Home
Posted By: Bootsfishing Strings? - 05/28/06
So what is the consensious for strings for older recurves....from the 70's....Flemish?...and don't ya subtract 3" off of your length? ie. if the bow is 60" you get a 57" string?....it's been a while for this traditional stuff for me......thanks, Boots
Posted By: jim in Oregon Re: Strings? - 05/28/06
Bootsfishing,
I've made my own 3-splice flemish type bowstrings for over 45 years.
A quality endless type string work well also, but the flemish type is a bit more flexible to do fine tuning on brace height once a proper string is made.
I use a bow string jig for string making which I made years ago patterned after one a friend had.
3Rivers Archery sells such jigs.
They simplify making strings of various NTN length for longbows or recurves.
Recurves typically are braced higher than most longbows and so for a given NTN length, the finisheh string for a recurve will be shorter than a string for a straigh-ended bow the same NTN length.
I still use alot of the old B 50 Dacron string material but also use FastFlight.
To write a description of flemish string making will encompass ten pages and plenty of drawings and pics.
I can show a fellow how to do it first hand in about ten minutes start to finish..:)jim
Posted By: Gene L Re: Strings? - 06/29/06
I also make flemish strings, usually out of linen.

I think an "endless" string is quieter on a recurve. There's a lot more material in the loop of a flemish string to slap the limb. I've got endless strings on my recurves.

I made a jig, but abandoned it. It's about as easy to just measure out the string, cut it the same length, then pull the inidividual strands so each is longer than the other. That tapers them.

I make two ply strings because I don't see any advantage to making an extra ply in there.

B-50 is the easiest thing I've worked with because it's pre-waxed so much.
© 24hourcampfire