Home
Posted By: SilentT Broadheads for this year - 09/11/13
I'm going to be shooting the new Dirt Nap Gear D.R.T. head. It is a nice/nasty looking broadhead. Anyone trying something different this year?

www.dirtnapgear.com
gonna look into the Trauma by dead ringer
i take that back. just looked at the price
Going to test drive the grave digger this year. Nasty looking head. www.nolimitarchery.com
Posted By: SilentT Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/12/13
Yeah, $45 is getting expensive.
Magnus Stingers on the recurve. First year for those. Spitfires on the compound, but thats all I've used for years with it.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/12/13
Slicktrik Vipertrick
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/12/13
Good luck with your experimentation, I'll stick to my old tried and true 125 gr. G5 Striker Magnums.

Gunner
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/12/13
Stos and Slick Trick.
Sticking with Muzzy 90gr 4 Blades - worked great for years, don't know why they won't work again. I paid $25 for a 6 pack last time I bought them.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/13/13
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Stos and Slick Trick.

I use the STOS 145 gr. with my longbow, sure as hell cut a path through that doe last year, never could find that dang arrow.wink

Gunner
Going to run some 125 gr. G5 Strikers I found rummaging around in my piles of chit.
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/13/13
Hoping to run one of these (150gr Single Bevel)thru a big buck this year. http://www.werewolfbroadheads.com/
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Going to run some 125 gr. G5 Strikers I found rummaging around in my piles of chit.

Never had anything go more than 30/35 yards after a hit from the G5 magnums, some buck up then walk 10 yards and fall over.

Gunner
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/13/13
Originally Posted by gunner500
Stos and Slick Trick.

I use the STOS 145 gr. with my longbow, sure as hell cut a path through that doe last year, never could find that dang arrow.wink

Gunner

I've been using them for years and haven't found any better.
Stos and Slick Trick.

Gunner

I've been using them for years and haven't found any better.

10-4 Thanks Lt. very good to know. wink

Gunner
Posted By: Tanner Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/13/13
125gr Shuttle T-Locks for me. Those thangs are wicked.....
Posted By: bea175 Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/13/13
85 gr Thunderheads , the ones i always use in my Compounds
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/13/13
I'm using those boring old 125gr slick tricks.

Trying to zip this same one through my second bear this year. Since they have always exited and they are easier to find with the luminock I keep shooting stuff with the same one.

I've had to touch up blades a tiny bit. As long as I keep finding them, I'll keep shooting them.
Posted By: TAGLARRY Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/13/13
Wasp 100 grain 4 blades.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/13/13
Toxic here, these look wicked...

http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/toxic...=CPTK8b3Dx7kCFahDMgodtFkAoA#.UjKTTT-Jr6M
Posted By: Steve692 Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/13/13
The Toxic head is just out of the box of "normal" technology that I have to give them a try-out.

Lots of good heads out there and about as many reasons for picking one.

For each of us it is accuracy first always but penetration/blood trail/head strength etc all can have different priorities to each of us.

While a good blood trail has MORE (IMHO) to do with arrow placement than what head is used, the Toxic appears that it should/may/might/will create a type of wound channel that would be all but impossible to "plug" completely compared to a slice.

NOT saying that a slice cut wont WORK, they obviously do. A simple two blade Zwickey, well sharpened, will drop anything more than adequately and penetration is unbeatable yet perhaps it's just the "I want to see for myself" attitude I have that just wont let me NOT give these a trial run.

I'd face anything on this rock with several heads I have shot but I just want to try these out.

There is ALWAYS room for "just one more head" on my list of such.
The old man in me creates a bit of "oh man.....I don't know" thinking about these heads but, I wont Knock em.....till I nock em.

Hunt safe gang!
Originally Posted by Tanner

Is that a mechanical head?

Gunner
Originally Posted by bea175
85 gr Thunderheads , the ones i always use in my Compounds

Put one of those through a cow elk with my old Proline Point Blank bow back in the mid 90's. wink

Gunner
Posted By: Tanner Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/13/13
Originally Posted by Tanner

Is that a mechanical head?

Gunner

No sir... Standard fixed 3-blade. They are sweet though, my Old Man has killed probably 5-6 elk with them and they've done great.

http://trophytaker.com/broadhead.asp?ID=4
magnus buzzcut 100 4 blade is what I hope to run through a deer tomorrow morning.
10-4, Thanks Tanner. wink

Gunner
Posted By: bowfisher Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/14/13
Slick Tricks, 85gr. Light carbon arrow, works like a charm.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/15/13
Never tried the ST's, may give the Grizz Tricks a go someday.

Gunner
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/16/13
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Looks nasty. Kind of reminds me of the old Browning Serpentine heads from the early '90's. Hopefully those work better, the Brownings didn't do to well from what I recall. This is what they look like.

[Linked Image]
I'm going to have trusty ole ST 125s in the quiver, but picked up some Scwhacker 125s this week to give a run for the heck of it.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/18/13
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
picked up some Scwhacker 125s this week to give a run for the heck of it.

One of my hunting partners has killed several hogs with those this year and their performance was very impressive.
100gr NAP Thunderheads.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Grave Digger will be tested this year. Best of both worlds. COC and the massive wound channel of a mech head
As for the "Toxic", Id have to test it on something I really didnt care about like a yote or a pig before Id try it on big game
Couple of guys I know used the toxic this year. They said it worked well but all the blood trails were weak. Marginal shots could be a problem ...in their opinions. Others I know have been using Dead Ringer Hunting Rampage with excellent results. I used their Trauma in am xbow with awesome results on deer , turkey & black bear.
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
picked up some Scwhacker 125s this week to give a run for the heck of it.

One of my hunting partners has killed several hogs with those this year and their performance was very impressive.

Thanks for the info. They seem to get good reviews. My first go with a really large CD expandable, hopefully they'll work fine on whitetails.
Posted By: sako4me Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/22/13
I'm going with the 100gr swackers. They have some video footage of their performance on swackers website.

http://www.swhacker.com/
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/23/13
I have a pack of SS Simmons heads from 10 years or so ago.

They look hell for stout. I'll have to post a pic, as I haven't ever seen them before.

See if I can swat a swamp buck here by the house grin

Posted By: burt2506 Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/23/13
100 gr ST out of a Excaliber equinox sure put the smack down on my sons first buck

Of course this is a sample of one.........

Burt2506
Posted By: Hoyt Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/23/13
I'll be using these 190grs Simmons again.
[Linked Image]
I was planning on using A Rage broadhead this year, but my arrows from my new bow flew perfectly with my 15 year old Thunderheads. I took a big doe this past weekend, so if I get another shot I may try a Rage.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/26/13
Originally Posted by CBMJR
100gr NAP Thunderheads.

Me too.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Broadheads for this year - 09/29/13
This is one of the broadheads I've been carrying this year. I haven't had a shot yet, but it will come in time. I made it from some novaculite. Surprising how sharp the thing is.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mathsr
This is one of the broadheads I've been carrying this year. I haven't had a shot yet, but it will come in time. I made it from some novaculite. Surprising how sharp the thing is.

[Linked Image]

You win. Give him the belt.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/01/13
Going to have to wait to see if that broadhead is a winner or not! Hope, with a little luck, it won't be long. smile
Posted By: ACLakey Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/01/13
I decided to try the 125gr Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts this year but was less than pleased with the results. I shot a bear at 15 yards and the blood quickly stopped, spent an entire day looking for him in some thick stuff and never recovered. The next day I shot a buck on a hard quartering shot, good blood on the arrow and not a drop on the ground, spent the remainder of the day and the next morning looking for him. Screwed on the tried and true Irnohead 125 and they worked great as always. I am thinking about trying the 125gr Striker or 125gr Slick Trick Mags next year but will always have the Ironheads close by. I love the solid steel, one piece construction heads.
Sent a Muzzy 90gr 4 Blade through this guy at about 290fps a couple weeks ago. He walked about 10 steps and fell over dead.
[Linked Image]
Im sticking with 3 blade rage in my compound. Muzzy phantoms with my widow. Im only hunting the week after christmas with my compound. Almost weaned myself off all together.

On a side note ive shot a mess of heads over the years. Some were good others not so much. I loved the montecs but I just couldnt get them sharp enough, tried it all. I love the strikers, one of the best ive ever used. I tried the rage to shut up a buddy of mine and as much as I hated to admit it they shoot and perform awesome. I think ive killed around 30 animals to date. The biggest was live weight of 275 lbs. No elk though. Good luck.

Vortex Pro Extremes for me

..... they leave one helluva wound!
Posted By: hunterjrg Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/06/13
I used a Rage 2 blade 100 grainer this year again. I have yet to have an animal go further than 25 yards with these.
I also keep a 4 blade muzzy in the quiver.
gonna try nap spitfire maxx
I'm thinking of 125gr SlickTricks or GrizzTricks on my new custom Longbow I just made a trade on with Safaiman.

Curious as to what other Traditional Bow Hunters here would reccomend from actual shooting experience ?
I've been hunting with Compounds the last 30 years, but gave my Matthews to one of my Nephews. Decided I would "go Native" this year. smile
COC for the trad bow. Somethin just aint right about a longbow firing a "modern" looking head. German Kinetics would get my nod. Best COC 2 blade head on the market IMO
Got a link or know whe I might find some ?
Contact Jerry at South Shore Archery Supply. southshorearcherysupply.com

german-kinetics.com I believe is the manuf website. Do beware tho, there are some knockoffs of these heads out there
Thanks! I really appreciate the info.
No problem. Know last I heard he was still carrying them. I get all my fletching supplies from him. And word on the street is he builds an arrow that is second to none
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/09/13
Same Muzzy 100gr that I have used for a long time AND it worked on this song dog about 2 hours ago.....

[Linked Image]
Muzzy MX 4 100 grain .
Posted By: bludog Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/13/13
Wife and I are both gonna try the Rage 2 blade this year, hers is designed for her KE range (25.5" DL, 50# DW). She has had good luck past two seasons using Muzzy MX-3 but we both have gained some accuracy with the Rage, at least in practice. Surprised more aren't using this BH, is there something I don't know and should about them?
Posted By: RickcNY Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/13/13
All I can say about the 2 blade rage 100gr is the couple of deer I've shot with them made it no more than 40yards max and it was made dash and fell over dead ,further more I've heard of some really POOR shots that ended in recovery of the animal that I honestly don't think would have happened otherwise
Im in that boat. The doe i shot last year jumped my string. She ducked and wheeled and a slightly quartering to shot where the pin was placed between shoulder and sternum turned into the arrow entering at third rib from the rear and exiting just below her azzhole. The 2" cut got a main artery. Deer went maybe 70 yds. Blood trail was awesome. Definitely dont believe I recover this deer if i were shooting ST.
Good, thanks for the feedback. Hope is back home right now (mid-MO) and she'll be hunting on our farm this week. I'm stuck in Atl right now on a temp assignment but will get a 3 day weekend home in a couple weeks. Looking forward to a chance to try them out - and my new bow, Matthews Creed. Hopefully, she will already have first hand experience with the Rage 2-blade to share.
Here is a pic of the 8 pointer Hope got last season with the MX-3. Shot was a little back (he was quartering to her) and there was very little blood. She waited almost 2 hours before she started tracking - There was so little blood, she tracked him for almost another 2 hours and he had only gone 200 yds or so. She figured he'd gone those 200 yds and went down and didn't get up. Not really the Muzzy's fault, it did get the job done.

[URL=http://s373.photobucket.com/user/bludog873
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/13/13
Originally Posted by Mathsr

[Linked Image]

I just started making these heads a year ago and haven't ever shot one at a game animal. I didn't know how they would do on a deer and I worried that they would not perform well out of my recurve.

I shot a buck with my muzzle loader today and decided to give the flint broad head a try to confirm that they will do the job. I backed off about 15 yards and shot the hanging buck through the chest. It was amazing to watch the arrow disappear in the body of the deer since I about half expected it to bounce off. I got full pass through with my 32 inch arrow and the broad head looked just like it did before the shot. Looks like I'm good to go with the flint broad head on my next bow hunt. I'm confident that it will do the job on a live deer if I do my part.
Posted By: RickcNY Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/14/13
Nice buck ,good luck to both of you
Posted By: wildone Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/24/13
still killin chit with the steelforce 125's . When stuff stops falling over I'll start looking for new things.
thise steelforce phathead SOBs look interesting
Posted By: bbassi Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/27/13
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
COC for the trad bow. Somethin just aint right about a longbow firing a "modern" looking head. German Kinetics would get my nod. Best COC 2 blade head on the market IMO

They might be great heads but I've paid less for a couple bows than what those things cost.

FWIW, I shoot 145 or 160gr Snuffers, 'Snuff said.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/27/13
I"m of the decision, that since what i've had works, no need to get complicated.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/28/13
Another Muzzy vote...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/29/13
Alaska Bowhunting Supply sells them as the "Silver Flame"
Posted By: slg888 Re: Broadheads for this year - 10/30/13
Flying Muzzy broadheads for 17 yrs. They do the job well.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Broadheads for this year - 11/01/13
Shooting a crossbow and 2 weeks ago I shot a doe with a 150 gr boltcutter. Deer ran about 40 yds, but didnt bleed a drop. There wasnt even blood where the deer was laying.

So, I'm trying the 100 gr. Rage Crossbow X.

Since we have hogs, I will also keep a 100 gr G5 Montec in the quiver, for them.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Broadheads for this year - 11/01/13
Click...freeze.
Double click...still frozen.
Originally Posted by Steve692
The Toxic head is just out of the box of "normal" technology that I have to give them a try-out.

Lots of good heads out there and about as many reasons for picking one.

For each of us it is accuracy first always but penetration/blood trail/head strength etc all can have different priorities to each of us.

While a good blood trail has MORE (IMHO) to do with arrow placement than what head is used, the Toxic appears that it should/may/might/will create a type of wound channel that would be all but impossible to "plug" completely compared to a slice.

NOT saying that a slice cut wont WORK, they obviously do. A simple two blade Zwickey, well sharpened, will drop anything more than adequately and penetration is unbeatable yet perhaps it's just the "I want to see for myself" attitude I have that just wont let me NOT give these a trial run.

I'd face anything on this rock with several heads I have shot but I just want to try these out.

There is ALWAYS room for "just one more head" on my list of such.
The old man in me creates a bit of "oh man.....I don't know" thinking about these heads but, I wont Knock em.....till I nock em.

Hunt safe gang!

Darn, a triple post...hate it when that happens...

Going back to the Toxic discussion: finally saw pictures of a deer shot with the broadhead yesterday, not a spectacular entry or exit hole, the Rage and other expandables leave larger holes. Blood trail was similiar to a slick trick type fixed blade.

The deer was dead, so with proper placement, yeah, they work.

Local archery shop staff also said they are sensitive to any tuning issues with your bow/arrows, and will let you know they aren't liking the set-up.
Have seen pics if "toxic induced" wound channels as well. Not enough there to convince me to try them
Posted By: JoshK Re: Broadheads for this year - 11/06/13
Meat seekers,3 blade 1.5" cut.

Josh
© 24hourcampfire