Home
Posted By: Ackleyfan Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
What do you guys like to hunt with.....Tell me about your favorite brands!
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
Carbon Express Maxima Hunters in a 350 spine, they have worked the best for my Mathews set-ups.

I'm experimenting with the Easton Injection series this year on a Hoyt bow. So far, they are working well.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
Easton A/C/C's and FMJ's.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
I run CX Maxima Hunter 350s but you owe it to yourself to check out Deer Crossing Archery and Black Eagle. They are newer companies but are the real deal
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
I'm using Carbontech whitetails right now but Iv'e been thinking about trying somthing different!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
Whatever they have in "my size" at the archery shop. The only one's I didn't like were the ACC's, that had the aluminum lining...they bent.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
Just ordered Gold Tip Pro Hunter's. Top of the line arrows.. why not grin
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
I've shot and hunted with the CX Piledriver and Mayhem, I now use the Piledriver primarily along with 2117 Aluminum. I have also shot the Easton Axis FMJ and Alaska Bowhunting Supply Grizzlystik shafts. Been meaning to try the newer Momentum UFOC as they have a better straightness tolerance than the older Grizzlystiks.

Out of my bow the Axis FMJ 400's would be my pick for speed, the Mayhems are not too far behind. I try for 10 grains finished arrow weight per lb of draw weight so that is why I use the Piledrivers, also for a period of time they were cheaper than the Maxima and Mayhems.
Posted By: Hoyt Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
I like small dia. heavy arrows and Beman MFX Classics are my favorite. They quit making them this year, but I've got enough to last a while.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
I just ordered a dozen Piledriver's for my longbow.
Posted By: WPAHunter50 Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
I use the Cabelas Stalker Extreme . They are the Beman ICS hunters rebadged. For 55 dollars a dozen for raw shafts you can't go wrong. With 50 gr. Muzzy brass inserts and Magnus Stingers they zip right thru Whitetails from my 50 lb. compound.
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
Originally Posted by Hoyt
I like small dia. heavy arrows and Beman MFX Classics are my favorite. They quit making them this year, but I've got enough to last a while.

I don't know what those classics weigh, but they came out with Centershots this year to replace them. I'm a big fan of the Axis/MFXs too.
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
I hit harder and go deeper with my recurve bow with aluminum or cedar arrows. Carbon for recurve doesn't penetrate well, even with the same weight arrowhead. Now with my compound, it penetrated deeper with the carbon arrows. So it depends on what type bow you are shooting. I prefer the lighter weight recurve to the bulkier compound. I learned how to shoot with a recurve before compounds came out.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
Goldtip 300 spine Kinetic Hunters. They are a small diameter , heavy per an inch shaft that works well out of my 65# compound. They are also very tuff and have an excellent designed insert.
Posted By: centershot Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
I like the Beman ICS Bowhunters. They are straight, consistent in spine, tough as nails and the best part - fairly cheap. I use them full length from my Recurves and when I break one with it, I cut it off and use it in my compound.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/21/13
Gold Tip Velocity XT
Posted By: MOGC Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/23/13
I just ordered some Gold Tip XT Pro Hunters and expect them in this week. My son has been shooting the Easton FMJ's but he just got in a dozen Black Eagle Carnivores and they are shooting really well for him and were easy to tune.
Posted By: Hoyt Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/23/13
Originally Posted by quackaddict
Originally Posted by Hoyt

I don't know what those classics weigh, but they came out with Centershots this year to replace them. I'm a big fan of the Axis/MFXs too.

I shoot the MFX 400's, they are 10.4 gpi (grs. per in.) You're right about the Centershots 9.6 gpi being a replacement as are the Easton Axis Traditionals 9.8 gpi., but the Full Metal Jackets are the closest weight wise that I know of small dia. at 10.2 gpi. I just decided at my age and health a couple doz. of MFX's used just for deer should last me.

Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/25/13
Thanks guys no shortage of choices, right now I'm leaning towards so carbon Express Hunters or Blue Streaks!
Posted By: Bigdogfla Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/25/13
I shoot the Beman ICS Hunter 340s... Reasonable, tough, shoot straight and kill stuff... Good luck!!!
Posted By: CRS Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/25/13
Easton came out with an traditional axis arrow this year. The traditional graphics makes them heavier than the standard Axis.

I have used fiberglass, aluminum, cedar, fir, maple, ash, chundoo, bamboo, Beman MFX, Easton Axis, FMJ's, Carbon tech, Gold tip, and Victory.

I prefer the skinny carbons, but they are all good if properly tuned to the bow and have enough mass.

Almost all of my experience is with traditional bows, so keep that in mind.
Posted By: cottonstalk Re: Carbon Arrows? - 06/25/13
XX78 aluminums primarily for hunting,CX Bluestreaks,CX predator series,Radial X weave,Easton excel st,pile drivers,victory vaps,mfx traditionals all seem to be pretty good. The Radial X weaves and the Blue Streaks were the most accurate but all were good.
Posted By: slideaction Re: Carbon Arrows? - 07/07/13
I shoot a Matthews Heli m set at 60 pounds. I was using Easton 400 powerflights and getting 260 feet per second. I switched to Cheetah's 35/60's and that moved my speed up to 287 feet per second. I can really see the difference with a much flatter shooting arrow without having to move the poundage up on the bow.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Carbon Arrows? - 07/07/13
I looked at "Da'Torch" at the local shop yesterday. I would try them if I could afford them, but at $180/dozen there's now way...I loose to many under the grass. I use Gold Tip Hunters in my compound.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Carbon Arrows? - 07/07/13
I ended up buying a doz CE carbon Bluestreak selects, just need to fletch them up!
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Carbon Arrows? - 07/07/13
Easton ACC's for the wheels, CE Heritage for the curve.
Posted By: bucktales Re: Carbon Arrows? - 07/07/13
Beman ICS Hunter 400.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Carbon Arrows? - 07/07/13
Again...check out deer crossing archery arrows. These folks are for real. Quality products, very good prices, tons of options
Posted By: ribka Re: Carbon Arrows? - 07/07/13
will check out the deer crossing

Shoot Gold Tips, ACC, ICS, Pile drivers and teh Cabelas brand now. Pick up when on sale

All shoot well. The quality of carbon arrows has really improved last 15 years

Posted By: RogueHunter Re: Carbon Arrows? - 07/07/13
CX Terminator Hunter Selects. I don't know if they make them anymore, but I bought a crapload years ago from Hunter's Friend, and they are still going strong.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Carbon Arrows? - 07/08/13
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Again...check out deer crossing archery arrows. These folks are for real. Quality products, very good prices, tons of options

What are their straightness tolerances, they don't seem to list that spec!
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Carbon Arrows? - 07/08/13
Easton Axis 340's here.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Carbon Arrows? - 07/09/13
Ackleyfan, their arrows are generally offered in 3 straightness/price catagories. .006,.003, .001 and price goes up as tolerences tighten. The .001 are priced with other premium arrows. But the .006 which is a pretty decent shaft for most hunters runs about half that. Maybe even less than half
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Carbon Arrows? - 07/11/13
Thanks Ackley
© 24hourcampfire