Home
Posted By: MojoHand Just for S&G's... - 05/31/15
Was out with the PSE today and shot some vid to critique my form (as if I know what I'm looking for!) blush

Anyway, decided to set up the camera down range and catch some action. This is at 50 yds and I noticed two interesting things...

First, the noise of the arrow as it is coming in. Definitely different than from behind the bow. Also, I don't know what the average effective max range would be before an animal would be spooked by the sound. I'm sure it varies and depends on the situation.

Second, how hard that arrow is hitting at 50 yds. When shooting I'm concentrating on follow through and dont really notice any movement of the target but I was surprised at the 'punch' that arrow was delivering at that range (the target probably weighs, idk, 30 lbs?). I can only imagine how she'll do with some Slick Tricks affixed to the end!

So far I am really enjoying this bow. Very smooth, enough speed and pretty quiet and shock free (again, the impressions of a newbie). Hopefully, I'll get to draw blood with it this fall...

Posted By: swag Re: Just for S&G's... - 05/31/15
That's pretty cool, thanks for posting.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Just for S&G's... - 06/01/15
Mojo,

What vanes to you have on your arrows? I've used NAP Quick-spins and especially the Twisters that sound like that.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Just for S&G's... - 06/01/15
Blazers have a distinct "buzz" sound when cutting through the air. I haven't had a deer react to that sound but I haven't shot any deer beyond 25 yards.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Just for S&G's... - 06/01/15
Think thats loud, put some feathers on there!

Watch how deer duck when a blue jay or such comes flying in....

We didn't have cameras in the day but would sit behind a big tree and do the same tests to see how much noise things made, feathers/vanes, short long etc...

Came to teh conclusion from that and from lots of shooting deer/at deer, over a number of years that 15 yards and in was safe. Beyond that you might get by most of the time but not all the time... and so my max was set....
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Just for S&G's... - 06/01/15
I'm running 4" feathers on those shafts. When I first shot it at 40 yds I was surprised at how 'long' it took to get to the target (been shooting rifles too long!) whistle and by how noisy the feathers were.

You can't really hear the arrows in the vid until they're close but I suspect deer have a little better hearing than my camera! (Grin)

I'm gonna continue to practice out to 50 but figure 30 might be the practical hunting limit.
Posted By: pointer Re: Just for S&G's... - 06/02/15
Hitting the South Hills this elk season?
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Just for S&G's... - 06/02/15
Not for elk, buddy....unfortunately.

But unless I draw for rifle I'm guaranteed a bow tag in the south hills and an antelope tag to the southwest by Three Creek/Roseworth area.

Here's hoping I can get something this year... wink
Posted By: pointer Re: Just for S&G's... - 06/03/15
Good luck! I love that part of the state. Even more when I draw two limited entry tags like that I did last year. laugh
Posted By: Aught6 Re: Just for S&G's... - 06/13/15
That's pretty cool.
© 24hourcampfire