Home
looking into my first rangefinder and ive read good things about the redfields. i notice they have a 550 series and 600 and 600A series ....the 600a has the angle compensation. i cant find any reviews on the 600a but theres lota on the 550. would the 600a with angle compensation be a better buy or just go with the 550?
I've got a 550 and love it. Honestly I think the angle compensation is over rated. I've ranged to the base of a tree and then to eye level on the same tree while in my stand and the difference is usually a yard at best. Not enough to cause a miss. JMHO.
How high you hunting? 6'? How far away was the other tree? 10 yds? J/K. For the guys that hunt high and have skill/equipment to shoot 40+ yards from said tree or for those steep up or downhill shots, youll wish you had it after your arrow sails over his back. Otherwise, just get a reg ol RF. i purchased the Bushnell scout 1000 with arc. But at less than $200 and with full factory 2yr warranty I couldnt pass it up. Go chk fleabay. Better to have it and never need it than need it and miss the trophy of a lifetime because u didnt have it
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
How high you hunting? 6'? How far away was the other tree? 10 yds? J/K. For the guys that hunt high and have skill/equipment to shoot 40+ yards from said tree or for those steep up or downhill shots, youll wish you had it after your arrow sails over his back. Otherwise, just get a reg ol RF. i purchased the Bushnell scout 1000 with arc. But at less than $200 and with full factory 2yr warranty I couldnt pass it up. Go chk fleabay. Better to have it and never need it than need it and miss the trophy of a lifetime because u didnt have it

ur saying get the 600a over the 550?
I have used the Bushnell and the Leupolds with the ARC/TBR for about 3-4 years.

What Huntingnut/280Ack say is correct. Unless you are shooting some really weird angles, or a very slow bow, the compensation for angled ranges out to 40 yards don't change by more than a yard or two. For most bowhunters shooting a modern bow, the addition of the angle compensation in the rangefinder is not really needed, and just added expense.

I generally hunt 25-30 feet up, based on the ground cover and small trees in my area, and range out to 30-40 yards. I'm shooting about 260ish FPS with a ~400 grain arrow; the most I've had a range change based on angle is one yard. I've shot stump arrows out to 50-60 yards before coming down, again, the ranges haven't changed beyond one-two yards.

The ARC/TBR is a good buy if you think the rangefinder will be doing double duty as a rifle season tool. I carry mine in both seasons, and the terrain I hunt elk in is vastly different than what I hunt deer in.
Learn to judge distance. Less to carry, faster, and at archery range not hard to learn.

If you miss a deer that you ranged either with ARC or not your pin wasn't right period! Like already said, at best in archery range you will get a 2 yard differnce. Thats still a dead deer if you did your part.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Learn to judge distance. Less to carry, faster, and at archery range not hard to learn.

If you miss a deer that you ranged either with ARC or not your pin wasn't right period! Like already said, at best in archery range you will get a 2 yard differnce. Thats still a dead deer if you did your part.

And best of all, doesn't require batteries...
That too! Good catch.
© 24hourcampfire