Home
Posted By: ADK4Rick Copper Berylium flyrod? - 02/14/10
it was my grandfathers,I don't know wnything about Fly Fishing,were they good? are they rare?
any info would be appreciated.

thanks

Rick
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Copper Berylium flyrod? - 02/14/10
Rick
They were a big deal in the '40s, but were heavy and casting was not any better than bamboo... Not that bamboo was/or is bad, just that they could not cast any farther than bamboo of the era... They are quite "slow" or soft. But they are very pretty.

I suppose someone may collect them as an oddity, but they are not anything for value as far as I have ever heard.

From that era your grandfather may have had leader tins for soaking gut leaders in and Richard Wheatley made many... That would be the sort of thing to look for in the "easily overlooked" section... Lots of fly reels in those days are worth serious bucks.
Posted By: ADK4Rick Re: Copper Berylium flyrod? - 02/15/10
thanks for the reply.

the reel with it is different,instead of cranking it like a regular reel,you pull up on a handle that protrudes from the reel and with every pull it reels in,I'll have to dig it out and get the name and take some pic's.

I only ask,because I was reminded I have it and thought it was interesting.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Copper Berylium flyrod? - 02/15/10
It is interesting and they are really pretty in good light... Those old automatic fly reels were the rage way back when also, but pretty common.
art
© 24hourcampfire