Home
Posted By: bea175 Single Pin Sights - 08/22/15
Who uses them?
Posted By: skywalker Re: Single Pin Sights - 08/22/15
Just put an HHA 3019 on a new bow.....getting accustomed to it....takes some time.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Single Pin Sights - 08/22/15
Love my HHA XL5519... Been using the HHA for three years now and I don't miss the multi pin sights and have no plans to ever switch back.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Single Pin Sights - 08/22/15
I've used single pin sights for 15 years now
Montana black gold it great. I now have an accutouch which has click adjustments for each distance. I can choose any range from 20-80 yards in 5 yard clicks. Don't even have to look at what I'm doing just count the clicks.

It seems overly adjustable when new, but once set up its pretty darn nice. The first couple months I was on the edge of switching it back to the Montana black gold.

However right now, that it's dialed in I really like it a lot.

On my other bow I have a trijicon which it very nice but way to expensive to be attractive to enough shooters to be popular. I like the nuke pin that is bright all the time without batteries. The dial adjustment broke on me after 2 years. They fixed it free and returned it within 3 weeks. Some screw stripped out in the mechanism so the yardage dial just spun.

I've had many others but that was long ago. These are the three modern or current versions I've used.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Single Pin Sights - 08/22/15
HHA Optimizer Lite Sight - OL-5519 LH This is the one I'm thinking of switching to
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Single Pin Sights - 08/23/15
MBG Ascent Ambush.

I'm a newbie but I really like it. Remains to be seen if I screw up with it this season but I'm training the brain....
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Single Pin Sights - 08/23/15
I DID. It broke at a bad time. It was great other than that.
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Single Pin Sights - 08/23/15
Maann!

Don't be telling me that with season only six days away! crazy
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Single Pin Sights - 08/24/15
Montana BG Ascent 3 pin. Fixed pins to 40 yards, bottom of the three pins becomes the rover after 40 yards. The whole housing moves, with all three pins, but I haven't had a problem with them, or confusion on a target.

I've used the HHAs single pins, and the G-5 Optix RX with three pins and the floater.

Watch you quiver mount with the HHA, it may not clear the bar. I owned a couple, and the quiver clearance was a problem. Spacers solved it, but the quiver was quite a way out from the bow, and threw the balance off for me.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Single Pin Sights - 08/24/15
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Maann!

Don't be telling me that with season only six days away! crazy

Lots of my friends use them with no problem. I just can't have something after it leaves me in a bind.
Posted By: RDW Re: Single Pin Sights - 08/24/15
I switched from a multi-pin to an HHA last year, so I far like the clear sight picture of a single pin.
Posted By: fldoghunter Re: Single Pin Sights - 08/24/15
I'm not really a bow hunter, though I do bow hunt. I switched to a single pin 8-10 years ago. One thing I did, just in case I needed it in a hurry, was made second mark lower on the vertical pin. I usually leave it set at 25 yards (unless I'm sitting on a defined trail). I made a mark where I can use that at 35 yards, if I don't have time to move it. It's basically a +10 mark until I get to long ranges.
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: Single Pin Sights - 09/01/15
I use a Truglo Range rover single pin, I love the open field of view it presents. I was having trouble with a fixed three pin blurring on me because the pins were so close, and was unable to make out my target. I killed 2 deer last year with the Truglo and will be using it again this year. I usually leave it set at 20 and adjust accordingly as needed.
Posted By: colodog Re: Single Pin Sights - 09/01/15
I had a Cobra single pin on the old bow and an HHA on the new bow, they work well for me.
Posted By: Slayer_mn1 Re: Single Pin Sights - 09/02/15
HHA with the .010" pin, love it and wouldn't want to use anything else.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Single Pin Sights - 09/03/15
What we really need is a fixed ,010 20 yard pin and then a moveable .019 pin for everything else.

In a tough housing that can be range adjusted with a bow mounted quiver and hold a light on the riser side of the housing

That's the sight I've been wanting
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Single Pin Sights - 09/03/15
I've never tried one. How quick/easy is it to change yardage if your target moved or another one came into view? Is it something you could do at full draw?
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: Single Pin Sights - 09/05/15
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
I've never tried one. How quick/easy is it to change yardage if your target moved or another one came into view? Is it something you could do at full draw?

Taco, it would be near impossible to change yardage on a fixed sight at full draw. But my theory is if i'm at full draw I have already committed to what I am going to shoot and would follow through with the shot.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Single Pin Sights - 09/08/15
been using the HHA 5519 for several years now and prefer it over multi-pin sights. Very simple to change but you won't change it when at full draw and don't know why you'd ever need to.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Single Pin Sights - 09/08/15
I’ve been using an HHA single pin for a few years now. The multi-pin sights where just too confusing and cluttered. Now I sight in for 30 and can generally hold straight on for 25-35. I hold a few inches high at 40 and a few inches low at 20. Although I practice at longer distances, and have some settings I could use and move the pin, those are only intended for shots at game already wounded.

In reference to AH64guy’s comment, I use a quiver that is not attached to the bow.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Single Pin Sights - 09/11/15
1 pin gets it done for me
Posted By: MGunns Re: Single Pin Sights - 09/11/15
Curious if anyone is using a single pin/reticle for crossbow?
Posted By: markopolo50 Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/10/16
I don't have one but all the guys I know that have crossbows use scopes with lines. I have helped a few set up and most can shoot to 70 yards with the bottom line in their scope.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/11/16
Single pin MBG for me
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/11/16
I use one. Big improvement.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/11/16
Originally Posted by MGunns
Curious if anyone is using a single pin/reticle for crossbow?

I am using a Zeiss 2-8 scope with a #6 reticle. I just figured out what power setting I needed to have so that the top of the post gave me 50 yards.

After comparing everything I could get my hands on for crossbow scopes under low light conditions I decided they're all junk compared to a decent rifle scope. I was shooting this year under heavy canopy of red oaks and lots of leaves on the ground and facing into the sunset. Bambi usually showed up at about 1/2 hour past sunset give or take a little and crossbow scopes wouldn't give me that. The Zeiss is kinda pricey, but it's also a much more precise solution that solves low light and bad conditions spectacularly. I shot two putting in just above the brisket, through the heart and out through the umbilicus. One I put it in a little higher on the neck, cut bone all the way down the neck and stopped in the top of the heart. The fourth I waited for a month to get one dead perfect broadside and put it through just above the heart taking out the great vessels and both lungs.

It'd take a lot of show me to make me try another scope now.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/11/16
umbilicus hmm I didn't even know deer had one of them
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/12/16
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
umbilicus hmm I didn't even know deer had one of them

That comes with being born into a lot of vertebrate species, not just placental mammals.
Posted By: centershot Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/16/16
I have tried them but have always came back to 3 pins. I set a 25, 40 and 50. Makes for a very simple hunting setup - anything close put the 25 on an whack him. (With a bow shooting 280fps or so the 25 yd pin will be in the white of a nfaa target from 5-30 yards or plus/minus about 2") Anything not close I usually have time to range and use the proper pin. If the animal is coming in I can just move through the pins at full draw and shoot - not adjusting, letting down, resetting, movement etc. What I don't like is that it is not as exact as having a pin right on the yardage for 3D or target shooting. I have considered a moving 3 pin but always thought is was just too much stuff to go wrong when compared to a simple pin sight. I need to try one again and give it a few months too see if I can get with it or not. Darn things cost more than a nice rifle scope so it becomes a pretty expensive experiment.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/16/16
Ive been using the single pin sights now for the majority of my hunting career. There was a time with slower bows and aluminum arrows that the gap between the pins was big enough to use the multipin sights. With bows now shooting 300fps as a nearly normal situation the pins are so close it blocks the view of the target for me. The sight picture is very cluttered and disruptive.

I have used a few different single pin sights. The one I liked best in operation theory was not structurally functional as a hunting sight. It had one fixed pin I set at 20 yards and the the other was a dial adjustable pin that was set at any distance you needed. This is without a doubt the best arrangement I have ever used.

It was easy to see the setting of the second pin by the gap between it and the fixed pin. I wish spot hogg would make this design because they make really bullet proof equipment.

There are others that make fixed pins, which when adjusted move the whole rack of pins. Clever, but still with mistake risks by having the whole rack of pins adjusted down and not realizing it.

The Single fixed 20 yard pin works perfectly from 15-25 which at least for me is 90% of the shooting I do. Yet the adjustable pin can be set to 30-50-70 yards or anything in between in two seconds. When in a Tree stand the fixed pin at 20 ( 15-25 yards) is the foundation of the Bow, and the adjustable set for 30 gets you 25-35 yards. That's about 99% of the tree stand shots we take.

Too bad there is no tank like sight made with this design. It's clearly the design all of us are after!
Posted By: centershot Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/17/16
That would be a sight I would be seriously interested in. A fixed for quick shots at close range and a single mover for longer ranges when you have time to range and adjust. Could be a very simple sight, easily adjustable (your 5 yard clicks would be nice) - I like it.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/17/16
Trophy Taker Option sights. Best of both worlds. We are a dealer for them. Rather pricey but definitely a quality sight
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/18/16
Since writing this post I have been piled up with PM's and spoken to a whole bunch of guys that have all said the same thing...... The common feeling "this is so obvious" why are there none of these sights made?

The more I think about this, it's true, We all want our basic dead nuts fixed 20 or 25 yard pin

After that an adjustable pin to get us from 25 to the limit of the bow is the solution to all our aiming challenges. G5 makes this exact sight, but it's horrible flimsy construction that does not even come close to my idea of a hunting sight. HHA or spot hogg construction with this design it the ticket!

The Key is bullet proof durability. I would like a sight light option, and pin size choices too.
Posted By: centershot Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/18/16
The G5 is close, but they over complicated (and over priced) it. KISS this should not be difficult, one fixed pin and a moving pin on a threaded rod with a knob on the bottom. It only needs to move about 3/4"
The biggest problem with the G5 is the poor construction, all the exposed barely held in place fiber optic lines on the back of the sight. All those are just begging to get hung up in the field. The poor metal is so easily stripped when tightening the hardware, and the overall feel of the product is just " cheap"

The Trophy taker is close to properly done. However they use the hinged sight ring to select between the two, way too complicated, and even if it were simpler, the adjustable pin should be the one that swings out, not the fixed pins. You default to the standard 20-25 yard fixed pin and then use the adjustable for the longer more complicated shots. They built this exactly backwards!

When stalking I want my go to pin at the ready at all times. This is the 20-25 yard pin. The other one that adjusts can be put into play only as needed
I've had every manufacturer I have addressed this with say exactly the same thing and they all miss the point!

All of them have said you set the top position to the 20-25 yard distance and then it's a fixed 25 yard setting, only if you need to shoot further then adjust it down.

That in theory works perfectly and is logical....... Except for the reality of the situation while hunting! You will inevitably adjust this sight to another distance at some point. If you don't have the deliberate discipline to set it back to the top, then you're screwed on your next 20 yard shot when it's set to the 35 yard distance you had previously shot at.

It's why one needs to be dead set at the most common preferred range, and the other is adjustable. One you can shoot without any thought, the other you will set properly because you know it's the moveable pin. You will also notice the pin gap to see pretty quick it's way of,f if that is the case.
Posted By: centershot Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/22/16
Fixed 20-25, movable pin for everything else. Just put it on a simple mechanism like a micro adjustable sight, reach around on top or bottom and give it a turn to the desired distance. Maybe they would have a hard time selling $300 sights with something like this around.
Posted By: N2TRKYS Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/22/16
I always liked a fixed 3-pin sight set at 20-30-40 yards on my Mathews MQ1. Two years ago I bought a new bow that is faster than my old bow. I put a G5 Optix XR with 3 fixed pins and a floater. I set theses pins at 30-40-50-60. That sight left alot to be desired as far as brightness. I bought a HHA DS5519 this year. Since I can shoot zero to 30 yards, I usually leave the HHA set on 30 yards. Most of my hunting shots are 30 yards and in anyway. This is my first year with a single pin and I think I'm gonna like it.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/22/16
Another vote for HHA.
I used a Viper 340 front though (yanked all pins but one).
Gave me one horizontal pin (no like vertical pin it came with).
No level either- yanked that.
Ran it on my Hoyt and Mathews.
Left it at 25 yds, slightly snug.
If I had time before the shot I could bump it to the exact yardage, if not just hold high as needed.
Worked great.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/23/16
Okay, I have been digging into this sight issue and have finally found a guy that will talk with common sense and experience!

The Fella at Trophy Taker is the first and only guy that clearly gets the need for a single fixed pin and an adjustable pin. He was on board almost instantly which for the first time made me think there is hope that we can get the proper sight in out hands some day!

In the interim, they make a very interesting sight that has two sight windows that hinge and allow a set of three fixed, or swing out of the way and get one adjustable. When I was speaking with him he told me it would be easy to remove two of the three pins and leave the windows both closed to have the exact setup we are looking for. One fixed at 20 and the other adjustable to whatever you can get with your bow setup

They can also set up the sight for two different size pins. It's still a bit more complicated then we need with the folding window setup, but the option exists and the company does really get the theory of operation! I'm guessing that this will eventually be something they offer with a simple less expensive to manufacture sight ring housing.

I may get one to fool with here, I'll run it through the paces and let you know what I think.
Posted By: alukban Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/23/16
Cool!

I want one!
Posted By: jimy Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/23/16
I don't have time to post a picture right now, I have a meeting in 30 minutes, but I build a sight that sounds exactly like what some of you want , I will post pictures when I get back, or anyone interested send me a PM with an email address and I will be in touch.
Posted By: alukban Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/23/16
I'm interested!

Post pics right here! smile
Not a good picture, but the sight frame is 6061 aluminum and all the hardware is 300 series stainless steel, the sight can be used left or right handed and is very durable, it comes with two pins, one green one orange both TruGlo.

[Linked Image]
I have them in camo also.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/23/16
So it's a two pin sight but neither are sliders?

Just sighted in for two specific distances?
Posted By: jimy Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/24/16
I take the orange pin out and just use the single green pin centered in the scope, and no it does not slide it is fixed.
Posted By: centershot Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/24/16
Looked at that TT sight last night - lots of parts and a price tag of $350.

I did see exactly what we have been talking about it is an IQ Pro Hunter. It has 2 fixed pins (could remove one easily) and a mover. Pretty neat rig, quality build but priced way out of line at $250 IQ's big thing is the retina lock (alignment/torque gimmick), don't know how much of that price tag is for that deal.
http://iqbowsights.com/iq-pro-hunter/
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/24/16
Great find on this sight!

Just got off the phone with them.

The pins only come in .19 for now, but they are making .10 pins now. Just a thought for the slider.

one pin is easily removed to use it as we have been discussing with the two pin arrangement. The slider will dial up to touching the fixed pin so one set to 20 and the slider set to 22 would actually be possible.

The sight will take a battery light ( critical for me)

The retina lock is not new technology, it was first on the market as the " No Peep" used on the riser instead of having a peepsight. I used one of them for many years and it was a great invention. The problem was setup. Setting up the no peep was a brutal nightmare of slotted frame and screws to tighten up. Nothing marked to know how much you were moving it. However if you had the patience to set it up, it was a flawless replacement for a string peep.

With this new design in the ring of the sight, it can be dial adjusted with precision. I know this works, as I used the neanderthal version of the no peep before and this is a much better process to achieve the same idea. I wonder if they bought this from no-peep?

Regardless of this feature, this company does make the sight that we are talking about. One pin at 20 and one that can be set as needed. I was also wondering about that third pin. Maybe it should be set at the bottom for the furthest distance you would shoot. It's then on hand in the event of a broken pin in the field? Set down at the bottom it's out of the way too.

Posted By: hookeye Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/24/16
I shot fine for years without using a level, putting my pin guard in my peep, or having any retina lock.

HHA with a swapped out front end (to get horizontal pin).....had me good to 60 yards.

Maybe the newer stuff/gimmicks do work past that.

Just because I can shoot a fixed blade head well to that distance, doesn't mean I shoot my deer that far.

Longest I took with that Hoyt was 45 yards. Nailed it.

I'd be happy to shoot all my deer at 20.

Do like shooting long D, shows you where you need to work.

Posted By: alukban Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/24/16
Originally Posted by centershot
Looked at that TT sight last night - lots of parts and a price tag of $350.

I did see exactly what we have been talking about it is an IQ Pro Hunter. It has 2 fixed pins (could remove one easily) and a mover. Pretty neat rig, quality build but priced way out of line at $250 IQ's big thing is the retina lock (alignment/torque gimmick), don't know how much of that price tag is for that deal.
http://iqbowsights.com/iq-pro-hunter/

This one is $134 on amazon. What am I missing? Is it an old model that doesn't take rheostat light or something?

http://www.amazon.com/Bowsights-3-P...-2-fkmr1&keywords=IQ+Pro+3-Pin+sight
Posted By: alukban Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/24/16
Never mind... it looks like this one does not have a movable pon.
Posted By: centershot Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/25/16
You are correct - that is not the same sight.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/25/16
That IQ does appear to be the best bang for the buck today. However there will be another option this fall. (Well very likely this fall.)

The single fixed pin at 20-25 yards and then an adjustable dial actuated pin from there down to your bows potential.

The limiting factor will be how low it can be adjusted before hitting your fletching.
Posted By: alukban Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/25/16
Once the IQ bow sight is set up, can you use it without a peep?

Posted By: JJHACK Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/25/16
I shot the "no peep" without a string peep for a lot of years, this is identical to that.

Have to google "no peep" to see if it's still made
Posted By: alukban Re: Single Pin Sights - 02/25/16
Thanks Jim.

That would be a neat thing to have set up on a take-down or emergency bow for travelling. You can have spare strings and everything with out having to pre-set the peep location - just keep your riser set up with the IQ sight! smile

I still have one of "Perry's No Peep" sights.

I think he will still sell you one if you contact him directly.
Posted By: USMCSS Re: Single Pin Sights - 01/12/17
Hhh
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Single Pin Sights - 01/17/17
www.swordsights.com
Built like a tank. Super bright pin. No better single pin on the market IMO. In the realm of single pin sights, the judge is king
© 24hourcampfire