Home
Curious what you guys are shooting this year for broadheads, and what you plan to shoot them at. I've shot ST's for several years now, but this year I'll be hunting with the Exodus heads. Got elk, whitetail,muley and maybe moose on the menu, and might even stumble into a black bear. No complaints with the slicks, but the Exodus is shooting a little better for me and seems quite a bit quieter in flight. We will see how it goes.....So what are you guys using?
Slick Tricks. Mostly Feral Hogs and WhiteTails. They fly truer than any other Broadhead I've tried.
Slick Trick 100 grn magnum. Never any flight issues from a properly tuned bow
Pearson Deadheads or Bear Razor heads. Usually just shooting deer and hogs.
Slick Tricks preferred for fixed, or will use Rage or NAP Killzone for mechs - all have worked well for me.

Deer and turkey primarily, will be after an elk this Fall with the Slick Tricks.
Magnus 125 grain 2-blade stingers. whitetails
Slick trick viper's 125 for most game. 125 magnums as well they shoot identical.

However I am shooting rage hypodermics for some smaller species and always on turkeys. This invention is the ultimate Turkey broadhead.
Muzzy 90gr 4-Blade. Elk, Mule deer and Antelope. Have taken 1/2 dz bulls and twice that many mule deer and a handfull of antelope with them on various arrows over the last 20 years. I have changed bows, arrows, nearly everything else but the broadheads have remained constant. I consider them the Nosler Partition of broadheads - there is new shinny (expensive) stuff every year but these get the job done and are proven. No need for me to change.
QAD Exodus... Third year for my son and I to use the Exodus on whitetails. We have shot whitetail, turkey and coyote with excellent results. There are hogs in our neck of the woods but we haven't had an opportunity on a hog yet. Our bows are well tuned and the Exodus flys like a laser right to point of aim along with field points. I've yet to find one that wasn't razor shaving sharp right out of the box. I'd like to try the Slick Tricks but I have so much confidence in the Exodus and no reason to switch so I just bought another pack of QAD's for this year.
Longbow: Ace for anything from rabbits to hogs to deer to elk

Compound: Slick trick 125 mag
Whitetails...
Compound-100gr. Thunderheads
Crossbow-100gr. Wasp Bullets
Slick Trick standards.
Muzzy 4 blade 130 grain for Elk. These are so old I don't believe they make them any more. I still have quite a few of these I purchased many years ago and have had great results over 20 plus years of use. Tom
Whitetails

Compound 100gr Muzzy 3 blade - been using them for years, nothing fancy and gets the job done.

Crossbow 100gr Rage or 100gr Muzzy when I run out - Rage is bada$$. 2" of cutting blade, lays them open. Awesome. The problem is they're about $35.00 for 3, so I try to use my Cabella's points.
Not sure what broadhead I'm using this year yet. Thinking about using some grim reapers for my mule deer hunt.
F 15 s. Elk deer bear.
Steel Force 100 gr. Phat Heads for whitetails here in PA....
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Steel Force 100 gr. Phat Heads for whitetails here in PA....

I tried Steel Force about 10 years ago. They're pretty nasty, but I had some trouble with them flying straight on the longer shots, so I switched back to Muzzy's. They will do the job on the shorter shots though.
100gr G5 Montecs. Whitetail and black bear.
Montec G5.....used them on elk. Did the trick, easy blood trail to follow. Fly nice and straight.
100gr Thunderheads for elk, deer and bear.
Stos 160grn Two blade. From a 53# Blacktail recurve. Just got back from Canada bear hunt. Got a 6' bear. Shot completely through him with the Stos on a Sitka Spruce arrow from Paul Jalon.
190 grs. 2" wide Simmons Tree Sharks. I used to switch around a lot till I shot a whitetail with these. I only hunt deer these days..with recurves.
Ulmer edge is what I've been shooting the past few years. Love them.

Gotta love the Toxic...
Razor trick's for me..
Exodus 100 grain heads for deer and bear...have been using them for three years and really like them
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Gotta love the Toxic...

Do tell. I've seen them but they looked a bit gimmicky to me, but of course things are not always what they appear.
I don't see myself changing from the slick trick anytime soon. If I do, it will be to the grave digger.
Slick Tricks for me. I use them for whitetail hunting. They shoot closest to a field point of any broadhead I've tried.
I seem to be about the only one but I have always used Wasp 4 blade SST, I have had good luck with them and they are not too expensive. I use them for elk and deer.

Slick trick 100 gr magnum.

Never failed me.

-Ken

100 grain g5 montec carbon steel, Whitetails, mule deer, elk and black bear

fly really really good!
I use both Slick Trick mag and Magnus four blade, both in 125 grain. Have had exceptional luck with both on deer and large African animals.
Wife and I will both be shooting 3 blade 100 gr Muzzy's this season. But there sure are a lot of you shooting STs.
100 gr 3 blade Muzzy, killing deer with them since 1994. Tried the NAP Killzones took a couple with them and had one not pentrate on a shoulder, went back to the old Muzzy 100. Why change good results.
My first bear with a mechanical came this weekend. Ive been very slow to actually use a mechanical on a big game animal. I've used them on turkeys for years. I think on turkeys they are the best invention in broad heads possible. The stiff quills snap the blades open and the light bones allow even a mechanical to crush and slice through them.

When I was given a pack of the hypodermics by another outfitter and asked to just give them a shot, I agreed that I would. At which point I had at least a few mechanicals here that I was fooling around with on the turkeys. The only one I liked and that functioned 100% of the time was the Rage, I don't know the model, It's green and has a half moon shaped razor on the tip.

It was too flimsy in my opinion to use on big game. Then when I was given the package of the Hypodermics, ...... well they were built like I would build something. These were heavy duty and sharp as possible. I used the practice head in the package to shoot with my field points. There was no difference in the POI. I used one of the functional heads to shoot a turkey, opened upon impact and before entry, this is a decisive function which must happen with a mechanical or it's off the list for me. Way too many designs open upon impact but after entry.

These leave a small entry hole, then open so big they take extraordinary power to exit. Thats a big problem if they don't exit. Now all you have is a bullet hole on the entry side. If from a tree stand it's a bullet hole up high too. The whole intent with this is an extraordinary blood trail after all.

So I shoot a bear with it, A nice big bear too, well over the 300lb mark and with a 19" skull. So it was a good test animal with a good size. The shot was 26-28 yards, from a tree stand. shooting down. I was 17 feet up to the bow, not the platform, so probably 14 foot to the platform. The steepness of the canyon puts me only 12-15 feet from the ground next to me at eye level on one side and with the creek on the opposite side below me the stand is probably 25 feet from the ground on that side.

I shoot 65 pounds with an Elite energy 32, 28.5" draw 440 grain arrows and getting about 285fps. I have video of this shot which is crystal clear. The arrow and the bright green Lighted nock went perfectly through the bears chest. The light disappeared, and in slow motion the bear has not moved or even realized it has been hit. Then a split second goes by and he leaps to bite the wound. At this point on the video the blood can be clearly seen pouring from the hole. In the next second he is full span stride running, with blood pouring from the hole and seen as a big red cloud under him in the video. Another long stride with the exact same big red cloud, and he was gone.

About 3-5 seconds go by and he can be heard giving up with the moaning sound typical of bears. When recovered he was not 50 yards from the shot. The arrow exited clean trough and was laying on the ground just beyond where he stood. This was as fast as a bear can be killed or stopped without a CNS hit. Even with a firearm I have seen many bears go this far or further.

So the rage hypodermic has done as well as anyone could expect on this. Better then I expected, but as I was hoping it would turn out. I will use one on my next bear as well. I have no opinion on big game where steep quartering shots, or bone impact is involved. However I have very little experience in those conditions with a fixed blade head either. I'm in a fortunate point in my life that if I don't like the shot I don't take it. There will be more chances. So I don't participate in the debates that mechanicals don't work in some conditions. I don't use them or any other broad head in those conditions to have concern with.

One other thought, I love the Switchback at 63 pounds and 265fps with 425 grain arrows. There is however a pretty significant difference with 65 pounds at 285fps with a 440 -450 grain arrows.

Only 2 more pounds of draw weight, but a nice increase in delivered power! This is the power level a guy needs to get the best performance from a mechanical. Sub 60 pound draw and light arrows I believe are the recipe for failure or poor performance. This is where I believe the controversy with mechanicals has it's roots. Mechanicals need more power.
I use the three blade NAP Thunderheads in my compounds and Magnus Two Blade Stingers in my Longbows.
Well lookee what showed up in the mail today (along with my broad head target)....

[Linked Image]

Interestingly enough,mother local Sportsmans Warehouse had the 'old' packaging ST in standard and Magnum for $28. On te same shelf were the 'new' packaged ST including some Vipertricks.....$40!

Guess that yellow ink is expensive! whistle

I'll be hunting Muleys with these as I drew rifle for elk and pronghorn.
I'll be using ST because they seem popular, I've been outta archery for years, and I don't have to think about it.....
ive shot 20+ deer with Grim reaper mechs, broad side, quarter away, quarter to, straight on, never had one go over 50yards, had a few take 3-4 steps and fall over with blood shooting out like a horror movie, for whitetails/muleys/antelope i would use nothing else.
Originally Posted by centershot
Muzzy 90gr 4-Blade. Elk, Mule deer and Antelope. Have taken 1/2 dz bulls and twice that many mule deer and a handfull of antelope with them on various arrows over the last 20 years. I have changed bows, arrows, nearly everything else but the broadheads have remained constant. I consider them the Nosler Partition of broadheads - there is new shinny (expensive) stuff every year but these get the job done and are proven. No need for me to change.

Centershot, are these the bh`s you are using?
http://www.mountain-archery.com/muzzy4bladebroadheads.aspx

You fellas remember the old Dan Fitzgerald hunting shows? "Em muzzies is still sharp" what a load that guy was. I did always liked that they came with the practice blades. I'd say Bear Razorheads are more like Partitions, Muzzy's are Accubonds.

But, like bullets, most work just fine.
Muzzy Phantoms for me, mostly cause the 220 gr. ones match my 225 gr. field points and they are stainless. I like to be weatherproof when I camp out in the elk woods.
Originally Posted by 16bore
You fellas remember the old Dan Fitzgerald hunting shows? "Em muzzies is still sharp" what a load that guy was. I did always liked that they came with the practice blades. I'd say Bear Razorheads are more like Partitions, Muzzy's are Accubonds.

But, like bullets, most work just fine.
I do! I remember him shooting a mouse, INSIDE the cabin with his bow.
Mojo,
Those viper tricks are the best penetrating broad heads I've ever used or seen used by my hunters.

Been a slick trick fan since the first version on the market a long long time ago. Gary really nailed the designs with this viper trick. The Cut on contact head design although not much visually, it a significant improvement on bigger game or with lighter draw weights. I've had them zip through every single time, even on wild hogs.
Originally Posted by USMC2602
100gr G5 Montecs. Whitetail and black bear.

X2
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Mojo,
Those viper tricks are the best penetrating broad heads I've ever used or seen used by my hunters.

Been a slick trick fan since the first version on the market a long long time ago. Gary really nailed the designs with this viper trick. The Cut on contact head design although not much visually, it a significant improvement on bigger game or with lighter draw weights. I've had them zip through every single time, even on wild hogs.

That's good to hear!

I must say, as a retuning newbie to bow hunting on first glance that broad head looked waay too small to be effective on big game. That's why I do research, though, and all the pics and testimonials can't be wrong! laugh

Sure hope I get a chance to add to those tales here in about a month...
How long you been away? Its been 10+ years for me. Schit is over the top, and I'm looking at midrange stuff.

But liking the odds...
Last time for me was 20 yrs ago as a teen in WI. Had an old Indian if you remember those! blush

Getting back into it was a little intimating with all the new tech and gewgaws. I recognized that there was just as much hype in archery as any hobby so did a LOT of research to find something higher than entry level without going all out on a 'flagship' bow.

I also read enough to know a lot of guys were still harvesting a lot of deer with bows several years old or more so I knew I didn't have to have the latest and greatest (or buy a new one every couple of years).

I will say my Drive LT is far easier to shoot accurately than I thought it would be. I anticipated a really steep learning curve but I was pleasanty surprised how accurate and easy to shoot it's been (obviously, I can always improve).

There's definitely something very challenging and satisfying about shooting a bow. My rifles are just too easy!
I'm finding that the best way (for me) is to have a "700, ADL, 30-06, 3x9 Leupold, 150 CorLokts" attitude to avoid the burnout like I've had dinking with rifles. I KNOW how easy it is to get wrapped up in it, and 5 minutes on archery talk will do it.

Muzzy Trocar. Elk
Ramcats....they fly dart/mechanical like in all my bows and crossbows, but cut big on entry like a non-mech, penetrate and handle bone well. Use some rage, also.
Muzzy Mx3 100grain is what I use for whitetail
Wensel Woodsmans and Magnus Stinger 4 blades - 150gr
100 grain NAP Hellrazors have blown clean through my last 3 elk.
Originally Posted by SCRUBS

Centershot, are these the bh`s you are using?
http://www.mountain-archery.com/muzzy4bladebroadheads.aspx

Those are the ones - just sent one through this guy Sunday morning. Went through him so fast, he looked up the hill at the clang the arrow made when it hit beyond him. Then he just walked off about 40 yards and dropped over dead. I never did find my arrow - not sure how far it went after passing through him. [Linked Image]
Grim Reapers!! Shot Muzzy"s for years and they killed a bunch of deer,had my local bow shop convince me to try Grim Reapers and I aint goin BACK!!! They KILL like nothin I ever seen!!
You shooting the regular 1-3/8" cut or the whitetail version? I've been shooting Slick Tricks for years with no issues but I do have some Reapers I've been thinking of trying.
Whitetail's. They will kill like nothin you ever seen!!!
NAP Spitfire 100 2-blades for deer, elk, bear.
100gr Slick Trick magnum
VPA's 100 grain vented.

I'm very impressed by these broadheads.

Tough as nails and fly great.

I was a die-hard Trophy Taker Shuttle T-Lok fan until I tried these.
Man some of these broadheads are expensive - last pack of 6) Muzzys I bought was less than $30. Now many are $10+ each, good grief.
Man some of these broadheads are expensive - last pack of 6) Muzzys I bought was less than $30. Now many are $10+ each, good grief.

...and disposable.
2 blade Zwickey 160 grains
I shoot 45-58lb recurve and long bows
going for Whitetail
I will be using Dirt Nap Gar's 100 grain DRT broadheads

Attached picture Pink.jpg
Whitetail, possibly black bears

Rage 100 grain 2 blade

Whitetails

125gr NAP Spitfire and 125gr Slick Trick Mags
Wasp Jak-Hammer SST 100 gr. have been fantastic for me. I also have Rage 3 blade in the quiver, but have never put one through anything.
Standard muzzy 100's. Nothing better.
I'm strictly a recurve shooter.

160gr Snuffers have worked for years on deer and bear but I'll be shooting 160 STOS for moose next week.

check out the Silver Flames .
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Slick Trick standards.
+1
Slick Tricks, standards in the coumpound, and the 175 grain Xbows in the crossbow! I dont think they are makeing the 175s anymore tho!
Slick trick 100 grain magnums in the compound.

100 grain standards on the crossbow.
Originally Posted by 16bore
I'm finding that the best way (for me) is to have a "700, ADL, 30-06, 3x9 Leupold, 150 CorLokts" attitude to avoid the burnout like I've had dinking with rifles. I KNOW how easy it is to get wrapped up in it, and 5 minutes on archery talk will do it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

AMEN to that friend !

When I got back into archery 5 years ago I came out of the gate doing the gun nut thing -best of this -try that - different rings fit better ok i'll get some ----ended up with three bows -three different arrows -4 different sights etc.-etc..
I use one bow --the other two don't get touched they just sit and devalue down to nothing -they're a reminder to me to not do stupid stuff.

Slick Trick 100gr. standard.
Rocky Mountain 125 grain. Been using them for 25 yrs
Wasp Boss 125 grain. Whitetails, turkeys and pigs.
Depending on which bow I am using, either Slick Trick 100 grain or Slick Trick 125 grain. I use both for deer, antelope, elk and coyote.
The Gold Tip Devastator bolt is in my Recruit Recurve crossbow.

It has a folded three blade bolt.

[img]https://ll-us-i5.wal.co/asr/d72b239...ht=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF[/img]

Originally Posted by acooper1983
ive shot 20+ deer with Grim reaper mechs, broad side, quarter away, quarter to, straight on, never had one go over 50yards, had a few take 3-4 steps and fall over with blood shooting out like a horror movie, for whitetails/muleys/antelope i would use nothing else.

2nd on the Grim Reapers
Grizz Trick 2's, black bear, deer, pigs and coyote if one happens by.
bought 50 Rocket ultimate steel broadheads couple years back got a dozen left 125grn. fixed 3 blade.
Wasp Jak-Hammer....Whitetail.
If you make a good shot,it doesn't matter what broadhead you use.
Slick Tricks 100 for compound

NAP Spitfire 3-Blade Mechanical for Crossbow.

This doe went 12 yards...

[Linked Image]

This pic shows arrow after complete penetration, and dead deer in one picture (Heart Shot)...

[Linked Image]
Mostly QAD Exodus - 100 grains. I recently picked up some German Kinetics XL 125 grainers, don't know if I'll have any in the quiver this season or not.
I like mechanicals. I've shot 2 for the last several years. Rage and G5 Havoc. The later one is very solid and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt elk or other larger animals....

I hunt deer and hogs.
Just busted another one with RazorTricks last weekend. He went about 70 yards. I love that broadhead, by now they discontinued it. My luck.
Steel Force 100 gr. Phat Heads, whitetail buck....

Slick's 100gr.

-Ken

[Linked Image]
Crossbow for deer I use 100 gr Rage and for hogs a 100 gr. G5 Montec.
Being the color blind [bleep] I am, I use 100gr rage hypodermics with my compound for the massive blood trails my eyes can sometimes pickup in daylight. I'm forced to use BlueStar when it becomes dark while tracking though.

I`m using Grim Reapers this year, 1st time using mechanicals. Shot a little buck,it zipped right through him, we found the arrow 30-35 yards on the other side.

Going to give Magnus Stingers a try.
G5 Striker 125gr. Pass through on one broadside bull and about 2/3 penetration on a quartering-to shot. Prior to that I shot the 100gr version of the same head. Got an aaalllllllmost pass through on that year's bull. It poked a hole in the off-side hide but the shaft stayed in the bull. All of those resulted in dead elk within 75 yards or less.
for grouse and rabbits I use G5 small game heads
for turkeys I use spitfires
for deer I have turned to Rage hypodermic 1.5" 100 gr
and for elk I use Magnus buzzcuts
I've been using 100gr Swhackers for 3 years with outstanding results. Am I the only one using them?
Deer-pigs Rocky Mountain broads heads
2" Rage entrance wound...Picture taken tonight from Buck I shot.

[Linked Image]
Have shot 100gr. 4 blade muzzys for years with awesome results. Did however shoot a bear with an expandable this year and it performed awesome. Dead in less than 65 yards. Still on the fence with expandables though after shooting fixed blades for years.
I've used the 100gr Steel force for years but they won't shoot as well from my new bow...a bit too fast to stabilize it properly but love how it works at around 325fps. I had a complete pass thru on a 5 pt bull at 93 yds with my old BowTech Patriot and the Steel force but I shoot Muzzy 100gr 3 blades and 100gr Wac'em's with field point accuracy afrom my BowTech RPM 360. This past years bull was taken with a complete pass thru at 65 yds using the Wac'em. The tip folded a bit going through one of the ribs so I think from that standpoint the Muzzy is a tougher head. You can use either with devastating results but I will lean towards Muzzy's. I
Swackers 100gr for me. Been using for 4 years now
© 24hourcampfire