Home
I've been looking for a pack fly rod. A 4 piece won't work, the sections are too long and the area I pack into is too rugged. I bent a pack frame trip before last, what chance does an exposed fishing stick stand?

Recently I saw that LL Bean is offering an 8 piece pack rod. That sounds interesting.

Has anyone tried it? I'd welcome any feedback on it, good or bad.

TIA ...

Tom
TOM,

I've no idea about the LL Bean; but I do have a a Cabela's Stow-Away (5pc) that is economical and a very nice rod. They also make a 7 pc. Mine is a 7.5' 4 wgt. that packs down to 18" I think. Check them out. Just my opinion.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Thanks!! I'll look into that. I'd been looking at a Sage 4 piece but the sections are just not short enough.

Tom
It's cheap too, so if it doesn't work out you haven't got a ton of bucks invested. It will really surprise you too. I love mine.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Looks like the LL Bean 8 piece and the 7-piece from Cabela's are within $10 of each other. Both in the $165 - $175 range. Not much to base a choice on, but I've had awful good luck with equipment that said Cabela's on it and I really like sending business their way. Thanks!

Tom
Just had to bring back an old thread. smile

The Cabelas rod is good. I got a 4 wt 8 foot. My first light rod. That was so fun I had to get a 5 foot 2 weight Cabela's rod.

Y' know how gun nuts are. Some days a blued '06 ain't good enough, you gotta have a stainless one.

In that spirit, I just ordered the LL Bean 8 piece I asked about in Aug of '08. smile They're on sale for $129 right now, down from $175, if anyone is interested.

Tom
© 24hourcampfire