Home
My kids are interested in a bow with a red riser and gray limbs. The red comes at a pretty steep discount over camo.

Will the red scare off deer, or doesn't it matter?
It doesn't matter one iota.

The riser could be blaze orange or flo yellow and it still wouldn't matter.
Deer are color blind.
Killed a coyote last year. Hunting on the ground. Red all over my bow. No it doesn't matter
Just don't want metallic, gloss, etc - glare will spook a deer.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
It doesn't matter one iota.

The riser could be blaze orange or flo yellow and it still wouldn't matter.

X2 well said...
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Deer are color blind.

Ya! what about wearing blue jeans? grin
They see in shades more than colors. Blue jeans are a big No No for bow hunting! The Blue spectrum stands out in nature.
If it stays cheap maybe we will pick it up. The kids sure like it.
Red wont matter.
I agree that I think it won't matter, but if it bothers you it's an easy fix with either Krylon or tape.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
My kids are interested in a bow with a red riser and gray limbs. The red comes at a pretty steep discount over camo.

Will the red scare off deer, or doesn't it matter?

It will definitely scare deer if you wave it around like I do my camo one! laugh
I paid a lot of money for a custom recurve that's got red in the riser. I sure as hell hope it doesn't effect the deer. But, I'd probably have noticed it by now since it's spent a lot of time with me during the season.

No worries, get what will make them happy.
Its glossy/shiny that might spook a deer, other wise you should be fine.
no it will be the same color as the fall woods , but deer don't care since they supposed to only see in Black and White. Shinny and Glare is your worst enemy .
My dad killed many deer in blue jeans before camo was a big thing.
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas

I kill plenty of deer in jeans these days.

All the camo stuff unless on birds, is a lot overated.

Even on doves and such I may toss on a camo t shirt, but what good is that with white arms.. almost alwasy only wearing blue jeans for them.

As noted, reflections and movement and not being smelled are the biggest things...

Have killed with blue jeans and white tshirt on before too...
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas

I killed many deer in blue jeans before camo was a big thing.

Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Deer are color blind.

I believe they are able to see dull shades of blue & yellow.

-Ken

I won't matter in the least. You may improve your success rate because the bow will be easier to find after you set it down in the woods ...

Not that I'd ever do that.
Bowflage is cheap and easily removable. A custom camo job with leaves and stuff is cool, too, if you're worried about it.

A lot of the red I see is pretty bright. I wouldn't want to use it. These bows may be different. I had to coat my bow limbs with mud one year because the pronghorns were seeing something in the color or shine of the new longbow. Shot my biggest buck after doing that.
Read an article in the past where the author was saying that problems happen at twilight when the deer is in effect going into night vision and the brighteners used in blue jean and other clothing will show up in the deers' eye because of a frequency shift in their vision. Just repeating what I read, the
Author seemed to know what he was talking about for what it is worth.Cheers NC
Hope red doesn't bother them because I have an Obsession Delta 6 in Stormy Hardwoods Original with red cams coming. Didn't seem to bother the dead deer or the dead coyote last season
© 24hourcampfire