Home
Posted By: TAGLARRY First cow elk with a bow - 09/22/14
http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/TAGLARRY/media/imagejpg3_zps8ad3b4f9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

After 7 years of archery hunting I finally shot a cow in unit 421 Colorado. I have never launched an arrow at an elk because I didn't have an ethical shot. I was sitting over a small pond and a creek and she walked down the creek at 80 yards. I cow called her in to 20 yards in about 10 minutes. She gave me a broadside shot but then spun just as I shot (I think she saw me). The arrow hit her square in the chest and penetrated 17 inches. She ran 60 yards and fell over, the arrow hit the heart.
Posted By: 30338 Re: First cow elk with a bow - 09/22/14
I'd say passing those shots paid off in good karma for you. Glad you got her, should be great eating. You are one archery elk ahead of me right now:)
Posted By: smokepole Re: First cow elk with a bow - 09/22/14
Nice, good-eating, congrats on your first! I bet the second will be easier.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: First cow elk with a bow - 09/22/14

It always seems like it has to be a big bull to qualify as a worthwhile target with a bow, but I am not so picky. I have shot well over 50 elk, not one with a bow. Both my boys have gotten elk with a bow, me, I am still waiting.

I am envious of any bow kill, I hope to have the same luck some day, congratulations...
Congrats - any elk with a bow is a trophy in my book. Welcome to the club.
Posted By: LostArra Re: First cow elk with a bow - 09/25/14
Congratulations big time!

Cow elk with a bow are sure not consolation prizes.
I'm no expert but in September they seem like the smartest elk on the mountain.
Even I got bulls into longbow range last week. Of course, I had a cow tag and 50 yards was as close as I could get to the cows. I passed on a 5yard calf hoping mom would get closer.
Posted By: EricM Re: First cow elk with a bow - 09/25/14
Congrats!!! Nice shot!!
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: First cow elk with a bow - 09/25/14
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It always seems like it has to be a big bull to qualify as a worthwhile target with a bow, but I am not so picky. I have shot well over 50 elk, not one with a bow. Both my boys have gotten elk with a bow, me, I am still waiting.

I am envious of any bow kill, I hope to have the same luck some day, congratulations...

I agree.., IMO anything you kill with a bow is a trophy!
Posted By: ribka Re: First cow elk with a bow - 09/26/14
Any elk with a bow is a trophy. Congrats nice big cow
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: First cow elk with a bow - 09/26/14
Very nice, congratulations!
Posted By: stringnut Re: First cow elk with a bow - 09/29/14
I have never hunted elk, but, the wife has twice. She was successful both times. One bow, one rifle, both cows. Great eating. Lots of good memories from both hunts. Doing it right is the best trophy in my family. You definetly did it right. My best hunting memory is when I snuck up on a bedded whitetail spike buck and shot him at less than 30 yards.
Posted By: Scotty Re: First cow elk with a bow - 10/04/14
Congratulations
© 24hourcampfire