Home
Posted By: cotis Minimum weight for my arrows? - 08/28/15
I am concerned about the current weight of my arrows. I have killed several deer in the last few years with them (thunderhead fixed broadheads) but had less than stellar results last year when I tried some NAP killzones. I lost one deer and the one I did kill at 18 yards barely had the arrow penetrate the offside on a perfectly broadside shot. It ran 50 yards with the arrow sticking out both sides before breaking it in 3 pieces then dying.

I am shooting a 9 year old 30" ATA Diamond bow set around 65lbs with a 27.5" draw length. Arrows are Beman ICS Hunters with Blazer vanes, Nockturnal lighted nocks, and 100 grain broadheads, either thunderheads or killzones.

I am traveling right now so I can't weight the arrows but I believe the last time I calculated it came out to just below the 5 grains per pound standard, something like 4.9. I also cranked up the draw weight last month to the max of the bow. Theoretically it should be 70lbs but I think it measures out around 67lbs.

Bottom line question, are the arrows too light?
Heavier is always better on the meat end. There is no disputing it.
#1. If your 70# bow will only make 67#, it's time to restring/tune. Your strings have stretched.

#2...a 350 spine arrow cut even with the front of your riser should provide enough weight to do the job. However I strongly reccomend sticking with a fixed blade head. Slick Trick 100 grn magnum have never not worked. And they produce 2 holes. You can increase penetration also by going to a heavier head thus increasing foc. Light arrows from moderate speed bows running large cut mech heads is always a recipe for disaster
Thanks for the info so far guys. 280, I had it re-strung 2-3 years ago but it's probably time again. Honestly, I don't want to keep throwing money at this old bow. I've watched what you do with tuning for the past year or two and when I get a new bow it will definitely be coming to you (or if I am in LA on business I will come in person). Being a lefty the archery world has always been limited to me.
Well, why didn't you say you wanted us to talk you into buying a new bow? laugh
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
A LH 65# Obsession Phoenix, Evolution, or Fusion 6 or 7 will serve you well.
© 24hourcampfire