Home
Posted By: MadMooner Favorite arrow? - 10/15/16
What's your favorite arrow?

Just stepping back into archery after a decade or so. Still have some old Gold Tip arrows with feathers but wanting to try something else. A lot more choices today than 12 years ago.

Anything to the skinny arrows? The idea makes sense. Blazers?

Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/15/16
Gold Tips or Carbon Express are both good enough for me.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/15/16
I certainly have no bitch with the Gold Tips. They always did very well for me.

What do you use for fletching?
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/15/16
Easton ACC. No idea why I like them, but I do.

I recently shot a steel challange event -- one where you shoot through holes in steel targets until you don't -- and the ACC held up after banging steel. My field points (2) were bent all to hell, but the shafts didn't splinter. I saw mutilple other shafts explode.

FWIW -- I was shooting a Hoyt Carbon Defiant with a 29" draw at 70lbs. Targets were between 28 and 31 yards. Field tips were 100 grains...
Posted By: mad_okie Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/15/16
I have been shooting Easton full metal jackets for three years now after being a beman guy for 10 years. The FMJ is a heavier arrow and tough as heck. I have used the same arrow on 3 deer now and hoping to make it 4 this year.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/15/16
Goldtips here. 4" helical feather fletch.
Wheels or recurve, doesn't matter (wheels- fingers or release- doesn't matter).

For 3D I blew the extra and shot the "Pro" series.

I like the weight system to tune spine (if need be).
Pretty much required when shooting recurves.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/16/16
Cedar
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/16/16
Beman ICS. Currently shooting Hunter Pro shafts but the new Whiteout intrigues me.

Shot Gold Tips for several years until they went to Mexico, alright arrow but split a ton of them on the nock end and I don't shoot but 1 arrow per spot.

Rayzr feathers for me. Vanes are okay but I like the softness and forgiveness of a feather and have no durability issues with them. If you rough them up a bit of steam brings them right back.

In fact I have an arrow in the quiver now that went through last years buck and I just steamed those feathers and they stood right back up.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/16/16
I recall feathers not being so good in the rain?

In CO, all I shot was feathers, but most all the water falling from the sky in CO is frozen.

Western WA is wet. Like washing machine wet.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I recall feathers not being so good in the rain?

In CO, all I shot was feathers, but most all the water falling from the sky in CO is frozen.

Western WA is wet. Like washing machine wet.

May not work as good in the washing machine but I use 3M Scotchgard or Gateway makes a powder waterproofing. Also wonder how spray for dry flies would work??

If running vanes I would look at the Norway Fusion or Fusion Zeon. Don't think they are as tall as the Blazers, not sure on that though.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/16/16
Thanks 10ga! I'll look into waterproofing feathers and the listed vanes.

PM sent MadMooner.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/16/16
I have always shot Beemans, since I left aluminum. Currently I am shooting their Nightfalls, that have been discontinued. But I have enough of them to last years.
I don't think you can go wrong with any ofm the major brands, carbon express, Easton, beeman, gold tip, etc.
Whats important is having the right spine, and a weight that fits your need.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/16/16
I like a heavier arrow so Easton FMJ for me. Blazers for fletchings.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/16/16
FMJs
Posted By: rost495 Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/16/16
Originally Posted by mad_okie
I have been shooting Easton full metal jackets for three years now after being a beman guy for 10 years. The FMJ is a heavier arrow and tough as heck. I have used the same arrow on 3 deer now and hoping to make it 4 this year.

Had one 2117 shaft that I had 5 deer and 3 pigs on before it gave up the ghost.

I haven't bought arrows in years. No clue whats out and about these days.

Good read here, if I were to find the need to buy, but likely by then things will have changed again.

Not sure I could get used to arrows that cost more than 2-3 bucks each, like they used to.... LOL. I guess I"m getting old....

I did buy some crossbow shafts since a friend wants to use my crossbow. 5 for 28 and I about passed out. LOL.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/16/16
Gold Tip Pro Hunters for me. If I were to change I think I'd go with the FMJ. My son shoots Zombie Slayers and loves them. We both have an arrow that has killed three deer. Complete pass throughs and stuck in our rocky Ozark Mountain ground none the worse for wear.
Posted By: mibowhunter Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/17/16
Easton Axis w/ Blazers

Before going straight carbon, I really like the Easton ACC.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/17/16
Gold tip Pro Hunters here also
Posted By: dale06 Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/19/16
There are lots of good carbon arrows available today. I would go to a pro shop, look them over and see what they suggest. Possibly they would let you shoot a couple.
I shoot Beemans with feathers, only cause I always have. They are no better or worse than the others.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/19/16
I bought am shooting the Easton Da-Torch's after I ran out of ACC's that I had been shooting for the past 10+ years. Son is shooting FMJ and AXIS'. I really like the Blazer vanes, seem to hold up very well.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/20/16
After having a Beman hunter explode upon release I switched to gold tips.

In fairness that Beeman hunter might have been shot a hundred times before the failure? I'm not sure about the longevity of carbon arrows. I do flex them constantly now before shooting them.

Had it not been for the heavy carhart jacket I had on I think there might have been a serious injury to my forearm. It stung considerably with the heavy coat on.

The point and the fletching were both laying near the target, the length between them was splintered and I had small pieces of the arrow laying in the blind with me.

I cannot 100% fault the Beeman Arrow, it was the first time I had such an explosive failure. It did leave me with a bit of nervous anticipation releasing arrows for a while after that. Switching to Gold tips may have been more mentally comforting then necessary. I'll be sticking with gold tips now for the foreseeable future since the change though.
Posted By: 280Ackleyrized Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/24/16
Black Eagle. Best out there
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Favorite arrow? - 10/29/16
Ended up with some Black Eagle Rampage arrows. They look like arrows. Lol. I bought them fletched with Blazers.

I like the heavier inserts to give a bit of weight on the front. Going to run Slicktrick Vipers on them in a couple months for late elk.

Posted By: Hawkeye_Reloader Re: Favorite arrow? - 11/02/16
I'm still shooting Carbon Express Piledrivers. I would not be hesitant to shoot any high quality arrow shaft as long as my finished weight is close to 425 grains. Speed is overrated, penetration is not.
Posted By: kellory Re: Favorite arrow? - 11/02/16
Favorite arrow? A bloody one.;)
Preferably a carbon. (They are either straight or broken)
Posted By: 16bore Re: Favorite arrow? - 11/02/16
Carbon Express Maxima Red.....

But only because the dude at Sportsmans had kind of become a good buddy and life is easier when you just quite questioning schit.....

Hence the 'fire.
Posted By: jac3k Re: Favorite arrow? - 11/02/16
Carbon Express Maxima Hunters with blazer plastic or feathers.
Posted By: louiethedrifter Re: Favorite arrow? - 11/06/16
Gold tip pro hunters
© 24hourcampfire