Home
Posted By: Teal Any ever fished species specific - 02/14/10
Was perusing the latest copy of The Drake and started to notice the adds for species specific fly line. Got to wondering if any here used that or what their opinion was.

I fly fish only for steelhead and smallies. So a species specific line would make sense - that is if there is something actually to it...
Can't say that I have Teal...sorry, no help here...

Ingwe
Originally Posted by teal
Was perusing the latest copy of The Drake and started to notice the adds for species specific fly line. Got to wondering if any here used that or what their opinion was.

I used a lot of teeny nymph lines when I lived in Washington and while they're not species specific they're pretty much a big fly shooting line (I used the sink tips) just used for Salmon and Steelhead. Worked great for that, useless for anything else.
Yeah I guess I used a species specific ( Though not the name brand) line on pike...got a fast sink rocket taper to fish big-azz streamers 15 feet deep...it worked grin

Ingwe
I have never used them....seems like Rio is leading the pack coming out with species specific lines. I know Rio makes a bass line that has a larger, shorter taper that might work well for you Teal. Should turn fly over pretty easily.

I line up a some of my rods for various reasons. My 10ft 6wt wears #7 line and my 9wt wears a #10 line. All others wear matching lines

btw....The DRAKE is my favorite fishing rag out there.
Cortland used to make a line called a Quiet taper for small streams. Kind of a bug taper line in a three/four weight. I liked it a lot but they no longer make them.
Originally Posted by HuntKY
btw....The DRAKE is my favorite fishing rag out there.

The Drake and the new one, the Flyfish Journal are easily mine as well. Excellent photography and coffee table worthy.
I really think that more than species specific, they are application specific. My "bonefish" line throws small flies a long way. When permit fishing in a heavy wind I use the tarpon line as the head of the line is more concentrated up front to help cheat the wind. Pike lines (F) are very much like tarpon lines, but the coating is different so they don't work as well in the warm water, they just seem to limp away.ymmv
Andrew...have you checked out www.thisisfly.com? It's a great online flyfishing magazine. If you're into the Drake, I would think you would enjoy ThisIsFly too.

Thanks for the heads up on The Flyfishing Journal, I'll check that out.
LL Bean had a sale, and I bought Scientific Angler Bonefish and Striped Bass lines. We'll see if they are any better. My Cortland 444 Trout lines aren't any different from my old 444 lines except they change color where the weight forward section ends.
Species-specific fly lines... Be careful in here. Some of these guys have species-specific pickup lines...
Ha - was just kicking around the idea of a "steelhead" line for my new Sage. I'll have to talk more with the guys at the shop.
© 24hourcampfire