Home
Posted By: JJHACK Fletching jigs - 04/07/16
I've been using the standard Bohning fletching jigs for about 25 years or maybe longer? I've fletched an amazing amount of arrows during that time. I was never really happy with the way it worked, but it was more or less the industry standard tool.

Today on an whim, I bought an Arizona Easy fletch tool. WOW

I'll never use this old one fletch at a time clamp system EVER again! I wonder how many hours of my life I've lost fighting with the Bohning system when I could have been using this Arizona clamp design?

If you have ever considered fletching your own arrows, it's a simple effortless process with the Arizona EZ fletch product. A few suggestions though, keep your fletching glue in the fridge when your not using it. I have found that over time the drying process or the speed that the cement sets up gets longer and longer after it's opened unless it's kept refrigerated.

The next thing, get a bottle of acetone. You should use this to wipe down the jig after each set of fletchings. It will dissolve the cement and prevent any buildup. Plus it will stop the fletchings from sticking to the jig too. Just use it on a Qtip or cotton ball.

Another thought for brand new un-fletched arrows, use some fine 600 grit sand paper to rub the shaft a bit where the fletching will go, and then wipe it of with denatured alcohol. This will get the glue to adhere better.

Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: Fletching jigs - 04/08/16

The sand paper pre-treatment is great, for aluminum shafts, not carbon. Don't do this to carbon, you actually weaken the shaft, carbon has enough texture to have the fletch grab it anyway.

I've used the Jo-Jan for years without issue, one fletch at a time, but 6 arrows at a time!
Posted By: dale06 Re: Fletching jigs - 04/08/16
I have used a Bitzenberger jig since the early 80s. It works great.
The past few years I have gone to wrapping my arrows with a bright colored wrap. That in my view makes fletching and re fletching easier.
By the way, if you want reasonable priced wraps, go to onestringer.com.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Fletching jigs - 04/08/16
Bitz for me as well. I do have a couple Arizona minis and a bohning Helix. But prefer the Bitz
Posted By: kendibs Re: Fletching jigs - 04/09/16

I've been using the EZ Fletcher for near 20 yrs now.

-Ken
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Fletching jigs - 04/09/16
Bob,
I would not use a belt sander, but most need a slight roughing of the surface.

Gold tip XT may not they have pure raw shafts. But bemeen hunters have some type of coating that makes the adhesion less then perfect.

Speaking only for myself with my personal fletching experience the fine 600 grit lightly covering the surface of the shaft has been an improvement to my fletching work.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Fletching jigs - 04/09/16
I have used the Bilz for years and will stick with them. As of Lately I have been using the Quick Spin Shink on that you use boiling Water to install and they work great.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Fletching jigs - 04/10/16
Do my stuff at home on a Jo Jan (have since '85).
Shop I shot for and another I worked at, both have Bitz.
Nice stuff. Big rotating wheel of many jigs, all dialed to be the same (PITA but great when finished)..........was awesome when using slow to cure adhesives.

Now with super glue a single fletcher is downright speedy.
Posted By: BobWills Re: Fletching jigs - 04/20/16
There is the Bitzenberger and then there is everything else. It has always worked; it ain't broke; and I ain't going to fix it.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Fletching jigs - 04/20/16
I have been using the Arizonas for a while now. They are great for sticking in a hunting kit with a small tube of cement and a few feathers (vanes for the training wheel users grin )

Using the Carbon arrow version to fletch kids Easton aluminum arrows is a breeze, too.

Ed
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Fletching jigs - 04/20/16
Originally Posted by BobWills
There is the Bitzenberger and then there is everything else. It has always worked; it ain't broke; and I ain't going to fix it.

The Firenock jig and the LCA Vanemaster are definitely steps up from the bitz and on my want list. But for the vast majority the bitz is tops
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Fletching jigs - 04/21/16
Jo Jan's since the 80's. I'm usually not in a hurry.
Posted By: tlfw Re: Fletching jigs - 04/29/16
I use the Arizona Mini for all my fetchings on my arrows.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Fletching jigs - 05/08/16
I have an Arizona -still in the wrapper since I bought a pack of Starflight FOB's -just saying .
Posted By: Hugh Re: Fletching jigs - 06/24/16
I have bee using Hoyt Tri-Heli fletch since the 80s .Was given to me by Earl Hoyt .
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Fletching jigs - 06/24/16
Do you have any pics of the Hoyt fletcher? Never knew such a thing exists. Be interested in seeing it if thats ok
Posted By: Hugh Re: Fletching jigs - 07/12/16
ill send a pic to rock chucker have him put it on .
Posted By: rockchucker Re: Fletching jigs - 07/13/16
[Linked Image]
Posted By: LostArra Re: Fletching jigs - 07/13/16
I'm a wimp. I use fletch tape with a Bitz.

I have found my unused tape remains good longer than my unused glue.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Fletching jigs - 07/13/16
Originally Posted by rockchucker
[Linked Image]

I know where 3 of these are still in use fletching feathers only.
Posted By: Hugh Re: Fletching jigs - 07/15/16
I have 1 left .gave other to a friend years ago. they work great with both kinds of fletching even Blazers.

Posted By: RJL53 Re: Fletching jigs - 07/16/16
Jo-Jan has never let me down in 25 years. What has been the biggest problem is finding a good fletching glue. I have Gold Tips and have not had good luck with AAE gel or a couple other super glues on the market. Fletchtite Platinum has sucked since they started selling it. Never had any complaints with the original Fletchtite wish they would bring it back. Is there anything new out there that actually works?
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Fletching jigs - 07/17/16
Originally Posted by RJL53
Jo-Jan has never let me down in 25 years. What has been the biggest problem is finding a good fletching glue. I have Gold Tips and have not had good luck with AAE gel or a couple other super glues on the market. Fletchtite Platinum has sucked since they started selling it. Never had any complaints with the original Fletchtite wish they would bring it back. Is there anything new out there that actually works?
I switched to Loc-Tite Gel Control. Love the stuff just make sure you follow shaft manufacturers recommendations for shaft prep.

My Bemans get a scrubbing w hot water and Ajax opr Comet then glue up. Damn stuff flat out works and better than any of the "Fletching" glues I have tried.

FYI, when you think the little bottle is empty start taking it apart and get the little tube of glue out, still a lot left in the tube, bet you can get another 10-12 arrows fletched from it.
© 24hourcampfire