12
Thanks centershot, preshade it. wink

Winnie, just sent a cell pic to BEA of a 5pt WT buck I just scored on, I enlisted the services of the old power wagon winch and have him hanging and cooling in the cool air from a pine tree limb.

I tickled the rattling antlers at around 515 pm, here he came, stepped out broadside on a hard facing quarter at 21 yards, busted him in his left shoulder and exited mid rib cage, he went 15 yards and piled up.

That old Black Max II with the 125 gr G-5 Striker Magnum heads is a double mean mo-fo.

I was feeling really bad about politics this morning, ate about 3lbs worth of BLT sammiches, walked up on the mountain and rattled in a little meat buck with my bow, a purty good ending to a crappy beginning. wink

Gunner
Originally Posted by bea175

Gunner

I'm still waiting for the photos

Photo sent BEA, check yer cell, and send it to Winnie fer cryin out loud. grin

Gunner
Posted By: Winnie Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/08/12
I have a cell!!! Why am I missing out on these fun pictures? cry

grin
PM sent Winnie.

Gunner
Are you sure it's the string slapping you. I've had a lot of tabs due it before they were trimmed, but never a string.
Yessir, my anchor point is the rear most knuckle on my right thumb firmly planted in the ear hole to the rear, I was leaning/canting my head to far to the right in an attempt to get behind the arrow more to try and sight at 18 yards.

Which is at extended range for me right now with a traditional bow. blush

Gunner
Posted By: pal Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/08/12
...a 5 pt WT buck I just scored on...I tickled the rattling antlers at around 515 pm, here he came, stepped out broadside on a hard facing quarter at 21 yards, busted him in his left shoulder and exited mid rib cage, he went 15 yards and piled up...

Very well done!
Thanks Pal. wink

Gunner
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/08/12
Gunner
I can't imagine using that anchor myself.It would seem to put the string out of alignment with my eye.

I did know one world champ who stuck his thumb in his ear.

Whatever works for you but make sure all aspects of your form are comfortable.You should attain proper alignment without having to stress any muscles to get aligned.It is having to use the muscle for alignment that will result in poor consistancy.

Make sure you are standing well balanced.If a gentle push will cause you to move your feet to recover balance,you aren't standing correctly.Make sure there is no tension in your grip hand or release hand.Again any force into alignment works against you.

Don't sweat shooting close untill you get it perfect.Only move back when you have to shoot seperate quarter sized dots to keep from busting knocks.
Thanks and, oh chit, quarter sized dots? I'm gonna be close fer a spell. blush

Gunner
Posted By: pal Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/08/12
Here's mine, 45# Howatt:

[Linked Image]
Nice smile

Gunner
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/08/12
Thanks and, oh chit, quarter sized dots? I'm gonna be close fer a spell. blush

Gunner

Well,you don't have to hit the dots every shot but you will get to where you will hit them a lot and only miss by a little.I like small dots because it will cause you to concentrate better.The point is that before being concerned about shooting farther,you should "need" to shoot seperate dots to keep from busting too many knocks.
Got it, and knock bustage isn't in my near future. grin, but someday it will be.

Gunner
Love those old Howatts - I have and learned on a Howatt Cavalier 26#@28" - I still use it once in a while while working out a form issue. I mostly shoot my Tradtech Titan III with 32# limbs for indoor/winter shooting and 45# limbs oudoors/hunting/3D - nice bow, very versitile with good weight and ballance.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/15/12
Yessir, my anchor point is the rear most knuckle on my right thumb firmly planted in the ear hole to the rear, I was leaning/canting my head to far to the right in an attempt to get behind the arrow more to try and sight at 18 yards.

Which is at extended range for me right now with a traditional bow. blush

Gunner

And therein lies a major problem that will cause issues in your shooting until the day it changes. The sinking anchor... It is the root of all evils when you shoot fingers. Any anchor that comes past full draw, and then settles into it, ruins the "push/pull" dynamics that need to be fundamental for a finger shooter. It transitions a lot to trad-bows from compound habits.

Try middle finger to the corner of the mouth, and then feel it until that elbow is in a line with the arrow. Then dump the string...

Yes, it will lose you an inch of draw length. BFD.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/15/12
Dan, I had to select a different anchor point as I was shooting to high lip hooking.

Gunner
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/16/12
shoot farther...

Or try 3 under with a ring finger in the corner of your mouth.

You can do whatever you want. I can't help but notice that 3 under shooters are usually 20 yard warriors, and guys with sinking anchors are usually good for a dozen arrows tops, and then have a meltdown
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/16/12
Thanks for the tip, I just finished page 37 in Camera's book "Shooting the Stick Bow", I have lots of reading and shooting ahead of me, that forking book is over 400 pages. shocked

Gunner
Thanks for the tip, I just finished page 37 in Camera's book "Shooting the Stick Bow", I have lots of reading and shooting ahead of me, that forking book is over 400 pages. shocked

Gunner

That book aint bad and has some valuable info in it, especially on tuning. BUT, please realize that Tony(Viper)Camera has never bowhunted in his entire life and never won a single tourney in archery.

He once said on a public forum Fred Bear "basically sucked" at shooting a bow, even though Fred won 3 consecutive Michigan state NFAA field championships and amassed the largest trophy bow kill collection in history up to that point.

I'd suggest Asbells books.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/16/12
shocked saying FB sux is pure heresy, maybe camera needs to be hung by his smart ass sack for awhile.

Gunner
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/16/12
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Gunner

That book aint bad and has some valuable info in it, especially on tuning. BUT, please realize that Tony(Viper)Camera has never bowhunted in his entire life and never won a single tourney in archery.

He once said on a public forum Fred Bear "basically sucked" at shooting a bow, even though Fred won 3 consecutive Michigan state NFAA field championships and amassed the largest trophy bow kill collection in history up to that point.

I'd suggest Asbells books.

I understand that Asbell kills stuff but every follower of his that I have ever shot with would miss the whole 3D deer more often than not.Maby they weren't squatting enough but I couldn't tell if they were going to shoot or take a [bleep].It could be that Asbell is really all that and his teaching just didn't translate well.

Maby my opinion is twisted as I have never met the man or seen him shoot.I don't have much respect though for his Black Widow teaching clinic where he only demonstrates how to shoot at a target a few feet away.He would gain my respect if he would show how it's done at 20 yards or more.
Asbell has a room full of big game trophies.

Fred Bear has a museum full of big game trophies.

Camera has a big mouth, a book and a huge ego, little else.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/17/12
I think they all have good information as well as things that work better for them.There are certin things that will benefit everyone and certin things that folks have to adapt and change to better fit their style,skill level,or even physical limitations.

My main criticism of Asbell is his squat and turn technique.Everyone I've personally seen try to use it,contorted their body into a completly uncomfortable and unstable position to shoot.It clearly had a negative effect on their accuracy.As I said it may have been more of a translation problem than a problem with form.
Originally Posted by DanAdair
shoot farther...

I can't help but notice that 3 under shooters are usually 20 yard warriors

TFF Dan! I'm a 3-under 20yd warrior.......well, 3-under 30yd warrior really. (grin)

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I think they all have good information as well as things that work better for them.There are certin things that will benefit everyone and certin things that folks have to adapt and change to better fit their style,skill level,or even physical limitations.

My main criticism of Asbell is his squat and turn technique.Everyone I've personally seen try to use it,contorted their body into a completly uncomfortable and unstable position to shoot.It clearly had a negative effect on their accuracy.As I said it may have been more of a translation problem than a problem with form.

Asbell never says you have to squat like him. I think 'squat' is a derogatory term meant to ridicule anyway. He simply advocates getting into an athletic position.

I'm not saying Asbell or Welch or Viper or Eichler or anyone else has all the answers. Nobody does.

What I am saying, is to look at the teachers history as part of your overall assessment of the info brought forth.

It's very clear to me that 'Viper' Camera has never shot anything but 20 yard NFAA rounds INDOORS, in Long Island NY. He shoots lightweight bows, and has stated that he holds at draw for 10 seconds, which is ridiculous for the hunting archer. He;s deliberately confused about POA, gap, and instinctive techniques, and is a rude blowhard with nothing to back up his claims a guru, except said ego.

I prefer to listen to people that are hunting archers, and have been there and done that.

YMMV
Posted By: ribka Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/17/12
I use modified ASbell method and has been effective for hunting. And Fred is a heck of a nice guy too.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/18/12
Originally Posted by BradArnett
shoot farther...

TFF Dan! I'm a 3-under 20yd warrior.......well, 3-under 30yd warrior really. (grin)

[Linked Image]

Damn nice buck there BA, I only have a 60 lb doe at 9 yards to my traditional bow hunting credit, but I'll get there. wink

Gunner
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/19/12
Originally Posted by BradArnett
shoot farther...

[Linked Image]

Brad, that picture is evidence that you know how to shoot a longbow. 3 under works very well for a lot of guys, my point was never to the contrary. But it does seem to be most prevalent with guys that shoot very accurately at shorter yardages, and there's nothing wrong with that in a bowhunting environment.

I shoot as many 3D shoots as I can every year, and I do okay at it. A good 3D course will make even the best of them take shots that they NEVER would hunting. Yardages can be longer. I only ever got my ass kicked by one buy that shot 3 under. Come on up to Montucky the first weekend of May for the Fawn Creek traditional shoot, we'll drink a couple gallons of been and discuss all this smile

[Linked Image]
The only two shoots I didn't get hardware was the TBM fun shoot in Lewistown and the Montana State shoot, where I placed 4th

I haven't punched a tag with a recurve, that had horns on it since 2006 frown
Dan, I know you can shoot, I've seen your posts on the other site. My downfall to shooting 3-under is my yardages. I am comfortable inside 25yds on critters and only to 30 on targets. I pretty much never shoot farther than that. My buddies who shoot split all tend to practice at further distances than i do. I also believe that shooting far tightens up their form and improves their "short" game as well. My post was in jest, but in my limited circle what you said is true.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/21/12
Took my Montana Longbow to the Butcher this evening to pick-up a pair of deer, he's a Bowsmith too, my draw length with tab and index finger anchored in the corner of my mouth is exactly 31"s, draw weight at 31"s measures at 62 lbs.

Do any of you men think this is too much for a 66" bow, I want to shoot it a lot and dont want to damage it?

Thanks,
Gunner
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/21/12
Brad, I haven't shot a big game animal past 30 with a recurve ever in my life. The only time I'd take a shot on game farther is if the first arrow didn't go as planned and that was my only option. There's nothing wrong with a 3 under hold... I do agree about shooting at longer yardages, if you practice a lot at 50 (and I'll admit that I don't do it much anymore) shots at 25 are much easier.

Gunner, You aren't going to hurt that bow any. Fear not, if you keep up with the trad bow thing, some day you'll drop at least 1K on something fancy and custom. My Silvertip that's in the works will be an easy 1500 before I'm done.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/25/12
Thanks Dan, have since spoken to Dan out at Montana Bows and he mirrored your comments.

Gunner
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 11/26/12
Dan Toelke is the for real deal. If I ever went Longbow, it'd be one of his. I've shot piles of his bows, they're slick.

I'm just a recurve kind of guy, that's all there is to it.

This is Pat's story.

I used the all yew Vixen longbow and a Grizzly broadhead to tag this young fellow..

[Linked Image]

My Bud has several long bows. In the thread below shows him with a piggie last week I think.
Posted By: Scott Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 12/24/12
A little late to the fire on this one but my form is similar to Barry Wensel - split finger, middle finger on tooth behind eye tooth, slight natural cant, and FOCUS on single point. When it feels right, it goes. If I start seeing the arrow, I screw up. Shooting golf balls or tennis balls in the yard is awesome practice as it stumpin'.
Byron Ferguson's "Become the arrow" is a good read. Masters of the barebow are good DVD's to see other's form. Paul Brunner had a video out with some form info also but I cannot recall the title.
This years buck:
[Linked Image]
My 'tips:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 12/29/12
Yep. Nose slap too. I make sure I shave regularly as we'll to avoid chaff from pulling out whiskers.
Ghostinthemachine, I feel the need to call BS on your posts berating Anthony Camera. There seems to be a 'new' bunch of experts that think you have to shoot in the IBO to be able to shoot a trad bow. If you have read his book you would realise that most of his shooting was done in the 70's and 80's. He now just shoots and coaches mainly indoors by choice. In the book he plainly states that he hunted, just like most of us. I get so tired of the jealosy shown on Leatherwall and a couple of other trad sites I want to puke. Just because the guy took the time to organize and explain trad archery and put it in a book and they did not. These jokers say that Tony came up with these ideas and methods of how to shoot, in reality (if they would read the book before bashing it) they would soon learn that he is using methods as old as anyone can remember. He's not taking credit for the methods taught, just orgaized them so they are in one place and easy to understand. Until any of these 'experts' produce a book - "Shooting the Stickbow" is the gold standard. FWIW I have read Asbells books as well as Ferguson's and many others, none are anywere near as informative and complete when it comes to shooting and tuning traditional gear.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 01/03/13
Originally Posted by brinky72
Yep. Nose slap too. I make sure I shave regularly as we'll to avoid chaff from pulling out whiskers.

laugh, Thanks Brink, i'll remember that one too.

Gunner
Originally Posted by centershot
Ghostinthemachine, I feel the need to call BS on your posts berating Anthony Camera. There seems to be a 'new' bunch of experts that think you have to shoot in the IBO to be able to shoot a trad bow. If you have read his book you would realise that most of his shooting was done in the 70's and 80's. He now just shoots and coaches mainly indoors by choice. In the book he plainly states that he hunted, just like most of us. I get so tired of the jealosy shown on Leatherwall and a couple of other trad sites I want to puke. Just because the guy took the time to organize and explain trad archery and put it in a book and they did not. These jokers say that Tony came up with these ideas and methods of how to shoot, in reality (if they would read the book before bashing it) they would soon learn that he is using methods as old as anyone can remember. He's not taking credit for the methods taught, just orgaized them so they are in one place and easy to understand. Until any of these 'experts' produce a book - "Shooting the Stickbow" is the gold standard. FWIW I have read Asbells books as well as Ferguson's and many others, none are anywere near as informative and complete when it comes to shooting and tuning traditional gear.

That's fine.

My posts stand and I won't even go back to look at what I wrote.. He hasn't hunted since the early 70s and only went out a couple of times back then. He 'coaches' people supposedly, and it's STRICTLY 20 yard NFAA rounds with extremely lightweight bows. He's never won a single thing in archery, that's simply a fact. I do like his info on tuning, mainly because I use AL arrows, just like he does.

If you like the book, that's fine. But people need to know some of the background of ANY self-proclaimed internet guru. That was my basic point.

Sorry if I ruffled some feathers. Tact aint one of my strongsuits.
Here's a video that was on Bowsite a week ago. This shows why I think it's important to take advice from hunting archers. Viper would scoff at this technique, even mock and ridicule it. The result? A perfect shot on a giant buck.

In just your last post you have contradicted your own comments. First you say he never hunted, now you say he only hunted a couple of times, book said he hunted quite a bit in his youth - I think you need to re-read the book.........do keep in mind it is a book on how to shoot a traditional bow using classic form. He very plainly states that varying from the basic form is fine, but it is wise to first learn to shoot in the most simple and repeatable manor. Do you disagree with that? How about I email this to viper and let him comment instead of you trying to put words in his mouth? There are absolutley some haters on Leatherwall and Tradgang - many of which I have ask if they have even read the book they so detest, most have not. I have even offered to puchase the book from them if they would read it and give it an objective look and still did not like it - no takers. Over and over they state that he has not won 3D's or this or that - Who cares? They are probably lucky he does not - with consistant form he would undoubtable whip most of them. He has modestly stated that he has shot AA Scores on the NFAA 300 round. Do you know what that amounts to? 23.3 points per 5 arrow end or a 3 1/2" group for 60 arrows at 20 yards - no hack can do that. If you want a book on Bowhunting, that is not the one. If you want a book on how to shoot and tune trad bows - that is by far the best I have seen.

BTW, that is a great video and a very nice buck. A 10-15 yard shot is really not a big deal though and that is where the 'Bowhunter Only' mentality gets crossed up with the book. Back up to 40 or 50 yards shooting with a humpped over, inconsistant cant and inconsistant draw length and you'll need all the black magic you can muster.

So why this hate for a guy you don't even know?
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 01/03/13
Like everything, "If it works for you, use it." I don't mock or ridicule anyones' technique if it works or even if it doesn't. Anyone that states that they or their method is the one and only way to do things is a moron and is setting themselves up for failure. I'm no expert on shooting bow trad or otherwise. I've been hunting a while now with a recurve and use what has proven effective for me. Might be odd to others but guess what. I'm the one shooting my deer/bear not anyone else. Experts to me are self important, close minded azzholes. just my two cents.
In just your last post you have contradicted your own comments. First you say he never hunted, now you say he only hunted a couple of times - I think you need to re-read the book.........do keep in mind it is a book on how to shoot a traditional bow using classic form. He very plainly states that varying from the basic form is fine, but it is wise to first learn to shoot in the most simple and repeatable manor. Do you disagree with that? How about I email this to viper and let him comment instead of you trying to put words in his mouth? You have been hanging around on Leatherwall and Tradgang too much.

Viper 'said' he hunted a couple of times in the '70s. I personally don't believe it.
What make you believe that? And.........hunting is not for everyone. Should that mean that you can not shoot a bow and arrow and enjoy it?
I'm not sure what would be wrong with his technique? I have a rough time shooting from a treestand with either a recurve or longbow. I'm always super conscious of where the lower limb is and have a tendency to shoot over because of it. I end up pulling slightly down on the arrow as I draw it back making it tilt up a wee bit on the shelf causing it to shoot high. Poor form on my part but I always do it trying not to bang up my bow from the lower limb hitting my stand or other stuff. Long story but I hunt on the ground now with more hits than misses vs hunting from a treestand.
What make you believe that? And.........hunting is not for everyone. Should that mean that you can not shoot a bow and arrow and enjoy it?

My dislike of Viper has nothing to do with whether or not he hunts, his book, or his technique. Hell, I like target archery too.

My dislike arises because he is a condescending prima donna that is rude to every poster that has the cajones to disagree with him. I say that after more than a decade's worth of exchanges with the man, and reading his generally pompous and ego driven words.

"Fred Bear basically sucked at shooting a bow", Viper proclaimed. Need I say more?
He ought to tell that to all the dead head of game that Fred Bear shot. I bet they would disagree.
Fred Bear pretty much said that of himself in Field Notes. No secret he had target panic and that is why he snap shot. He made reference of his hunting buddy consistantly out shooting him.

Viper is opinionated for sure, based on many people making the same mistakes - over and over. Why not try to short cut the process? Maybe we all need to look in the mirror on the being opinionated.

The problem as I see it is that too many go into any discussion with Viper with a crappy attitude to begin with. An attitude generated long ago by the same jealous people. That stink has rubbed off on a bunch of new guys and now they won't even take the time to help themselves. I have yet to hear anyone that actually read the book state that it is useless and a waste of time.

To have a personality conflict with someone you have never met and have only posted with on the internet is quite sad indeed. It is always hard to get the point across on these forums, I'm quite sure in person these folks would all act differently.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 01/04/13
Is Viper even on here anymore? The only viper I found last posted in '07. I'm not looking for a pissing match with anyone and would be the first to ask for advice. In fact that's why I'm asking who and if he's still on here. I could use some advice. My method of bowhunting and shooting was pretty much pick the damn thing up and shoot it. My opinion is only that It's hard to argue with success. You can say Brett Favre was a chitty QB but can't argue the fact of 508 TD's and 71,838 yds. What works for someone is just that. It works.
What book did he write and what's it called? Does he have a website, page, whatever I can go to and read. I see a lot of crap on you tube but take it with a grain of salt. In fact I can't stand you tube except for finding old music. Many a member on here has pissed me off by using you tube as some sort of fact library. That's an entirely different story. So, where can I find Viper or anyone else for bow shooting/ hunting advice. PM if you wish.
He's on Archertalk in the Trad and FITA forums quite a bit - he also make the rounds on a few others, but that is the main one. His book is called "Shooting the Stickbow" it sells for $20 on Amazon and in any of the retailers like 3 Rivers or Lancasters. He does have a website with the same name. He's a good guy and will give you a straight answer to your shooting questions. He has plenty of haters, but from what I have seen most are just jealous and trying to cut him down to push thier own agendas.....pretty childish really. FWIW I'm not affiliated with him in any way, When I started out I had questions, he gratefully answered them - then I found out about the book, read that and can say that was easily the best thing I have done for my trad shooting. He states right off that a coach is the thing to do, but in my case there was nobody within a 4 hour drive to help, so the book has been awesome. I have read is several times over the past few years and each time there is something new or that I have 'grown' into to help my shooting. Well worth $20 and a few hours, wheather you like him or not personally it is an excellent resource.
Posted By: estacado Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 01/04/13
You can find Tony Camera's book in various locations. This is the link to his web page http://www.shootingthestickbow.com I have purchased 3 of his books, "Shooting the Stickbow." Great book with more information packed into one book than the other 60 Archery books and 100's of magazines on the subject of shooting the Stick I have on my bookshelf. I was contemplating writing a book on the subject relative to things not published or that were downright wrong. His take is a broad spectrum on the subject and mirrors what I have learned over a lifetime of shooting. I have found great disagreement with advocates of Asbell, Hill, Schultz, Furgeson, and others that actually come to blows. Basic archery form has been passed down thru some 600 years with many notables along the way. Heavy bows and the adaptation of contending with 70# monsters has gotten us away from the basic form of shooting a bow. I have conversed with Tony and find him knowledgable and a gentleman. Buy his book, please, and you will have at your fingertips the basis for getting what you can from your bow. He covers different techniques and picks apart what is inefficient in the various techniques. I had target panic for 10 years and had to go back and correct some 15 form flaws that had developed from shooting heavy bows and adapting my form to accommodate to the physical end of the equation. Archery is 90% mental once you have the physical end conquered. Before that, you are merely fighting the instrument of your affection. No amount of concentration will help you overcome the crazy battle of getting that arrow off the shelf if you don't have control of the bow. I m still fighting my demons, as my subconscious tries to take over on occasion. TP is a pain to contend with. Good form and a consistent aiming technique is, yes we all aim, vital to your success and enjoyment of flinging arrows. As to his comments on Fred and others, he has an opinion like you. Give him that without your judgement. I am a "Gapstincter", well most of the time.

Estacado
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 01/05/13
You can't tell some people that they aim.I've argued with the true instinctive shooters before.I guess that's why I get my feathers ruffled when I hear certin pharases.

Concerning concentration,an older joker friend of mine once walked up to Byron Furgeson and told him he had bought his book,"Become The Arrow." He said,"You know I layed in the leaves behind my target half a day,and it didn't do me a bit of good."
Posted By: ribka Re: Traditional Bow Shooting - 01/05/13
Try a clicker for target panic.

I shot bows for 20years and developed a bad habit of string plucking and short draw.

have read all of the trad shooting books and have shot with nationally ranked guys. Find what works for you

Originally Posted by estacado
You can find Tony Camera's book in various locations. This is the link to his web page http://www.shootingthestickbow.com I have purchased 3 of his books, "Shooting the Stickbow." Great book with more information packed into one book than the other 60 Archery books and 100's of magazines on the subject of shooting the Stick I have on my bookshelf. I was contemplating writing a book on the subject relative to things not published or that were downright wrong. His take is a broad spectrum on the subject and mirrors what I have learned over a lifetime of shooting. I have found great disagreement with advocates of Asbell, Hill, Schultz, Furgeson, and others that actually come to blows. Basic archery form has been passed down thru some 600 years with many notables along the way. Heavy bows and the adaptation of contending with 70# monsters has gotten us away from the basic form of shooting a bow. I have conversed with Tony and find him knowledgable and a gentleman. Buy his book, please, and you will have at your fingertips the basis for getting what you can from your bow. He covers different techniques and picks apart what is inefficient in the various techniques. I had target panic for 10 years and had to go back and correct some 15 form flaws that had developed from shooting heavy bows and adapting my form to accommodate to the physical end of the equation. Archery is 90% mental once you have the physical end conquered. Before that, you are merely fighting the instrument of your affection. No amount of concentration will help you overcome the crazy battle of getting that arrow off the shelf if you don't have control of the bow. I m still fighting my demons, as my subconscious tries to take over on occasion. TP is a pain to contend with. Good form and a consistent aiming technique is, yes we all aim, vital to your success and enjoyment of flinging arrows. As to his comments on Fred and others, he has an opinion like you. Give him that without your judgement. I am a "Gapstincter", well most of the time.

Estacado
© 24hourcampfire