Home
Posted By: MadMooner It's been a while.... - 10/14/16
Before I moved out here to WA in 2006, I shot my bow nearly daily. The last 10 years I shot maybe 10 arrows. Lol.

Anyway, I have been wanting to shoot more again and dusted off the bow. String was a bit rough, serving was pretty worn around the cams. I figured it was time to get new strings. That took me to the bow shop and of course I walked out with new string and cable....attached to a new bow.

Excited about my new toy and getting back into archery!

Lots of new stuff in the last decade!

Thinking about trying a single pin sight. Anybody here use one for hunting?
Posted By: 4ager Re: It's been a while.... - 10/14/16
Yeah, I know how THAT happens. wink

I plan dvdegeorge; it's his fault.

So, whatchaget?

Oh, and lots of folks are running single pin (I'm just not one of them - yet).
Posted By: MadMooner Re: It's been a while.... - 10/14/16
A G5 Quest Drive
Old stock. I think it was a 2014 model. Sportsmans Whorehouse had it marked down to a point I figured what the hell. Quite a difference from my old Darton!

Bought a TT Smackdown Pro rest off of Archery Talk today. Kinda shopping for a single pin to put on it.

Gonna be all fancy! Lol.
Posted By: 4ager Re: It's been a while.... - 10/14/16
Ha! Had a similar occurrence with a Prime Impact. Hell of a step up from an old Hoyt (which is still a nice bow).

Heading out to see if I can get something to suicide in front of the Prime this morning. Getting caffeinated first, then out the door and to a tree.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: It's been a while.... - 10/14/16
Nice!

Our general rifle season starts tomorrow (today). Full moon and a little typhoon spinning ashore. Going to sit this one out.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: It's been a while.... - 10/15/16
I run a single pin sight and have for many years,I love it no clutter no confusion
HHA Optimizer it's an adjustable but I don't move it when hunting I know my hold out to 35-40 yds and rarely shoot at deer that far

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: It's been a while.... - 10/15/16
I am currently running a Copper John MarkIV. Have been using the single pin sight for about 10 years now and really like the idea of no clutter in the field of view.

I have tried the Trophy Ridge, MBG, Tru-Glo and I can say I prefer the Copper John over the rest.

Using a .019 pin and it is small, Copper John does not flare the end of their fibers. Another sight that caught my eye and I want to look at is the new HHA Cadet. I like the way you don't have to mount the quiver off of the bracket to clear the slider.

I lock my sight to 18-20 yards when hunting. None of my stands offer much over a 25 yard shot and even to 30 its a just a touch over center hold to drop an arrow in the vitals.
Posted By: tzone Re: It's been a while.... - 10/15/16
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Thinking about trying a single pin sight. Anybody here use one for hunting?

Yep. Depending one what you got you'll be able to have the pin set to 25-30 yards.

I don't have good eyes so I have a 20, 30, and 40yds pin because I won't shoot further than that.
Posted By: rost495 Re: It's been a while.... - 10/15/16
I've only used a single pin since the 80s. Set for 15 or 16 steps.

Thats as far as I'll shoot, our deer are wickedly fast and edgy.

While the ability to shoot small groups is there for me, out to long yardages, the deer will move.

For longer shots on hogs I just hold over as needed, and i've yet to be let down, but even on pigs I won't shoot past about 25.

My pin is so old I"ve no clue, probably PSE from circa 80s also.
Posted By: MOGC Re: It's been a while.... - 10/15/16
For me the HHA XL5519 is the ticket...
Posted By: MadMooner Re: It's been a while.... - 10/15/16
I really dig the HHA Optimizer with the dial. Good Lord though, cost about what I paid for the bow!

Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: It's been a while.... - 10/16/16
I really dig the HHA Optimizer with the dial. Good Lord though, cost about what I paid for the bow!

And weighs almost as much as the bow too.

Railroad iron tough from what I have seen though.
Posted By: 16bore Re: It's been a while.... - 10/16/16
A G5 Quest Drive
Old stock. I think it was a 2014 model. Sportsmans Whorehouse had it marked down to a point I figured what the hell. Quite a difference from my old Darton!

Bought a TT Smackdown Pro rest off of Archery Talk today. Kinda shopping for a single pin to put on it.

Gonna be all fancy! Lol.

I just got the same one a few months ago. My story is pretty much the same as yours. It's a bad ass bow. I set it up at 63#, Whisker Bisquit, 3 pin Hit Man sight, Stinger Stabilizer, Carbon Express Maxima Reds, Slick Trick Magnums.

Hopefully you don't need 28" modules because G5 didn't have any. I went with the 27-271/2" ones and glad I did. String loop took care of the extra 1/2".

Shoots very well and is way beyond what I had years ago. You won't be disappointed.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: It's been a while.... - 10/16/16
Nice! From the Sportsmans Whorehouse?

I pull 29.5 and the bow was set up about perfect for me. Haven't scaled mine, or checked the tiller yet. I'll have to put a wrench on it today. Little card said 29/60.

I shot quite a few bows and really liked this one. Only thing I'd change is to add a few more inches from ATA. Seems most folks like short bows today as most are 32" or under. Hell, at 33.5", its already one of the longer hunting bows I saw.

Yup. $349, half off. Don't want to know all the ins and outs, been down that road. Shot it, liked it. Just got back from dialing in the slick tricks. All is well and done...
Posted By: MadMooner Re: It's been a while.... - 10/16/16
Same deal. Shot a couple bows that were over twice the price. Honestly can't say I liked any of them better. That, and I'm a cheap SOB. Lol.

Was going to pick up some broad heads this week as well. The Slicktricks seem to get a lot of love.
Seemed like a no brainer to me, keep it simple.
Posted By: 16bore Re: It's been a while.... - 10/20/16
How's your shoulder holding up? Mines a phuqqin train wreck...
Posted By: MadMooner Re: It's been a while.... - 10/21/16
No sweat. That's why I bought a 60 pound bow!

Been shooting my old Darton the last week waiting on a couple things for the new bow. It's set around 65. Only have a few arrows for it though, so I take a few minutes every few shots.

The new bow draws so much nicer.
Posted By: 16bore Re: It's been a while.... - 10/21/16
Yeah, it's nice. The gal that set mine up adjusted the stops so that it doesn't want to jump at full draw. Something about wall yadda, yadda. It was a "try this, now try this, which do you like better?" kind of deal. And I didn't know to let the stop kiss the string, but took care of it.

Kinda interesting when a cutie schools you on hunting equipment. No complaints either!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: It's been a while.... - 10/21/16
I read about that. If the draw stops are set at the short end of the draw range for the cam module, it can really shorten the valley. Or something like that.

Glad you got it figured out.

The back muscles used to draw a bow sure seem to get worked if you haven't shot in a while. One of those muscles that don't see a lot of use day to day!
Posted By: dale06 Re: It's been a while.... - 10/21/16
Welcome back!
Yes a lot has changed in 10 years while you were gone.
Posted By: kendibs Re: It's been a while.... - 10/22/16

I have an older (maybe 20 yrs) Browning compound equipped with a single sight pin. My comfortable range is anywhere up to 30 yds but could push another
2-3 yards further if needs be.

-Ken
© 24hourcampfire