Home
Posted By: JJHACK Which Bow? - 03/14/16
I have two bows that are so good now that I struggle with which is first up and which is on deck.

I'm Leaving for a week of hog hunting this week and bringing both with me. Guess I'll decide each day when I leave to the field. I suppose this is a good problem to have. My back up and my primary are both so good they are equal to the task!

The primary choice of broadhead is also a difficult one, however they match the bow used. I use Slick Trick's Viper tricks with the 63lb Switchback while I use Rage Hypodermics with the 65lb Elite 32. Accuracy from me is identical with both bows.

Even though there is only 2 pounds of draw weight difference between the two bows, The Elite is a bit more then 25fps faster then the switchback, with the same arrows. You can easily feel the difference between the two in the draw cycle so I know that the Elite applies much more force to the arrows.

I'll get some Photo's posted if I end up sticking a few pigs over the next couple weeks.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Which Bow? - 03/14/16
grin I'm struggling with a sympathy moment for your "dilemma of choice"...there, it just passed. grin

Seriously, it's good to have that level of confidence in your bows, and the business end of the arrow. I generally take two bows if I can, you just never know when an "oops" is going to ruin a hunt.

My lean would be towards the Elite, same experience here, and comfortable to work and carry all day.

No flys on the Switchback either, as you know. I'd probably prefer the fixed blade on a pig, but I'd be a rookie swine hunter, no experience to back that up.

Good luck, post some pixs!

Posted By: MOGC Re: Which Bow? - 03/14/16
I'd take the Elite...
Posted By: centershot Re: Which Bow? - 03/14/16
Why I only keep one around.......seems like whatever is newest gets shot the most anyway - so I sell off the old stock.
Posted By: Huntingnut Re: Which Bow? - 03/14/16
Originally Posted by MOGC
I'd take the Elite...

Same here
Posted By: 4ager Re: Which Bow? - 03/14/16
Knowing you, and knowing how you shoot: either.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Which Bow? - 03/15/16
That SBXT/ Viper Trick combo punched a hole in a quarter from 25 yds. Aint no pig tougher than actual metal. Take the SBXT
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Which Bow? - 03/15/16
Yeah that's right! You remember!
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Which Bow? - 03/16/16
Still have the pic you sent me
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Which Bow? - 03/16/16
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
That SBXT/ Viper Trick combo punched a hole in a quarter from 25 yds. Aint no pig tougher than actual metal. Take the SBXT
Hillary is
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Which Bow? - 03/22/16
Stuck the first pig last night. Used the switchback and a viper trick. 26 yards he ran about 80 and layed dead.

Just a small meat sized pig. Have not seen any big ones, but plenty of 50-75 pounders. My friend ( ranch owner) said they never see any over 200 lbs but lots under 100. The biggest they have seen killed are 150-180 pounds.

Oh, one other interesting observation. Pigs will definitely drop and launch at the shot just like a whitetail. This " jumping the string or ducking the shot is not exclusive to deer!

This pig a shot dropped 4" or more causing a higher then intended hit. Never had a pig so wired up it reacted that fast before.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Which Bow? - 03/28/16
Ended up with 4, none big all 120 lbs or less. Shot 3 with viper tricks one with a hypodermic.

All with the switchback. All but one viper shot clean through and exited. That single viper trick stuck in the scapula on the exit side.

The furthest pig ran 100 yards, all others were dead at 30-60 yards. The hypodermic pig went 30 yards and had a fountain of blood shooting out as he ran.
© 24hourcampfire