Home
Posted By: KSMITH Looking for a fly rod - 05/05/13
When I was younger I used to have a 6' fly rod that I would use to sneak up the small springs in PA to go after native brook trout. I have looked all over and can't find one reasonably priced. They all seem to be some whiz bang rod for a couple hundred dollars. Anyone have an idea where I could look to find one? Thanks.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/05/13
I recently bought a Hardy/Grey's 3-wt rod. It's a 7'6" rod, which is a bit longer than you mention. But it's super sweet - and only $119. Check HERE
Posted By: ingwe Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/05/13
Try this:
Ive got two six foot 3 wts. by W.W. Griggs, each for about $40 that Im completely happy with...

http://www.wwgrigg.com/fly.htm

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KSMITH Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/06/13
Can't find one for sale anywhere. Looks like exactly what I need. Wanna sell one of yours. lol
Posted By: ingwe Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/06/13
They are usually marketed by small independent sporting goods stores, to compete with big box stores...so try some little local shops and see if their jobbers have them on hand....
Shufly rods great rod for the money i bought short 3 wt from them along w a few others great rods under 200
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/06/13
Take a look at Cabela's TQR rods. I have a 5 foot 2 weight. I think they offer a 6 foot as well.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/06/13
I have a Cabelas 7'6" that I like real well, and I think you are right, they have some creek rods as well. Im taking the 7.5 footer to Canada in a month for pike grin
Posted By: KSMITH Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/07/13
Looked at the TQR rods and they really don't have great reviews. If anybody comes across a Griggs please keep me in mind. I wouldn't mind paying for your trouble.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/07/13
Contact Bart at CSW phone 406-443-2978 and see if he can drop ship you one...

Should be no problemo..
Posted By: KSMITH Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/07/13
Called them. They no longer carry WW Griggs. Thanks for trying.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/08/13
Have you tried Sportsmans Whorehouse for anything in a 6 footer?
Posted By: KSMITH Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/08/13
They popped up on a google search but only had 8' and above.
Did u check out shufly rods?
Posted By: SLDUCK Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/13/13
I have a Diamondback Diamonglass 7ft 3 weight. it is brand new 3 piece with tube. plastic is still on the cork. PM me and I will give you price also have a brand new never been used Ross Cimarron 1 fly reel. I will sell together and you will have first class outfit
1) Track down a Cabela's CGR (50th anniversary) rod in 3 or 4 wt. I use the 6'6" 4wt, and it's just the ticket for small streams. Maybe $80-100. Yes folks are trying to sell them for what they paid for them, or more. The value is that good, though the aesthetics are lacking. I really wished I'd bought 2 more when they closed them out at $59.

2) Get the Cabela's CGT (current production) 2 wt rod, and line it with a 4 wt. This series is notoriously fast actioned for glass. If you no likey, send back. $100.

3) If you insist on graphite, and can live with a 7'3" rod, the Echo Carbon series 2 wt rod is $170, and works well. I used mine heavily for bluegill, until I started chasing them with the above CGR 4wt and some bamboo rods. There's also a 6'6" 3wt that might be just the ticket, but I've not used that rod.

Scott

P.S. There are no flies on the Diamondglass rod above, though I'd certainly expect it to sell for more than even the Echo rod.
Posted By: Taconic11 Re: Looking for a fly rod - 06/09/13
Buy a blank & components and wrap you're own custom up. It isn't that hard. Many companies have blanks. CEC Rain Shadow, Cortland, Lamiglas, to name a few mid priced.
are you sure you are going to like a rod that small?? once I started fishing with a 10 footer I like as long of a rod as I can fish with. granted I want things to be pretty wide open when I use the 10 footer. I also use and 8 6, but any shorter and more dinky leaves me aggravated because its not ripping the flys up and off the water when I want to cast.
Posted By: fish head Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/29/14
I have a 7' 9" Orvis 2 wt that's an absolute dream to cast. It's the easiest most pleasant casting fly rod I own and you don't have to rip the line off the water. It does it effortlessly.

With that said it is somewhat of a specialty rod and it wouldn't be my first choice as a do everything all arounder. It does have it's place though.

If you get the chance try a well balanced short light set up. You'll change your opinion about what they're capable of.
Posted By: htredneck Re: Looking for a fly rod - 05/30/14
I have a vintage 6' Fenwick 'glass rod and an Orvis Clearwater reel that I can throw into the mix of possibles if you are interested...
Orvis makes some nice stuff that are not too pricey. Cabela's brand Flyrods are nice too. When you go to Cabela's, WHATEVER You Do, DO NOT pick up one of the Sage brand Flyrods.
If you do do it's all over and you will spend $600 bucks on just one little 3 weight Flyrod that ways just slightly over 1 ounce! Don't ask me how I know! wink

For small streams and also fly fishing in my stock tanks here at the Ranch, I prefer a 7.6' 3wgt graphite rods. For big rivers and big Rainbows & Brownies, I prefer a 9.6 " 5wgt graphite rod.

As I warned you, it gets addicting real fast and can get really expensive in a hurry.
If your a rifle looney, Fly Fishing is bad news And will put a major dent in your wallet cool
Posted By: byron Re: Looking for a fly rod - 06/06/14
Kind of in the same place as the OP. Got a couple of longer rods and looking for a decent small stream rod. Just checked Cabelas and they have the CGT's on sale at half price (74.88) if anyone is interested.
Posted By: byron Re: Looking for a fly rod - 06/06/14
Went with the CGT 622-3.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Looking for a fly rod - 06/13/14
It sounds like a Reddington Butter Stick might fill the bill with what you are looking for. I have an 8 footer for a 5 wt that they make and I been fishing it a lot since I got it. I have a vintage pair of fenwicks on 6' and the other 8's Fiber glass, I also have very nice 7'6" Powell rod for a 4 wt and a 7'9" Orvis 2 wt., there is a 20 dollar 4 wt rod that Wally World sells that gotten good reviews, the reel seat is the only complaint. but for less that 20 dollars the fellow doing the review , a PA fly tier and fishing guide liked it a lot.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Looking for a fly rod - 06/28/14
Two rods come to mind. TFO Lefty Kreh 2 wt 6' flyrod and TFO Gary Loomis 6' 4/5 wt spin/fly rod. Both are around 100 bucks. I have had my eye on the Gary Loomis model. It has a Tennessee handle and you can place the reel anywhere you want it, ideal for spinning reel use and when you use a fly reel just mount on the rear of the handle.
Posted By: a12 Re: Looking for a fly rod - 06/30/14
Look at the Cabelas fiberglass anniversary edition. My son loves his 3wt.[Linked Image]
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Looking for a fly rod - 08/24/14
Ebay is your friend. Hundreds to choose from.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Looking for a fly rod - 08/25/14
Originally Posted by gmsemel
It sounds like a Reddington Butter Stick might fill the bill with what you are looking for. I have an 8 footer for a 5 wt that they make and I been fishing it a lot since I got it. I have a vintage pair of fenwicks on 6' and the other 8's Fiber glass, I also have very nice 7'6" Powell rod for a 4 wt and a 7'9" Orvis 2 wt., there is a 20 dollar 4 wt rod that Wally World sells that gotten good reviews, the reel seat is the only complaint. but for less that 20 dollars the fellow doing the review , a PA fly tier and fishing guide liked it a lot.

I have that 20 dollar wally world 4wt. I love it for blue gills and I put a spincast reel on it for fishing tiny hand tied jigs under a small float. Best 20 bucks I ever spent. I took the handle off and epoxied it back on the right way. It was a down locking reel seat and the rod was to short for that, it didn't ballance as good as it could have with the reel I had on it. At 7' its very handy.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Looking for a fly rod - 10/06/14
Found this sweet 7-foot light weight South Ben bamboo on the ebay.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire