Home
Posted By: seal_billy Frogs - 05/25/14
I am camping on my dads old home place and I usually gig a few frogs on the pond and sometimes shoot'em with a .22. Today I had an idea, shoot frogs with a bow. I'm thinking judo points and a light 25-35 pound recurve.

Any of you guys do this? Probably not but if so what is your setup?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Frogs - 05/27/14
No in a long time, but target arrows and field points pinned 'em down just fine.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Frogs - 05/27/14
Thanks, love your signature!
Posted By: fldoghunter Re: Frogs - 05/27/14
I've shot frogs with my bow. I didn't like shooting them with field tips. If you get a pass through, they will hop off. I much prefered using old broadheads. It doesn't matter if they're dull, if you get a pass through, they won't hop off when shot with a broad head.
Posted By: haverluk Re: Frogs - 05/27/14
Judo points work awesome. Recovered/recycled broadheads are great too. When they are dull, dinged up or chipped will still work great for frogs and you won't be as mad if you lose one.

I like to go after frogs on our pond with a bow on a hot summer evening; motivated by a cheap beer or two. Great practice and good eating.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Frogs - 06/15/14
I started shooting frogs with bows back when all you could get was Cedar arrows

It's best if you can pin them to the bank, but with wooden arrows if they managed to jump in the water you could just make another circle around the pond and they would be floating when you came around again
Posted By: 348srfun Re: Frogs - 08/08/14
We always used a bow. I don't ever remember using a gig, but I have shot some with 22 shorts. It depends on what is around the pond. We made a head out of a Bird point called a Snaro head if I remember correctly. It had loops of wire to help with hitting birds flying. We just cut the loops off and had a frog head that was like a judo point only about 3 inches wide. The judo points type head won't stick into unseen stumps and roots either. We used a cheap recurve to avoid ruining a good bow in the boat or in the swamps. Have fun, we did.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Frogs - 08/10/14
Killed hundreds (maybe thousands) with a .22 when I was a kid. Using a bow sounds like fun.
Posted By: Rem6br Re: Frogs - 08/11/14
I gigged a lot of frogs and shootin them with a bow sounds like fun.
Another thing I used to do is extend the handle on a dip net and catch em
at night. They would just jump right in.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Frogs - 08/12/14
We used BB guns for most of our frogging.
© 24hourcampfire