Home
Posted By: 1minute Finally got out today. - 07/03/11
We have had a cool and extended spring and near record runoff. Took a budding fly fisherman (about 19 yr old) along to Emigrant Creek north of Burns, Oregon. It's a higher stream that should have been in shape a month ago. Flows were about 30% higher than average and a lot of color to the water. Anyway, the kid scored about 30 rainbow, most in the 10 to 12 inch range, and he had 3 hogs on that probably went 17+. True to form each of the big boys got away. I think it's a law or something. He was elated with the trip, as his best day prior had been a 4 fish day. I'm pretty sure we have the kid well hooked on fly fishing.

I stuck with a gold ribbed hare's ear going upstream all day. The kid went to an elk hair caddis but fished upstream and wet. Had he been better at detecting strikes, he probably could have doubled his fish count.

With the murky water, one could fish really close in. I picked up several that were within 4 ft of my shoes, and got quite few just dapping over rocks or in small bankside eddies. The only land animal of consequence was about a 24 inch rattler. I left him there, as they help keep out the casual fisherman.

Anyway, a great day that has given me bug to get after it a little more frequently.

Tight lines everyone,
Posted By: ribka Re: Finally got out today. - 07/04/11
Nice

I thought I was the only one to get out and fish on here wink
Posted By: hamr56 Re: Finally got out today. - 07/04/11
Sounds like a good day of fishing for sure. Water seems to be high all over this year.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Finally got out today. - 07/04/11
Sounds like fun. Yeah, water here is a month or more higher than it should be. I tried to camp this weekend and hit snow miles before where I wanted to camp. Creeks were all way high. And the skeeters were unbelievable.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Finally got out today. - 07/06/11
Glad ye had a good trip there 1minute....and congrats on taking that young man with you! I bet he was ecstatic!!

While we don't suffer from the snowmelt as you gentlemen do our fishing this spring hasn't been the best....until recently. We had an unusually wet spring that kept the creeks high and muddy. The good thing for us is that there is plenty of water in the little creeks and the groundwater has been recharged so we shouldn't suffer from the normal July & August dry season that so hurt our wild trout.

Again...glad you had a good trip....and better conditions are coming. They always did when we lived in Wyoming.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Finally got out today. - 07/06/11
Sharps4590: I have one of those too (long range express), and it's not well exercised. Got a Jones Creedmore mould that needs an initial workout too.

On the streamflows..... I think we will have spring conditions here as late as Aug 1.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Finally got out today. - 07/06/11
Fine rifle and cartridge. My first Shiolh was a LRE only in 45-70. I sold it back when they were hotter than a $2.00 pistol for a substantial profit and bought a Montana Roughrider in 45-90 then a #1 Sporter in 40-70. They don't get much exercise since we sold the farm and my 520 yard range went with it.

Never tried a Jones mold but have heard nothing but praise about them.

I broke the tip off my favorite bamboo rod the 4th so I'll have to use one of my other cane sticks til I get it repaired. Fishing should be pretty good for the rest of the summer here then improve come fall & winter.
© 24hourcampfire