Home
Posted By: jcolby traditional bobcat - 11/24/15
This is my 1st bobcat ever. Pretty exciting stuff, beautiful animal. Shot her with a 57# Bob Lee recurve. Now the question is, do I stuff her or turn her into a rug?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JJHACK Re: traditional bobcat - 11/24/15
Killing a predator with the skill of a cat is a career achievement with a bow.

You might not ever harvest a more challenging trophy. Great skill and a true hunter

Most guys don't have the real hunting skills and rely on long shooting for their game. That's the difference between a hunter (you) and a shooter (the growing majority of archers)

You really need to be very proud of this and fully abdorb the accomplishment!
Posted By: jcolby Re: traditional bobcat - 11/24/15
Thank you for the huge compliments. I feel like this is a once in a lifetime event as well. To get within 30 yards of a bobcat again will be a stretch. I was lucky that this one happened to came right by my path and I was able to get a lucky shot off, I will probably not be this lucky again.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: traditional bobcat - 11/24/15
Congrats I'd full body mount it
Posted By: rost495 Re: traditional bobcat - 11/24/15
Nice! You gotta know what looks best to you.

For me, the only thing I can't stand is a sitting down bobcat. Reminds me of a housecat every time i Had to mount one that way.

I really like lifesize laying on a limb personally.

I don't like full body with open mouth unless the mount and habitat reflect that, like after a quail or such...
Posted By: John_Havard Re: traditional bobcat - 11/24/15
For what it's worth I think a fully backed rug looks very nice. Congratulations on a fine trophy!

John
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: traditional bobcat - 11/24/15
I'd do a full body mount and never look back. Beautiful animal!
Posted By: setch Re: traditional bobcat - 11/27/15
Nice job...I cannot imagine, congrats to you
Posted By: setch Re: traditional bobcat - 11/27/15
Nice job...I cannot imagine, congrats to you
Posted By: Valsdad Re: traditional bobcat - 11/28/15
I'd vote for quiver if it's large enough, "possibles" bag or similar if too small for quiver. Personally, and it's just me, I see no use for a mount or rug that can't be used other than for looking at.

quite the deal for you, jcolby, congrats and I'm impressed and jealous.

Someday I hope to get a coyote with my longbow for a quiver.

Thanks for sharing your success with us mortals.

Geno
Posted By: jcolby Re: traditional bobcat - 11/28/15
valsdad--I have thought about a quiver as well, I think that would be really awesome. A week or two before I saw the bobcat, I had a coyote come in close enough for a shot. Missed right over his back, and it was an easier shot than the bobcat. Just how it goes I guess. I think a coyote quiver will be a goal of mine for this year.
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: traditional bobcat - 11/28/15
Great job! I never look at this forum, because I stopped bow hunting because I didn't have enough time to stay good with a recurve.

But when I saw this thread on the main page, had to take a peek!

Saw one on my property first time ever, but it was moving towards the swamp quickly and lip squeaking didn't stop him so I could take him w .300 Blackout. If I had he'd have been taken directly to the taxidermist.
Posted By: centershot Re: traditional bobcat - 12/04/15
That is awesome. I had one on a trail cam last fall but never saw it during hunting season. They make a beautiful rug.
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: traditional bobcat - 12/04/15
Full mount if you have a good fur bearer taxidermist otherwise a rug.

Congratulations on a great archery trophy.
Posted By: Glynn Re: traditional bobcat - 12/04/15
She's nicely spotted, would make a fine rug or wall display.
Posted By: CRS Re: traditional bobcat - 12/04/15
Congratulations!

Easily a full body mount.
I would do it one of two ways.
1. The position that is most memorable to you from the experience.
2. Raising up on it's hind legs going after a couple of flushing quail.

Before a rug, I would do a simple tanned hide hanging on the wall. I have always loved that simple display from fur bearers.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: traditional bobcat - 12/05/15
Jared,
good luck on getting a 'yote for a quiver. If you do get one, please post pics especially if you turn him into an arrow bag!

Geno
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: traditional bobcat - 12/05/15
Congratulations, that's a great trophy you should be very proud of.

I like the full body laying over a limb like Rost495 suggested, problem is, many "whitetail taxidermists" can't pull it off. Seen a few great mounts, but way too many where you think, "I'd have to whip that guy's azz if I took that bobcat and he did that to it!"

Also like just the tanned hide hanging in your man cave.

I've got a lot of opinions for a guy that's never been fortunate enough to take one, huh? Get whatever will make you remember the moment, and congrats again.

Posted By: Longhunter_1 Re: traditional bobcat - 12/05/15
Congratulations, that's a real accomplishment. Some years ago I squeaked this big coyote dog in by kissing on the back of my hand. Shot him with my 70# flatbow.

[Linked Image]

I had him made into a full mount. A bobcat rug really looks good or a full mount. Whatever your choice you won't regret it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: traditional bobcat - 12/10/15
Nice job. I'd have to get it mounted.
Posted By: cv540 Re: traditional bobcat - 12/10/15
Great trophy, I am envious. No thoughts on full mount or rug, do what you think your house will accommodate.
© 24hourcampfire