Home
Posted By: gitem_12 I was reminded tonight - 10/03/15
Why I bow hunt. This afternoon was a chilly 47 degrees with a NnE wind and a light steady rain. I sat in a treestand and for three hours I watched a mother and three fawns frolicking in and around the oak grove I was in, munching on acorns and an occasional apple. Then running back across the grove

I have apple trail cam set up in the area with 2400 pictures in 2 weeks. Many of those photos are of this little group

Momma is an old mature doe...she may get killed later, but today she anpplennd her fawns were good company
Posted By: MOGC Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/04/15
Saturday evening found me on a long hardwood ridge in the national forest. It was heavy cloudy, about 50* with a little mist in the air and a strong 15+ mph northern wind. I was about 3/4 mile from the truck. After watching squirrels all evening I finally had a big headed old doe and a yearling walk right directly to my tree. They stood directly under me for a bit then fed on acorns until dark. I finally had to spook them in order to jack knife the climber down the tree. I hated to ruin it but the minutes having them within a few feet of my tree and directly underneath me was cool. It was a nice brisk hike out by the beam of my headlamp. Good times...
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/04/15
Yep, I spent time watching a three pack of wood ducks horsing around on the little pond in that oak grove and squirrels chasing each other, couldn't think of a better way to pass time. For around few hours, all was right in the world

When I no longer get that feeling, it's time to quit hunting
Posted By: ltppowell Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/04/15
I didn't see nuffin...but it was still good. I spent most of my time putting my daughter and her fiancé in stands and entertaining. 50* here too!
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/05/15
Early sat. Was a steady down oour, as much as I hated missing opening day, just for the fact that it was opening day, I wasn't thrilled about sitting in about treestand in Ina downoour, we have a local fall festival called the apple and cheese festival. Lots of small craft vendors, local cheese makers, vineyards...that sort of thing. I took the fiancé there and we walked apple round that for an hour or so
Posted By: ltppowell Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/05/15
We won't see any rutting activity for a couple of weeks. I try not to get too anxious early in the season. It's a good time to make sure everything is in order and get back in the grind though...find all my stuff, make sure stands are safe and do things like ride 9 miles on an utv before daylight to realize I forgot my quiver and arrows. blush
Yea our rut won't start until late oct, but. I've seen some big bucks early, that's why I hunt waterhole early...and I have no qualms about killing does early
We will very rarely see a deer during the daytime until they enter fall mode.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/05/15
It was pouring down rain here for 5 days and just couldn't bring myself to get out there and bare the elements. I went out last week for the first time and didn't see much. It's a little hard because of the leaves. So this weekend I was going to get out there, but too much rain, plus I had to work Saturday morning. We've got a long season, so no sense in rushing it this early.
Posted By: rost495 Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/05/15
Originally Posted by ltppowell
We won't see any rutting activity for a couple of weeks. I try not to get too anxious early in the season. It's a good time to make sure everything is in order and get back in the grind though...find all my stuff, make sure stands are safe and do things like ride 9 miles on an utv before daylight to realize I forgot my quiver and arrows. blush

Bucks are running, grunting, rubbing and acting stupid here already and its about a week before normal for us....

Generally won't see any of that until the 15th of October.

Might be a hint there.
Here, on the coastal prairie, the rut peaked almost a month ago. 50 miles north, where I hunt, that won't happen until mid November. Weird how that works. Here are the results of a lengthy TP&W study of when does conceive in Texas. Your observations are right on time.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/planning/rut_whitetailed_deer/table/#coast
Posted By: bea175 Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/05/15
I watched the ball games Sat the first day because rain was coming down in buckets. I will hunt this afternoon. The field 20 yards from the kitchen window at my Virginia home had 5 bucks and 5 doe's feeding in it from 3.30 until dark yesterday. Weather is clearing up today. Will get in stand sometime this afternoon.
Posted By: MOGC Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/05/15
I was surprised to see a half dozen scrapes along the ridge I hunted Saturday. We got some cold rain and dropping temps for about four days and I guess it got this buck feeling sporty. He hit some 5" cedar trees and scratched them up pretty good so it looks like a good 'un is running around there. It's early for that activity in my neck of the Ozarks.
Spent a couple hours in a new stand tonight, 9 doe and two small bucks, watched those two numbs lulls for 20 minutes, "nuzzling" each other
Posted By: saddlering Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/05/15
I shot a nice lone doe that came in this evening, used the Excailber Xbow with the slick trick Xbow heads, took the top of the heart off! a very heavy blood trail. got in with her before dark! feels good to have one hanging!
Posted By: MOGC Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/05/15
Congrats on the backstraps!!! I'll shoot a big old doe also given a good opportunity.
Congrats, one of the doe I saw tonight was an Old girl, but she had a spotted little one with her, that puts her off limits for now
Posted By: saddlering Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/06/15
Thanks Iv pasted up a couple of does that had fawns this season, all ready. no sign of the rut here yet! not seen a buck in the woods yet. but have a long season.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/06/15
The two young bucks I saw last night, we're literally nuzzling each others necks
Posted By: MOGC Re: I was reminded tonight - 10/06/15
I saw a post last night on a Missouri specific hunting site with a picture of two locked horn bucks, one dead and one nearly dead. The bucks were found exhausted over the weekend by a landowner. Something is definitely going on here - and early.
© 24hourcampfire