Home
Posted By: dvdegeorge Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/17/16
The time is near to start thinking about putting the boat away and shift from fishing to hunting.
I put my cameras out the day after labor day.
We are in a drought here since late winter and it's taking its ttoll on the mast crop and apples.My areas don't even have a single apple on the trees this year.I will roll with the changes and figure out whats what as things move on.My spots are my spots to hunt and what deer are there are the deer I'll be hunting.Always manage to find a good one worth hunting on one or more of the properties,whether I kill him is irrelevant and another story.
New bow in hand this year Mathews Halon 7 and looking forward to popping its cherry. Season opens Oct 1st but I'll be holding back till mid oct before I start the full court press...
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/17/16
Good luck this year Dan, I always look forward to this yearly season long account.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/19/16
Checked a couple camera cards,lots of doe and some small buck but this one may have some potential,not the best picture as it was at edge of camera range in dark

[Linked Image]
Not a shooter but good picture I have a bunch of him

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GregW Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/19/16
Good luck this year Dan....
I always enjoy this thread. Good luck, defending your "Dinkathon" title this year ! Bob
That first one looks to have some decent meat on the hoof and a nice rack.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/19/16
Maybe the piebald will have a good rack this year!
Originally Posted by saddlering
Maybe the piebald will have a good rack this year!
hope he shows up again this year he should be nice
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/19/16
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Checked a couple camera cards,lots of doe and some small buck but this one may have some potential,not the best picture as it was at edge of camera range in dark

[Linked Image]

If that deer's out of velvet, he's a good one.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/20/16
He's out that was 9/12
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/20/16
Well, I expect to see a closeup with him on the ground then.
I'm hoping some more good ones show up on my cameras,it's early yet for the spots I have my cameras set up
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/20/16
I really shoulda put a camera or 2 up......
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/20/16
So far all iv got on the Cams is a spike and a narrow 6 point!

[Linked Image]

Dan, I look forward to this thread, it's fun to read. Good luck to you this year.

What's with the big spot in front of his shoulder? It almost looks like a wound from a car strike or something.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
What's with the big spot in front of his shoulder? It almost looks like a wound from a car strike or something.

Just a splash of sunlight peeking through the trees. Look at his ear and neck.
yes just light

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/22/16
I'm going to try a crossbow contraption this year. We'll see how it works smile
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/26/16
A few more trail cam pics....don't know if its the time of day or Browning cameras are gonna end up on my do not like list...pics are grainy but it is just after 1st light so I enhanced them

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/27/16
Wow got to love that buck! All Iv got so far was 2 small 6pts a Big 4 point thats breeding and droping fawns like daddy with NO brow times! Cant take him out of the heard because of the 3pt or better per side rule!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 09/30/16
Opening day tomorrow but I'm holding back a couple weeks before I deem it opening day for me....
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/01/16
Opening morning and I am sitting on couch drinking gourmet style coffee. What have I become?
Posted By: RandyR Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/01/16
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Opening morning and I am sitting on couch drinking gourmet style coffee. What have I become?

You and me both, kind of hard to get up after watching the baby all night but tonight I am going after a good one I am watching. I hear we have one even bigger out there but I've yet to see him as I think he travels a pretty big loop.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/01/16
Watch Michigan vs. Wisconsin, hunt tomorrow.....
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/01/16
It's not hard it's smart IMO
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/02/16

Gonna be 85 degrees here today, still too warm! mad

I'm drinking coffee too and bitching on the 'Fire.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/02/16
LMAO. Me too.

It will be a high of about 73 tomorrow. I may meet a bud and hunt tomorrow evening. I don't like warm weather hunting one bit though.

6-7 Years ago, it was abnormally warm on opening day also. My buddy Dave talked me into going out. I walked a ways, started sweating, headed straight back to the truck. Drank my beers we had icing down for after the hunt. Then proceeded to drink Dave's also. He stayed out, and saw nothing. He wasn't really happy, but party store wasn't far away and I bought more. Told him he shoulda known what would happen. He said he kinda had it figured grin
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/02/16
LOL, and agreed, gotdang skeeters and horeflies peeve me smooth off trying to stay still and hunt. mad

I figure the animals here are still mostly moving on both ends of darkness.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/02/16
What is your deer limit, Dan?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/03/16
Buck with either bow or muzzle loader
Buck with gun
so total of 2 buck
Doe I can take 6 or 8 depending if I go get more tags
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/04/16
More cam pictures

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2nd buck....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3rd buck...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/04/16
Nice Dan.

I went out last night. Saw 10. Probably woulda saw more if things weren't so thick still. Things are not going to cool off here until the weekend now. I am in no hurry. I don't see many big bucks during shooting hours until the weather cools off.....
Posted By: rost495 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/05/16

Maybe a smarter hunter?

Last fall I sat out the hunt until the friday of last weekend, things were right, weather right, wind right, the buck was around from what we had seen out of the kitchen window..

Went and sat down in the rain and 15 minutes later walked back to the house....
Posted By: kendibs Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/07/16

Good luck Dan.

We took an older buck & doe on the opener for some fresh steaks. Passed on a bunch of does the next couple of days and 2 smaller guys.

Been too warm. Maybe get back in on Tuesday, supposed to be a bit cooler.

-Ken
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/07/16
I'm still waiting...I'll know when the time is right for a full court press
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/07/16
Going to cool down tomorrow. Highs around 60 with lows of around 42.

Game on....
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/07/16
For those who put cameras out, How high off the ground do you set them ? Do you usually put them out around a food source?

I put two out for the first time this year. I put one out by the corn feeder and one by a mineral lick. I sat then about 4ft off the ground about 25-30ft from the food source. I was thinking about putting one over by a bunch of persimmon trees.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/07/16
I try to put them about 2 1/2 ft. off the ground, and 8-10Ft. from the food or trail! Cold front comeing in right now, highs in the low 50s more like fall I shot a big doe last sunday evening, we havent seen a deer all weekend had some buddie kids up hunting so fig they would at least track one, took her to Ebels, made into burger but for the T loins, old doe!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/08/16
set them crouch height
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/10/16
Went out this afternoon for 1st time,it's still too early but was crisp and cool and I had a good wind
Saw 3 doe(mom and 2 fawn) 4 turkey two of which were good toms and a nice 2 1/2 yr old 7 pt that I could have smashed,he cam right through my wheel house
He walked past one of my cameras on the way past me,here is a picture of him

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kendibs Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/11/16

Think I'll go sit this afternoon and tomorrow. Gonna be a bit cooler.

-Ken

Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/11/16
Shot another large Doe this morining, 10 yrds on the ground, no blind. Also found my 1st Scrape this afternoon!
Posted By: tzone Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/13/16

LMAO
What do you think of that camera Dan? After seeing your pic's I may be glad I didn't pull the trigger on one yet. I have a 3 Wildgame, a Primos 46 which is on it's way out and now a Primos 2. I just put that up on Sunday so we'll see this week what comes of it.
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
For those who put cameras out, How high off the ground do you set them ? Do you usually put them out around a food source?

I put two out for the first time this year. I put one out by the corn feeder and one by a mineral lick. I sat then about 4ft off the ground about 25-30ft from the food source. I was thinking about putting one over by a bunch of persimmon trees.

I put them about 30" to 3'off the ground. 25' is petty close imo but some I have that close. I have some over where trails cris-cross, one at a mineral lick, one at a scrape.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/13/16
High of 57 today and cloudy. Wind is right. I gotta get my $hit together and get out there. Time to make the donuts.

I guess my current mess may have to wait. I swear everytime I rebuild something, I take something else apart. I have........issues.....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/13/16
Originally Posted by tzone
What do you think of that camera Dan? After seeing your pic's I may be glad I didn't pull the trigger on one yet. I have a 3 Wildgame, a Primos 46 which is on it's way out and now a Primos 2. I just put that up on Sunday so we'll see this week what comes of it.
Jury is still out the one is working but some pictures when day/night mode are charging are a bit weak but just on that one camera the other 2 Brownings are working fine,It maybe the lighting where I have it set not sure. So jury is still out I know one thing for sure Reconyx is head and shoulders above everything else.

The picture of the deer I passed was quite far from the camera as it passed so it is a zoomed in picture hence the quality of that photo

The night photo's I think are pretty darn good for a no flash and the day photos range from passable to very good so for the $ as long as they keep working I'm good with Browning to this point
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/13/16
Moved a popup blind two weeks ago, gonna go back Sat & see what is going on with it. Realistically my last chance to hunt bow season. Next couple of weeks I'll be dialing long range rifles, for Aoudad... smile
Well that's good. That transition light does mess with those cameras as far as I have seen. No matter the brand.

I can't afford to put a reconx in the woods on public land. eek
I think I am going to put an older Bushnell up today.......
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/13/16
Some pictures I just retrieved from my Reconyx(you get what you pay for)...still no shooter showing up on this property but rumors of a 150"-160" 10 pt running the block I hunt...I'll believe it when I have a picture or see it but it lends to hope

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Yeah, those are great.
Yep
Just hung that old $100 Bushnell about 10 yards from tree I am in now. Hope I fot it right, the directions taped on inside are so small you need the Hubbell telescope to read them.....
Just hung that old $100 Bushnell about 10 yards from tree I am in now. Hope I got it right, the directions taped on inside are so small you need the Hubble telescope to read them.....
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/14/16
Saw 6 bucks last night including one very nice 8 pt. Gonna get back out there this afternoon...,
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/14/16
1 doe and 7 turkey tonight thats all

some pictures from cameras

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Buck I passed Monday

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/14/16
Fur and feathers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/15/16
Sweet!
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/15/16
Nothing but squirrels so far today. Full moon, clear skies. Light breeze, and getting warm. Could be a lovely afternoon for a nap, if I don't catch myself.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/15/16
A button buck, spike and two does last night. Then chased a bunch out of the neighbor's bean field on way in.

Getting ready to go back out around 4 ish,

Bud took an ok 7pt. last night at a different place we hunt....
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/15/16
Yep thats why I didn't hunt today
End of this coming week I'll go at it hard
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/15/16
Not warm here yet, but it is coming. Today looks like last
t good day for 6-7 days before temps go back up and/or rain.....
Had a hen turkey land 25 yard away. She was easily within range, and had a clear shot - but she was in a tree and I didn't feel like sending an arrow off into the wild blue yonder because there wasn't anything behind her for a long, long ways.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/15/16
Wet Up here, got the doe in the freezer today, and did get a pic of a pretty good 8pt on cam, got 2 buddies comeing up tommorow, for few days, but looking warmer and wet! Mail carrier saw a large buck chaseing a doe this morining!
Posted By: tzone Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/15/16
I saw a large bodied, tall and wide racked 8pt with a doe last night right by the house. Biggest buck I've seen around here in quite some time.
Saw 9 tonight. 4 does, 2 yearlings, 2 buttons, and a 1.5 year old six. No shooters, and no shots on the does.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/16/16
Bright moon, tree frogs, and skeeters. Not typically what I think of as mid October bowhunting weather. Even the squirrels are being lazy.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/16/16
Hence my not hunting this weekend...too soon
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/16/16
Too warmish for me still. Looking like a cool down mid to late week.

Hopefully cool down for good just before Halloween then I will hit it hard for the 2 weeks before our rifle season.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/17/16
Saw a dozen this weekend. No shooter bucks, no shots on does. Gotten damned warm again and will be all week. Cold front to at least cool things off coming this weekend.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/17/16
Yup,hunt smart is what I try to do now
No sense getting burned out and stinking up my sets before the big guys are wandering
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/17/16
Still to early and warm...this guy showed up on a different property...Covert cameras suck hence my tag line but he looks like he has potential?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/17/16
I haven't been out at all this season, lots going on at work and at home plus this weather doesn't motivate me at all. Hell, we've got the a/c running now as it was a warm & humid day here.

Hopefully I'll get out Sunday for a crack. If not, no sweat. The good times are RIGHT around the corner.
Posted By: tzone Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/18/16
I'll see if I can dump my pics from the new Primos 2. The pics were really clear. I'm impressed so far. Time will tell before I make my mind up on it though.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/18/16
This is heartbreaking / I had these on my cameras on a regular basis until the 17th of Sept and then poof never to show up again...Can't for the life of me figure out where they are hiding
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/20/16
Cold front coming through today!
Posted By: RWE Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/20/16
Yeah, supposed to be a high of 62 Saturday. I got a big one chasing does along the bean field already.

I stopped by big box store last night to replace my recurve string.

Took the boys with the windfoil tested hairdo's some time to find it.

No price tag on the package.

They ran the UPC in their hand held, and it came back $0.02.

So I took both of the remaining...
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/20/16
Just got permission to hunt a new spot where a good buck has been spotted traveling through..I went there yesterday afternoon and by the time I Lone wolfed up a suitable tree I was soaked through and through with sweat to the point of shorting out one of my hearing aids...Never again, I will wait until the temps drop before attempting that again.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/21/16
Temps are dropping but heavy rain and then very windy this weekend so looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer
Posted By: kendibs Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/21/16

Might be some snow flurries on the hill Saturday. Think I'll head up on Sunday for a couple of days.

-Ken

I heard that Tug hill may get some flurries
Isn't the rut around the 1st week in November? Maybe time to get into your stand,Good luck Dan. I'm headed to Ohio to hunt with my brother in the shotgun season at Thanksgiving.
It maybe but I believe it will be a bit latter this year
I'll start hitting it hard this coming week
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/21/16
went out this evening, some light rain but cleared off mid 40s, had a button buck come by a few times, and some Black squirrels, my buddie didnt see any deer, but had a nice buck on caqm at 11:00 the night before, any buck pics we have got this week have all been after dark, go fig!
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/22/16
Friggin' wind.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/22/16
The [bleep] crows are walking past this morning. Not even they want to deal with this wind. Done for today.

Fourth weekend of the season: two so far with high winds, one with remnants of a hurricane, and one rather damned hot.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/22/16
Almost went this morning but rain and NW wind blowing 17 mph with higher wind forecast I took off my camo and walked back inside. Waited this long may as well wait for the right wind
Think I'll head out now and round up some camera cards
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/22/16
Heading out tomorrow. Supposed to be light SW winds so should be perfect for my chosen stand.

May do a bit of light rattling. A buck that went over 200" was killed yesterday not too far away. Looks like he has a bit of a swollen neck so I hope the pre-rut is kicking in. Should be good for the next 2-3 weeks.

http://batescountynewswire.blogspot.com/2016/10/the-deer-of-lifetime.html?m=1
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/22/16
I'm stoked now....the piebald I've watched and passed the previous 2 yrs is alive and looking good! No one has seen him since opening day if last yrs gun opening day.
Not the best pictures as he slipped out of the pines at 1:39 am and corner of frame but I can see the tell tale markings on his ass going down his hip
It's him!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last years pics

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/22/16
I'm stoked now....the piebald I've watched and passed the previous 2 yrs is alive and looking good! No one has seen him since opening day if last yrs gun opening day.
Not the best pictures as he slipped out of the pines at 1:39 am and corner of frame but I can see the tell tale markings on his ass going down his hip
It's him!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last years pics

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looking like he is a dandy 8 right now.
Nice!
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/23/16
Get'm, Dan!

Clear and cold here this morning. 37, moon overhead; Orion overhead. Still not happy about the wind, but less than yesterday. Could be a good one....
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/23/16
Good Luck on Mr Piebald! only saw a button buck this weekend, My buddies 14 year old son got a big Doe, his 1st on sat morining! the bucks just dont seem to be moveing much yet!
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/24/16
Dan I made a trip to camp to pull the water lines yesterday. thruway to 81N to exit 49 and back. 400mi round trip. I only saw 3 hit deer and only one was a little buck. They haven't even started chasing yet.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/24/16
Yup its still not quite time,I hunted yesterday afternoon
saw 3 a doe and her fawns so that confirms it ain't happening yet...
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/24/16
Saw two more small bucks and some does and yearlings. Nothing in range, and nothing shooter class anyway.

Damned nice day to be out, though.
neighbor shot me out these pictures today after I sent him a picture of the piebald...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/24/16
Damn, dude! How many buck tags do you have?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/24/16
WTF mi amigo? I've normally had three "I'm trailing one now." text by now. smile

Just kidding...everything is happening late this year.
yes it is Pat only been out 3 times more out of boredom
I'll start hitting it hard as weather permits wind NW and blowing hard not good for my spots
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/24/16
WOW! Good Hunting !
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/24/16
I understand. Hunting the wrong wind and hot weather doesn't do anything but booger up your stands. Same thing happening here. It won't be long though.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/25/16
This can't be good for him
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/25/16
That's an ass-whoopin! lol
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/26/16
Dan are you holding out for the pie or would you shoot another good buck if he came by?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/26/16
I'd love to get the Piebald "Sprinkles" but I'm not passing on this guy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/26/16
I wish you luck...so far the long island hunting has been slow, although last nite I did see a young buck start to chase a doe so maybe the rut is not far behind.
Still only hunted 3 days ...I've waiting and now the wind has been strong out of the NW for days on end
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/26/16
Ive been out at least 10 times...mostly afternoon sits...have seen 10 plus bucks but nothing to make my heart jump....still very early and the weather/winds and temps have not been kind to say the least.
Got out yesterday afternoon,saw 1 buck at 5:15 just caught a glimpse don't believe it was a shooter.
Kind of bummed the 10 pt from this property I had an early picture of busted a tine on his left side...good thing is gotta be something bigger that he was fighting with...also what are the odds of another mutant buck with a messed up right antler on a completely different property?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pointer Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/27/16
Are you hunting 3 mile island? wink
Posted By: rong Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/27/16
Chernoble County?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/27/16
Nope no toxic wastes or nukes
Hunted this afternoon,we had snow in the am that quickly turned to rain.
It finally stopped around 3 pm so figured they should be moving.
Hunted the piebald property as soon as I climbed in my stand there was 2 8 pt buck at the top of the ridge 10 and 20 yds from the new stand I hung 2 days ago( I'm saving that stand till the crap hits the fan)
I saw 3 more buck but no shooters could have shot a 6 pt and a goofy looking 7 pt. wind shifts back to W then NW so lm out of that spot till I get a wind with a south tilt(Saturday it looks good)

Here is the 7 pt I could of smoked
[Linked Image]
I'm jealous you have so many bucks and nice ones to choose from. Lucky man you are.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/28/16
We had 2" of snow 19 realfeel, that south wind comeing on sat. is bringing our temps here to 62 at day break! Oct. has been a crazy month! saw a 4pt. that morining and a doe. we are seeing alot of single does this fall, not a good thing!
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/28/16
We had 2" of snow 19 realfeel, that south wind comeing on sat. is bringing our temps here to 62 at day break! Oct. has been a crazy month! saw a 4pt. that morining and a doe. we are seeing alot of single does this fall, not a good thing!

35 here last Sunday morning; 85 here this Sunday. We've had 50 degree temp swings, high winds, heavy rains, the remnants of hurricanes, and basically everything BUT good hunting weather.

November is coming, though. Schit will die then.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/28/16
Sat this morning for a couple hour but not in my 2 prime spots as wind direction continues to plague me.
Saw a doe and fawn that's it
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/28/16
My buddy paid me a visit in the yard this morning.Gave him his daily dose of apple's and wheat bread. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/28/16
You know thats illegal in NY?
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/28/16
Like the safe act?I know him since he was a button.They eat most of our shrub's and gardens.I'm not going to give him an apple.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/28/16
Hunted east this afternoon...bucks are starting to get interested... had a decent 7 point at 15 yds follow couple min behind 2 does that flew by my stand as well as a better buck way off in the distance pestering a couple does...might give it another try in the am.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/29/16
Hunted yesterday afternoon saw one 6 pt
Had a rabbit come burning through the woods at warp speed I got ready and sure enough here comes a fox at full speed
I stopped him at 25 yds and stopped him again for good
He took the Slick Trick nap

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rost495 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/29/16
Love watching the fox in the woods. Thats sure a nice looking one. Will make a nice hide or mount I suspect.

We have a "black" one at the place in Alaska. Kinda cool watching him make his rounds.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/29/16
Love watching them too,obviously he don't.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/29/16
Foxes are a "no shoot" for me here, simply because they have a hard enough time with the coyotes, and of the two I'd take the foxes being around.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/29/16
Saw my first NYS black bear this morning. That was neat!!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/29/16
Oh yea look who showed up

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/29/16
My backyard pal last night.Gonna set correct time today. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: rost495 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/29/16
hell I'd take the 44 degrees without teh deer, that would keep me happy for some time!

Thats a nice buck from the looks of it.

95 here.

I"ve killed my best 2 bow bucks when it was right at 100... ugh, I just ain't hunting when its that hot anymore. I dont' care how big the deer gets(I think)
Posted By: rong Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/29/16
Finally got out for a few today,kind of a weird day here in Upstate.Even the squirrels weren't moving.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/29/16
Went out this morning...saw two small bucks and an ok 8 pt chasing this morning along with countless does but nothing worth getting excited about.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/29/16
I was out this afternoon till dark and Never even saw a Bird! Nothing moveing here!
Posted By: tzone Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/29/16
Time for a new spot.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/30/16
This was a New spot! but think im going to change it again! My other spot , I have 9 diffrent bucks comeing into , but only one good one the rest are 4, 3, and spikes, also 5 does! just cant seem to fine where the good bucks went this year .
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/30/16
Warm and dead still wind this morning no movement
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/30/16
Dan, I had not seen a buck as of Friday morning. Friday afternoon that all changed. I've seen 10 bucks in the last 3 days, all but 2 were harassing does. Get out there.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/31/16
afternoon hunt was much better,had chasing,grunting and saw 9 different buck
Only two I could have killed were a spike and 7 pt everything else was either out of range or flying by on a doe
Did see these two buck though

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/31/16
I was going to ask why you're awake at 3 am. But now I see why. grin
Fell asleep at 8:30pm last night so up early unfortunately(for hunting purposes)I had to be on job site this morning but getting work cleaned up now and I'll be back in that stand a little later.Wind shifts tomorrow and I finally get the South wind I need to hunt the piebald and monster 10 pt property its going to get warm here after today but I can't control the weather so I'm making the best of it.
Got to stand at 10:45am
12:05pm two doe come running 5 yds from me
Grunting follows and the goofy little buck with the drop tine coming out of his eye comes right past me
In for the duration nice to see it's not in vain
Saw 2 doe before dark that was a long day 8 hrs in stand
Camera showed bucks chasing doe at 7:30 am this morning
Posted By: GregW Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 10/31/16
Keep after it Dan...
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/01/16
Back at it this morning nice and cold this morning 33 degrees but then we warm up to near record high for today and tomorrow...mother nature isn't cooperating this fall
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/01/16
55 Here at 10:00 am going to 65 not good rut weather!
Wind was FUBAR swirling from every direction
I saw two fawns a 1/2 rack spike and 6 pt could have killed them all...nothing busted me but I left at 9:00am as I just wasn't feeling good with the wind
A spike horn and a doe being chased by a buck this afternoon buck wasn't a shooter but don't know how big it was as the area Im hunting is thicker than a 70's pornstar's bush
Posted By: rost495 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/01/16
Spikes. I hate them.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/02/16
Hot weather here 70 degrees saw 2 different 4 pt and a spike this morning.
Mr.big walked right past the stand I sat yesterday afternoon but 3 1/2 hours too late!
Unfortunately for me the wind shifts to NW and stays that way for the next week according to the weatherman which is blowing right to where the buck approached from ...so I won't be able to hunt him until I get some sort of a south wind...worst weather for archery season I can ever remember our prevailing wind here is normally SW

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/02/16
Forecast change SW wind Saturday morning,Monday and Tuesday so I have a punchers chance
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/03/16
Down pouring rain all morning and afternoon if it lets up I may try to slip out late afternoon but wind wont be right for my best two areas but may take a flyer on 3rd property that I don't have anything worth while on cameras ...rut may bring in a stranger
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/03/16
Stranger Danger!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/03/16
Had my first NYS black bear 40 yards behind me last Saturday morning. Too far and too much brush but a thrill nonetheless!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/03/16
Cool deal Larry...he'd have to be a real good stranger for me to trip the release but it beats sitting home...I checked my cameras on that property yesterday and only small buck and doe and not that many,also jumped a coyote even better tired
That's the property I shot the fox so maybe the yote is next
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/04/16
Saw 4 buck yesterday afternoon 2 spikes a 1/2 rack 6pt and a very nice 8pt buck 110-115ish that I passed on
At least my ticker got pumping for a couple seconds
This was the buck
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/04/16
Get'm Dan! Good luck this weekend.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/05/16
Unfortunately the wind direction continues to screw with me
Supposed to be SW but is straight out of the W
I'm running out of season and can't hunt where and the deer I want
I'll make due and go to another property I guess
I hunted yesterday 9 am till noon saw a 5pt and another 2 1/2 yr old 8pt
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/05/16
I was covered up with deer last night. Lots of chasing and grunting that kept me pinned in the stand much later than I wanted to be. This morning I've seen 1 dink just walking.

Of course that could all change in 10 seconds. Gotta love the pre-rut.
Posted By: rong Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/06/16
Yesterday,I saw more deer chasing while driving to my spot,once in the tree nothing,
Try again later today
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/06/16
Rong I'm right there with you. I could have 100 doe on my place but the one hot one will be a mile down the road with every buck tailing her. Beautiful morning here, but nothing moving so far.
Posted By: rong Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/06/16
It's only getting better,cold temps on the way also..
Good luck out there.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/06/16
Not a bad weekend. Had deer freakin' everywhere. Got a nice buck, saw other shooters and should have shot at least one more. PLENTY of does not in heat yet. Next weekend could be epic.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/06/16
Sorry I haven't kept up past two days short recap
Yesterday morning a couple doe and fawns and a nice 2 1/2 yr old 8 pt in the am.After I left the woods at 11am I retrieved my camera cards from the other property that I have not been able to hunt much because of the wind direction. Big 10pt was thru Friday at 6:30pm right in front of stand at last light,then passed thru again at 6:30am
Had pictures of 10 different buck from 6:30 am till 10:30 am
A very nice high 8 pt right by stand
I had a west wind so I hunted it yesterday afternoon,walked up on a half rack coming in then nothing until 6:15 a really nice 9pt slipped out 10 yds from my stand circled in front of me and to the other side of my stand.I decided to pass on him.
This morning NNE wind so that property was out
Hunted another property.Bumped a deer walking in,
Then shortly after light a coyote came thru to far to shoot.I tried to squeak it in but he never committed.
Then a single doe that I thought might be hot.Right after a middling 8pt can by at 60yds and a few minutes latter 2 unattended fawns.That was all for the morning and I decided to skip the afternoon as wind was wrong
The next 2 days I have the south wind I've been needing so I'm going to put some serious hours in while I can

Some pictures I retrieved yesterday

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/06/16
Dan's just "lookin' fo' luv in all da w'ong places..."
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/07/16
It's he morning I've been hoping for S wind 34 degrees
I get south wind today and tomorrow temps rise into 60's after this morning though
Here's hoping the big guy aint locked down with a doe
I'm out the door...I'll keep this fresh and current

That 10pt. is a super buck! I hope he makes an appearance for you.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/07/16
Good luck !!!
5 buck 4 doe 1 fawn
No monster yet
Largest was 2 1/2 yr big 7 pt
Deer cut thru pines couldn't tell what it was
4 pt just passed thru
Small 8 pt passed 50 yds
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/07/16
Got a good feeling about today, buddy. GET SOME!
5 pt passed thru pines
They are on the prowl today
Waiting on a bloody arrow pic, buddy.
Im out for a bit I'll be heading back in shortly
Cameras only had small buck and doe
Back in stand my set overlooking scrape that the big 10 has passed 3 separate times
65 degrees ugh
Do you use any scent lures or calls?
Hell, it's warmer where you are than here right now. crazy
6 pt just passed thru 10 yds
I am only using ever calm seems to be working keeping them relaxed
I had to take my jacket off just thin light weight elimitick shirt
Dying so warm
A bit of doe-in-heat lure might not be a bad touch.
If he's patrolling he will come right past me
When I come back to this thread tomorrow morning, I'll expect to see a picture of a dead 10 pt.
If he's patrolling he will come right past me

All those smaller bucks are cruising. There's a hot doe in the area. If he ain't already with her, he will come looking.
Posted By: lightning Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/07/16

[Linked Image]
Whats all the glare in the background?
Originally Posted by lightning

[Linked Image]
Whats all the glare in the background?

Probably a big ass lake.
After dark... hmmmmm....
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/07/16
Probably the entrance to the kiddie game farm.
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Probably the entrance to the kiddie game farm.
Go feed your pet deer
Had another buck slip behind me super thick couldn't tell for sure what it was but not a shooter
then saw a doe and thats all she wrote for today
10 buck not a bad day hopefully the quality shows up tomorrow
Keep at it.

Only suggestion is to stop worrying about perfect winds for you and concentrate on winds that are just less than perfect for him. Think about it. wink
Posted By: sqweeler Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/07/16
O.K. [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: rost495 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/07/16
always enjoy reading when I have time!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/08/16
Dead this morning maybe the deer went to vote
Deer cu thru think stuff below me could tell what it was
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/08/16
Same here Dan. Yesterday was also.
Full draw on a big shooter 8 pt
Had 2 small doe 19 yds from me
They started moving away he need to take a half step more before he turned I had a little brush in the way
Damn it sooo close
That buck was 12 yds still shaking my head
6 pt just came thru a minute ago
Posted By: GregW Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/08/16
Keep after him Dan!
This was the buck

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/08/16
This was the buck

[Linked Image]

Dink....

wink
Back in the saddle
Monster buck on neighboring property running doe they're in a field im 25' up and can see across the way he was massive
Of course he pushed um away from me
It's the piebald!
Shoot. Him.
2 more buck down there one is another shooter
So close and yet so far
Hot doe in the area. You back again tomorrow?
I reckon so
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/08/16
Get the PIEBALD!
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/08/16
PIEBALD! Do it.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/09/16
I'm running fumes this am
Up till we hours watching election results
It's raining and hard straight north wind so I'm at a different property
I know some may think I'm crazy but I've got a way of doing things and hunting a very wrong wind just ain't part of it
Tomorrow I get the right wind and I'll be back to hunt the piebald and other big guys
I'm not sitting in a bad spot today I killed 5 good buck from here including last yr
Regardless it's a great day in America
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/09/16
Thank God !!!! Good luck / stay dry and hunting the wind in my opinion is always smart...I'm always trying to get better at it.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/09/16
Dan, just don't fall out the damned tree today.
I'm good went to truck to dry out for 35 minutes
Rain has stopped
Saw 4 doe earlier
I'm out nothing else moving...need some rest
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/10/16
3 buck all small 5 doe 1 unidentifiable in thick stuff
1 coyote
Still in stand for a bit longer
Thinking big guys are locked up with doe
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/10/16
Probably. Haven't seen any real chasing in3 days. Not many dead ones on the highway either.
I'm out my buddy hit a 10 pt and can't find it I'm going to help him
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/10/16
They are still chasing big time here on Long Island...saw a slammer on Tuesday afternoon hot on the trail of a doe.... dead deer all over the highway and county roads.
Not happening here thinging lock down no road kills here either?
Buddy put a bad shot on the 10 pt shoulder muscle hit little penetration little blood followed for over 500 yds never bedded.Waited 3 hrs before looking
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/10/16
That deer will live. Smack your buddy upside the head and go kill that 10.
I did it was a chip shot 18 yds broadside in the wide opened
Posted By: GregW Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/10/16
Goodness. I don't even have a pin until 30 yards. Arrow still in him?

Keep after them Dan. I'll keep checking in...
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/11/16
25 mph with stronger gusts has me sidelined this am
I get some work done evaluate the wind for the afternoon but be back at it tomorrow for sure
As of today 1 week left of bow season
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/11/16
3 buck all small 5 doe 1 unidentifiable in thick stuff
1 coyote
Still in stand for a bit longer
Thinking big guys are locked up with doe

Must be.
I sat 12 hours yesterday and saw 6 bucks by 8:30 and a doe w fawn.
None of the bucks seemed to have much on their minds. Did witness 2 bucks in the 125" range square off but one of them did a snort wheeze and the other just backed off, first time to ever hear it in the wild.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/11/16
I think the rut is just getting started here, was sitting in a buddies Ladder stand yesterday had 5 does & fawns walk buy, 25 + winds but the deer were moveing, about 5:00 a nice 10pt came by, all I could see was Antlers in the thick brush, Tried to bleat at him to stop, it did he was 30 yrds quartering away, I droped him, spine, he pulled hiself into an open spot, Food Plot and I shot him in the neck, he was done the old Slick Tricks worked again! I cant post pics I did send one to 2muchgun, maybe he will post it for me!
Posted By: lightning Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/11/16
Good for you saddlering, Congratulations, looking forward to pics!
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/11/16
I can do that John. Gimme a few. Hunted hard today. Am now relaxing with my good pal Elijah Craig......
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/11/16
Saddlering's 10 pt........
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/11/16
Oh, that's a good'n!
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/12/16
On the way out again this morning.

Second week in a row that the one road through a certain area, without a detour for a pretty long way, there's an accident traffic stoppage. Second week in a row for a fatality within a mile of each other. Yeah, I'll be damned late getting into the woods - again - but some family is going to have a far, far worse day. Just keeping it in perspective.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/12/16
congrats Saddlering

I hunted yesterday afternoon on my 3 rd property that I havent got any pictures of any shooter buck on.

I was greeted by the home owner when I got out of the Jeep and he hands me the phone the neighbor tree hugger next door wants to talk to me
I have a stand apparently on their property by a couple feet. She was nice but said she was uncomfortable bla bla bla, I told here no sweat would move it if she wanted.

So as I walked in jumped a spike out of creek bed. Then another small buck and doe standing near stand she wants moved. I went to back of propriety sat for a few and decided to move back up front to another stand I have closer to creek and thick stuff.

1/2 later 6 pt slips out,then moves off and 10 minutes later chases a doe back thru grunting to beat the band
5 pt with a gimpy leg comes thru and then he starts chasing doe.Saw 6 or 7 more doe and chasing in the distance as it was getting dark.
It was an enjoyable afternoon other than the neighbor chick being flaky

Good wind 29 degrees back to the property with the big guys this morning,hopefully things are sparky there as well this morning

Get some, Dan!
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/12/16
Thanks ken for Posting my Buck! Go get them Dan , good Luck to all the rest!
Saddlering's 10 pt........
[Linked Image]

Nice deer John. You've paid your dues for that one.
Posted By: hicountry Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/12/16
Here you go brother Dan...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Opening day Va. ML season (last Sat)
Originally Posted by hicountry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice!

Quiet and cold today. Friggin' wind.
Posted By: kellory Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/12/16
Nicely done, sir.

Sorry to hear you had to move a stand. It can mess with your hunt for a while.
I avoid that by walking the property line with a GPS, and mark those borders in the GPS. when i first get permission to hunt a property. That way, i always know the where the line is, and the distances involved. (This is primarily for pursuit of a wounded deer)
I have permission to hunt several farms, some of which I have not seen in years, and it would be very easy to end up on the wrong land.
Last night the wind was blowing about 20 mph and I didn't see schit. But I managed to drop my crossbow out of the tree stand. Luckily it fell straight down and landed on the foot stirrup. Bent it in pretty bad. This morning I had a hell of a time trying to cock it. I couldn't get my foot in it.

This morning was a different story. 34 degrees and no wind. 1/4 mile before I got to the gate, I had a doe and a 10 point in a stand off next to the road. I stopped the truck and they ran off. An hour later, they showed up in the field next to me. The 10 pt. and 8 does chasing. The bucks are just now are starting to push.

When I got to work this morning, I took the crossbow apart and fixed it. Gonna shoot a couple of arrows this afternoon to make sure it's still on before I go back out.

Good luck to y'all.
Hell, we may already be in lockdown here.
Those were a couple dandy bucks. Conglads Bob
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/12/16
Originally Posted by hicountry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice deer for Va
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/13/16
Yesterday saw some doe,button bucks and 2 spikes in morning
Afternoon saw zero deer
Cameras have gone dead for the most part ...classic signs I'm experiencing lock down on this property
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/13/16
Clear, cold, calm, and quiet. 6" or so if new fallen leaves that are drier than rice paper. I just heard and spotted a deer mouse 25 yards out if that gives an idea. Nothing is moving today without making a lot of noise.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/13/16
Buddie just texted me he, 5 mins ago shot OVER a nice 8 Pt. at 30 yrds. go get em boys!
Lock down. Full moon and peak of breeding around 11/15.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/13/16
Its 37* here now with high of 53 expected. I will give her one last go this evening before rifle opens on Tuesday........
Was 25 at 0500.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/14/16
Yesterday morning saw 1 spike horn
Checked camera cards had a 8 pt come thru the day before at 11:20 am I left at 10:00 am also had another 8 pt in front of my stand at 4:15 pm but was in a different stand
Went back in at 11 am stayed till 2 pm when wind shifted bad
Saw 2 deer I couldn't identify and 3 doe

The big 8 pt I had the close encounter with Tuesday morning came thru at 1:15am the night before last
No more pictures of the piebald or big 10
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/14/16
Hmmm...
Wind is so critical to this property...I left yesterday after the mature Doe hit my wind on edge of pines and didn't care for it at all...Choice was stay and have a buck slip out and bust him or live to fight another day
BTW the big 10 and piebald are still around some place as far as I know I spoke with the neighbor yesterday and nobody has seen or got anything yet....that may change Saturday with the gun opener but if it does at least I'll know about it and won't be hunting a ghost. As I see things there is at a minimum 4 shooters I know of and a handful more on the cusp
I'll still be hunting this week leading up to Saturday and should I not punch my archery buck tag it will be good for late muzzle loader season which is the 10 days following the 3 week gun season so basically I can still take 2 buck
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/14/16
That wind has still been strong here, a buddie missed a nice 8pt. yesterday morining, 30yrds shot just over him, his wife had Twins 7 weeks ago and he has been very busy! 1st hunting trip for him, he out now hopeing the 8 will be back, I saw zip last night, and one guy did see a spike out of 4 of us hunting! bows over for me, as rifle starts here tommorow! Go get them Dan.
Posted By: tzone Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/14/16
Yesterday morning saw 1 spike horn
Checked camera cards had a 8 pt come thru the day before at 11:20 am I left at 10:00 am also had another 8 pt in front of my stand at 4:15 pm but was in a different stand
Went back in at 11 am stayed till 2 pm when wind shifted bad
Saw 2 deer I couldn't identify and 3 doe

The big 8 pt I had the close encounter with Tuesday morning came thru at 1:15am the night before last
No more pictures of the piebald or big 10

I switched my camera cards yesterday. From 4 cams, what I can tell was Nov 11 was a full on chase day. Bucks through the area at all hours of daylight. Night too, but daylight was full on.
Full moon today guys. The bucks are pushing hard here now. I went out Saturday night, it was dead calm. Didn't see anything until about 15 minutes left of light and out pops the 10 pt. about 50 yards from me and walked away. Unfortunately, I forgot my grunt so I tried making a couple of bleets, but couldn't get his attention. I got a good look at him and he's a monster. His neck looked pretty well swelled up. 5 minutes later, an 8 point came out too, and walked away. I was kicking myself in the ass all of the way back to the truck.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
Monday morning I left the woods at 8 am and rushed to my fathers home as he was not answering calls or the door and 2 days of newspaper sitting on the porch step
What I found I wish upon no one....I've lost my father, business partner and best friend
I'm devastated

http://falvofuneralhome.com/tribute/details/2882/Joseph-DeGeorge/obituary.html
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
Jesus Dan, I'm so sorry to hear this. May he rest in peace.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
Monday morning I left the woods at 8 am and rushed to my fathers home as he was not answering calls or the door and 2 days of newspaper sitting on the porch step
What I found I wish upon no one....I've lost my father, business partner and best friend
I'm devastated

I don't have words, my friend. I am sorry; our condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
Good Lord, sorry to read this Dan. Prayers sent for you and your family........
Posted By: kellory Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
I am sorry for your loss.
Posted By: GregW Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
Damn...

So sorry for your loss Dan...

I am very sorry to read this. My condolences. Best of luck dealing with all that you are facing.

Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
Dam, at a loss of what to say. Prayers sent buddie!
Posted By: kendibs Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
Very sorry to hear about your dad Dan.

-Ken
Posted By: tzone Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
I'm devastated

OMG Dan I'm sorry. I can't imagine your pain. Prayers for you and your family.
You and your family are in my thoughts & prayers, Bob
Posted By: roundoak Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
My condolences and all the best to you and your family.

Wayne
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
Damn. Sorry Dan.....
Posted By: SKane Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
I'm devastated

Damn. Damn. Damn.

Dan, sincerest condolences to you and the rest of your family. frown
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
I join the others in offering condolences and prayers for comfort.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
Been there myself under similar circumstances...My condolences.
Posted By: wageslave Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
Heartbreaking.
Strength to you and your family.
Posted By: rong Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
Terrible indeed,sorry for your loss
I am very sorry for your loss
Man, I'm sorry for your great loss.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/16/16
Condolences Dan, to you and all his friends and family.

Posted By: jaguartx Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/17/16
Sorry to hear of this. Condolences.
Condolences from KY. Truly sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/18/16
Dan

Along with so many others here I'm sorry to hear this and extend my deepest condolences.

Jim
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/18/16
Gentleman thank you all,Dad was laid to rest today. We had a very nice reception with lunch afterwords. The 1st part of closure has begun.
I will have much on my plate now but for tomorrow my mind will be clear I will climb back into a tree for the opening day of gun season.Rather than my Browning A-bolt slug gun I will be carrying dads Marlin 512 Slug gun I purchased for him. Dad wasn't a hunter but took his hunter safety course and hunted with me for a couple years because he knew how much I loved it.I have fond memories of dad killing his 1st deer with me with him.
Again thanks and I will begin to push forward as that's what dad would want.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/19/16
Saw a spike and 1 doe this morning at property with big 10 and piebald as things have gone all season the wind shifted at 11am
Front coming in
I left and headed to another property jumped 2 deer couldn't tell what then 3 doe getting to stand
Just had a 6 pt pass at 20 yds
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/20/16
I had 2 more 6 pt deer pass and a 7 pt yesterday afternoon
It seems as though I'm under a black cloud right now or God is really testing me

The big 10 came through Thursday with shooting light left and posses at 12 yds right in front of the stand I would have been in had I not been at my dads wake

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/20/16
Back in same property I hunted afternoon
Bump single deer in the same spot as yesterday walking in
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/20/16
Go get them Dan!
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/20/16
Is that 10 blind on the left eye or am I seeing things?
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/21/16
I had 2 more 6 pt deer pass and a 7 pt yesterday afternoon
It seems as though I'm under a black cloud right now or God is really testing me

The big 10 came through Thursday with shooting light left and posses at 12 yds right in front of the stand I would have been in had I not been at my dads wake

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is him, telling you that he knows you have lots going on, but that he will wait for you !

wink
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/21/16
I hunted till 8 am I just wasn't feeling like being out there as well as wind gusting 30 mph. I have much on my plate with running the business and settling my fathers estate but will hunt when time permits.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/21/16
I hunted till 8 am I just wasn't feeling like being out there as well as wind gusting 30 mph. I have much on my plate with running the business and settling my fathers estate but will hunt when time permits.

Do what you have to do. You know whats right.....
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/22/16
Winds been cranking on Long Island but might give it a shot tomorrow afternoon and Thursday morning as well.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/22/16
And once again my luck is non existent
Neighbor got him today at 1:20 pm
Think I'll bag it for this year

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/22/16
Congrats to the neighbor.

This is the way of saying you have other matters to attend to this year, my friend.

You and yours continue to have our thoughts and prayers.
Yup,I congratulated him,sucks for me but I'm happy for him
Had circumstances been different I know I'd have got him with my bow.
I'll regroup still have not taken a deer as I was holding out. I'll just pop some doe and get some meat...hell I saw over 20 doe this afternoon but couldn't get in till 3:00pm not that it would have mattered.
Looks like pretty conditions---I'd be looking for that piebald. Bob
Originally Posted by bbassi
Is that 10 blind on the left eye or am I seeing things?
you were correct he was missing his left eye

My stand would be in the left corner of that picture on the edge of the pines that are in the back ground
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/23/16
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Looks like pretty conditions---I'd be looking for that piebald. Bob
Piebald is super elusive only have one picture of him from Oct 14 on property I hunt. Neighbor sent me a picture of him last week he's busted up now broke off G3 and brow tine,thinking the big 10 and him were scraping and thats how the 10 lost his eye.10 pt's eye was all puss and his ear was tore up.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/23/16
Id say get the Piebald, 2017, get you some vension for the freezer now! Just try to relax some, and enjoy your time in the woods!
Posted By: rong Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/23/16
^^this^^
You've had a rough ride as of late,and sometimes a little time in the woods can clear ones mind,even if it's for a short time.
Posted By: lightning Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/23/16
And once again my luck is non existent
Neighbor got him today at 1:20 pm
Think I'll bag it for this year

[Linked Image]

Really nice looking buck, Congrats to the neighbor.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/25/16
Hunted yesterday morning till 9 am saw 1 button buck.
Heading back out this morning things seem locked up again
Posted By: GregW Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/25/16
Good luck Dan -
Posted By: rong Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/25/16
Was out with one of the boys this morning and didn't see anything moving.Didn't even bump any ,with the fog here it was a odd morning.
Posted By: lightning Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/25/16
My buddy in Vermont said it was the best hunting conditions they've had in 5 years. 6 inches of tracking snow, and light wind. All the acorn flats, and beechnut ridges were all tracked up. Hang in there!
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/25/16
saw a slammer this morning at 72 yards across from me on another knob....got him interested but he would not commit and close the distance...sat all afternoon in a spot I thought he might come out of...Not !...will be up at 0400 and give it another try tomorrow morning...this guy is definitely worth the effort.
Posted By: lightning Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/25/16
Originally Posted by EQFD193
saw a slammer this morning at 72 yards across from me on another knob....got him interested but he would not commit and close the distance...sat all afternoon in a spot I thought he might come out of...Not !...will be up at 0400 and give it another try tomorrow morning...this guy is definitely worth the effort.

Good luck, hope you get him!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/26/16
Yesterday morning decided to get some meat for the freezer
[Linked Image]

Got a picture of the piebald from a couple nights ago,he's busted and broken to hell now to the point I won't shoot him now
[Linked Image]

Hunted the other property in the afternoon saw a 6,7 and spike along with 4 doe.

The 9 pt I passed during archery season is still hanging around also
[Linked Image]

Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/26/16
Thanks lightning...Congrats Dan !
Hope you find what you are looking for,no need for congrats I can kill and fill all my doe tags without a sweat. Raining pretty good here and morning movement has been almost non existent so I think I'll fore go getting myself and gun soaked this am and get out again in the afternoon
changed my mine I'm in stand sitting in the rain
Nothing moving this morning zero deer
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/26/16
Goose egg for me today....Apparently the slammer buck I was hoping to snooker this morning did not get the memo...many squirrels did though smile
5 doe a spike and 3 pt this afternoon
Posted By: kendibs Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/28/16
Despite almost 2 feet of snow open weekend my son & I have seen over 30 deer this week with 3/4 bucks. None big enough to take yet.

-Ken

Posted By: lightning Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/28/16
2 feet of snow is a bitch, hang in there Capt!
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/28/16
Originally Posted by lightning
2 feet of snow is a bitch, hang in there Capt!

Only a bitch, if you ain't where the deer go. wink
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/28/16
4 doe, Fella out for a stroll wearing a camo jacket accompanied by his hound and pit bull both off the leash walked right through my set up...not the way I had the afternoon sit planned out you might say...
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/29/16
More meat for me yesterday afternoon.Doe dressed at 110 lbs

[Linked Image]

Dinner
Sautéed fresh heart of venison with onions in a butter sherry reduction served over Geechie boy cheese grits

[Linked Image]
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/29/16
Looks great Dan !
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 11/29/16
Yum! I do like eating the Heart, sometimes the Liver!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/02/16
My cousin had some issues with his slug gun and had his muzzle loader hang fire on him 2 weeks ago so I loaned him my dads(his Uncle Joe)shot gun that I had purchased for my dad back when he hunted with me for a couple years.
Dad was with my cousin yesterday afternoon he shot this deer at near 150 yds

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/02/16
Nice shooting on a beautiful buck, I'm sure your Dad is smiling !!! Congrats!
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/02/16
Marlin bolt action?
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/02/16
Originally Posted by EQFD193
Nice shooting on a beautiful buck, I'm sure your Dad is smiling !!! Congrats!

+1.

Love the brow tines.....
Originally Posted by 4ager
Marlin bolt action?
Yup I just scored it and its low 140's slob!
Originally Posted by 4ager
Marlin bolt action?
Yup I just scored it and its low 140's slob!

Amazing to think that a buck like that is still more than 30", NET, from the B&C list.
More amazing is he passed that deer archery season waiting for a big piebald he'd been hunting
More amazing is he passed that deer archery season waiting for a big piebald he'd been hunting

Damn...
Im hunting the property tomorrow so maybe I'll get a piebald after all this season theres also a monster 10 pt still running
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/02/16
Go getem Dan. a bit of snow and he blends in well! Wishing you LUCK!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/02/16
Man what a buck! 140" 8PT IS A SLAMMER......
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/02/16
Man I thought mine had some good brow tines! Congrats to your cousin.
Posted By: add Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/02/16
Thanks George, terrific thread.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/04/16
Yesterday was uneventful in the morning and I didn't hunt the afternoon.Got the 2 doe I shot last week cut and into the freezer. ! week left in gun season then muzzle loader opens for 10 days.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/05/16
Dan, I've had two eye-to-eye encounters with monster bucks this season and the situations and outcomes both made me sick to my stomach. I'll either tell you in person or write them up when I feel energetic enough to type that much. Other than that, a couple of doe and a few exciting moments are all I've accomplished this season.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/05/16
Seems to be the theme just had a buddy call me saying he's done for the season after his muzzle loader went pop and no charge fire after sneaking in on a giant and waiting 2 hours for him to stand up,he said biggest buck ever that he's seen live and he's killed some monsters.
Untangling work, attorneys,accountants and bank accounts has left me little time to hunt and my heart just isn't in it.
I'll get out a few more times when my schedule permits
Posted By: EdM Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/05/16
Seems to be the theme just had a buddy call me saying he's done for the season after his muzzle loader went pop and no charge fire after sneaking in on a giant and waiting 2 hours for him to stand up,he said biggest buck ever that he's seen live and he's killed some monsters.
Untangling work, attorneys,accountants and bank accounts has left me little time to hunt and my heart just isn't in it.
I'll get out a few more times when my schedule permits

Fully understandable Dan. Wishing you a good holiday season.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/06/16
Gonna bust hump today and try to get out this afternoon
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/06/16
Another heart break for me bad luck continues.
Set up in a stand over looking cut bean field
10 doe filter out Im set back in 20 yds of field edge and the deer need to feed their way out so I have a clear unobstructed shot. All the doe final do. At last light i hear noise in the thick stuff Im in I see a body,pull up the binos and a head comes through its a big shooter wide and high.He disappears in a second but I know he's heading to the field.Yup he enters the field a couple seconds later and is heading right for the doe.I stand and rest on a tree infront of the stand I'm on his shoulder at 100 yds but he hasn't cleared the tree line branches.I hold and wait and he turns and bounds away.Don't know what spooked him he couldn't have made me wind was no where near him I'm baffled and snake bit
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/06/16
Another heart break for me bad luck continues.
Set up in a stand over looking cut bean field
10 doe filter out Im set back in 20 yds of field edge and the deer need to feed their way out so I have a clear unobstructed shot. All the doe final do. At last light i hear noise in the thick stuff Im in I see a body,pull up the binos and a head comes through its a big shooter wide and high.He disappears in a second but I know he's heading to the field.Yup he enters the field a couple seconds later and is heading right for the doe.I stand and rest on a tree infront of the stand I'm on his shoulder at 100 yds but he hasn't cleared the tree line branches.I hold and wait and he turns and bounds away.Don't know what spooked him he couldn't have made me wind was no where near him I'm baffled and snake bit

Dog, coyote, other human - who knows?

Sorry, buddy.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/06/16
Dan we had bucks chasing little does all over Saturday and Sunday. Not only that but tons of fresh scrapes and Rubs in the woods that were not there as of the opening weekend. I pulled the one camera I still had out and there is a definite up-tick in buck movement this week. If I were to guess I would say them young does may be coming in right now. best of luck!
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/06/16
I swear big bucks have that "6th" sense.
Unexplainable.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/06/16
Originally Posted by Tom264
I swear big bucks have that "6th" sense.
Unexplainable.

They have to get old to get big, and they don't get old by being stupid.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/07/16
Ok same stand tonight as yesterday.
Doe start filtering out into the field at 4:10. At 4:40 I'm counting doe 8 then 9 and 10 show up as I'm looking at number 10 through the bino's a giant buck enters the field.
He hugs the far edge and I stand and get ready. I have to pick a shot through the branches of the trees on the field edge again. I look to have a clear shot at about 160 yds.
I fire and he still standing fire again and I think I hit him still in the field deer scattering every where but he still there fire a 3rd shot he gets to the edge of the field near some swale grass that I had ranged at 175 yds and I fire a 4th shot and he stops in the grass leaving the field and at the shot his tail goes straight up and starts flickering back and forth very fast.
He looked like he went down just into the grass exiting the field.
I immediately get down and back out get to my jeep and drive to my cousins across the road.
20-30 minutes pass and we head over in his UTV to go look for him.
As we get to the spot where the buck exited the field I think I here a deer jump up. I tell my cousin turn of the UTV and then silence. We look for blood but fine none. I go into the area the I think the deer would be dead and find zero.We search around but its dark and find zero, We get into the UTV and drive around the circular horse track looking for sign and again zero.
I'm thinking I missed but back to the spot I think the deer exited and follow a trail a few yds and find a spot of blood. Then we get the big light and find another bigger spot of coagulated bright blood. We then find a bed right where I though I heard the deer jump from.The deer bedded less then 20 yds from where he exited.
We found some more blood and saw which way it was headed, into some tall swale grass and thick pines so we backed out and will return tomorrow morning to look for him.
Between the tail flicker and a huge buck bedding less than 20 yds from the hit I thinking he has to be hit hard and hurting...either my season will end in a blaze of glory or I'll top of the worst run of luck I've ever had
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/07/16
If he bedded that soon he's hurt pretty bad . Good luck with the search .
Posted By: GregW Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/07/16
You'll find him in the morning Dan if he bedded in 20 yards I suspect...
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/07/16
Dan, sent you a PM with the number for a guy with a tracking dog just in case. Good Luck!
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/07/16
Dan, sent you a PM with the number for a guy with a tracking dog just in case. Good Luck!

Had the exact same suggestion, but you have the local number.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
Good luck Dan..........
Posted By: jimy Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
Good luck
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
Long restless night(but they have been any ways)
Have to get my crew out and on a job site then will head back to look for the deer...hate this
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
Dan my friend said he would bring the dog to work so give him a call if you need him
Posted By: tzone Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
I'm hoping you end in a blaze of glory.
I don't need no dog !!! wink

Story to follow later

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Good job, I hate it when that happens. It looks like you got him in the leg one time.
Posted By: pointer Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
Very nice buck! Congrats!
Good buck!! I enjoy this thread every year.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
Woo Hoo!
Posted By: tzone Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
EXCELLENT!

Nice buck. You sure earned that sucker!
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
NICE 8, Dan!

Congratulations!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
Congrats... I was thinking I'd have to load Tiger up and fly up north to help right quick!

Dad was looking after ya!
Posted By: GregW Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
Knew it - congrats Dan!
Nice!!!
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
Congrats sir!!! You have earned it.....but I gotta ask.....

What are we going to do now? grin
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/08/16
Great buck! Hope the Piebald, makes it thru for you to Hunt Next year! did you use the 444???
Great buck! Hope the Piebald, makes it thru for you to Hunt Next year! did you use the 444???

The piebald isn't in the clear YET, IIRC Dan still has a ML/archery buck tag left. That season starts 12/12 and goes to 12/20............
Yes Mz'er starts Monday and I have a buck tag again since I didn't kill a buck archery season.piebald on property I hunt is still alive neighbor sent me a picture and again he's all broke up.Piebald on my cousins property is still good to go though and he invited me to Mz hunt his property so maybe..

Piebald 12/6

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/09/16
So where's the story of the recovery Dan?
Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/09/16

TX f'ked him, but .444s make big holes.
Congratulations! Great buck. Way to persevere!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/10/16
Sorry for the delay... we headed in at 10 am the next morning
Started at the bed down spot found a bit more blood and the direction the deer headed. Blood trail was gone but we slowly pushed forward
Tall grass and cattail and thick pine area.
10 minutes in as I was looking in the tall grass 50 yds from my cousin he summons me over and said "Buck 5 yds get over here"
I get there to find the buck on the edge of the pines and still alive.
I circle and put a shot thru the lungs and finish him.

I hit him with 3 of the 4 shots fired the afternoon before.
I had a bit more drop than anticipated. 2 shots 2" apart lower right shoulder -upper leg,clipped 1 lung.
3rd shot busted back upper right rear leg,that was the shot I took as the buck was exiting the field and facing straight away and caused the tail flicker
The deer went over 100 yds from where we jumped him the night before,
I don't even know how it was possible for him to do so with both front and rear leg obliterated on the same side but he some how did just that. I'm not one for flinging lead but I knew I had hit him with the 1st or 2nd shot(maybe both) at that point I'll keep shooting if a shot is still presented until the deer drops or is out of sight or range.
And bbassi thank you for reaching out to your friend with the dog its greatly appreciated!Glad I didn't need his services
We need to get together soon for a drink or coffee
I'm heading out to the rifle range/gun club shortly
I have a muzzle loader to get sighted and set that a friend just purchased yesterday( with me in tow telling him what to purchase including scope)...nothing like deciding 3 days before the season you want a muzzle loader, but I can't say no to a friend so I'll have him up and running for Monday opener
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/11/16
So this maybe the buck my cousin had the MZer miss fired on
was killed 7 miles from where he was hunting? Is it likely that deer went that far in a day or two???

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/11/16
Imo, possible, but not probable. 7 miles is a long way, especially with the main rut being over. Did your cousin have a look at this buck? Btw that's a SLAMMER!
He thought it was the deer but not 100% but same caliber
But how many bucks like that are running around WNY not many I'd wager
Im leaning towards different buck,1st report was it was shot right on the next rd but some detective work got me the name of the hu nter and exact intersection and it is 7 miles away
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/11/16
Easily possible if there was a hot doe in the second rut. We shot one a few years back that we saw the night before over 4 miles away as the crow flies. Look at that neck. He is still rutting big time.

Where (approximately) was that one Dan?
Riga/bergen
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/11/16
so my AO? nice.
Posted By: kendibs Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/11/16

Congrats on that nice 8 Dan.

-Ken

Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/12/16
Saw 3 doe and 2 small buck this afternoon a 3 pt and 7 pt
Some real cold weather moving in so we shall see if it gets the big guys on their feet in shooting light
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/14/16
6 doe 2 buck 7 pt and 8 pt not shooters yesterday afternoon.
Cold,snow and a bean field that wasn't turned over are whats working right now
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/14/16
Sure do appreciate and enjoy reading this thread. I look forward to it each day. Thanks for posting.
Jim
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/15/16
Yesterday afternoon not so good snowing and blowing
1 small doe that actually walked right into the dead fall I was sitting in and literally sniffed my boot.I could have kicked her in the nose.Never knew I was there
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/15/16
tonight should be good if the lake effect lays down. Good luck Dan.
Posted By: kendibs Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/16/16
1 small doe that actually walked right into the dead fall I was sitting in and literally sniffed my boot.I could have kicked her in the nose.Never knew I was there

Happened to me about 25 years back. A spike actually touched my knee with his nose.

-Ken

Posted By: 4ager Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/16/16
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII

Happened to me about 25 years back. A spike actually touched my knee with his nose.

-Ken

Slapped a doe across the snout some years back (more than I want to admit these days). She damned near turned inside out to get away and literally bounced off trees hauling ass out of there.

I'm not sure if I ever laughed so hard in my life.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/17/16
Yesterday afternoon Last light 2 buck and 2 doe
1 buck was borderline so he got a pass
Posted By: bbassi Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/17/16
last night was a good night. Heard lots of shooting and my buddy shot one behind the house. weather was perfect for getting them on their feet before dark.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/18/16
Yup 12 doe and a basket 8 pt yesterday afternoon
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/19/16
took yesterday off to rest and relax a bit
I'll try to get out late afternoon if time permits
today and tomorrow and its over till next Oct.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/19/16
Skunked tonight 1st time for this spot
The fat lady is warming up the end is tomorrow
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/20/16
Well went out mid day for a deer drive that didn't produce any deer,skipped the final afternoon hunt as I found out my business phone that was supposed to be switched over to my cell phone wasn't and I have no business phone 2 hours on the phone with Frontier and still not fixed...any how that's a wrap on 2016 season,been a tough fall for many reasons but I feel fortunate to have taken 2 doe and a nice buck
Thanks for following along and looking forward to 2017 and more fun and adventures!
Always fun to follow along with your season. Thanks for the extra effort you put into the forum.

Best,
Rob
Posted By: saddlering Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/22/16
Looking forward to next season Dan! Take Care!
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/22/16
Thanks again Dan.
Best to you for the holidays.
Posted By: kendibs Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/23/16

Nice read again Dan.

Merry Christmas.

-Ken

Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 12/31/16
This is the 1st year in many that I didn't kill a deer with my bow...part by choice as I was holding out and part by bad luck and circumstances with the passing of my father
But I did kill a fox with the new Halon
3D League starts next week,looking forward to that to tide me over till next October
Happy New Years to all who help make this thread what it is every year!
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Live from My Stand 2016 - 01/01/17
Thanks to your posts it is was like I got to hunt with you.

Thank you and have a great New Year.
© 24hourcampfire