Home
The first of July I made my first trip for brookies of the summer.. Drove back a forest service road to one of my favorite creeks..
Found my favorite parking spot and tried to get to the creek.. New beaver dams blocked my path..

[Linked Image]
This was just the beginning of troubles.. I found the creek very high, and fish were tough to locate.. Finally I moved down to my favorite hole.. Usually good for 5 or 6 brookies of above average size for the creek.. To my dismay, I found the hole occupied by a couple redheaded fish ducks.. I had never seen these buggers on this creek.. Not only that, but the grass showed someone else had discovered my favorite spot on the creek.. I left more than a little p. o'd.. I hit two more creeks and my luck did change.. But the fishing was the worst I have had in more than 40 years.. But I did manage to take a limit of brookies with my old 7.5 ' Fenglass fly rod.. I have been fishing with this rod for more than 40 years.. Still does a fine job..

[Linked Image]

Another shot:[Linked Image]
Later, I dress the fish and my gal prepared them and fries for dinner..
before dinner:

[Linked Image]
Ready for the table:

[Linked Image]
Not so good with the photos:

[Linked Image]
Trout and the fires: one of my favorite summer meals... Hope you are having a fun summer also..
[Linked Image]

That's enough for me but I'm not sure what you guys would eat. smile

Sorry your old fishing hole was a bust but it looks like things worked out in the end.

Happy 4th

My favorite creek....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Field, thanks..

Shrapnel, awesome fish there, but you cheat, you LIVE in Montana!!
Are the limits still that high???
Posted By: Lonny Re: First Trip of the summer.. - 07/04/15
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

[Linked Image]

Looks good too me!

The smaller trout, especially brookies, are really the only ones I care to eat anymore. Fried crisp, salt, pepper... Good stuff.
Posted By: LouisB Re: First Trip of the summer.. - 07/05/15
Think the pictures Shrapnel posted proves some small creeks hold some real surprises.

Man, how I miss the taste of fresh trout.
They really do hold surprises.. A catch like that in a Wy. creek would be illegal today.. Except for brook trout 3 fish is the max. from moving water.. Trout those size are great to catch, but we really don't care for the taste..
Posted By: ribka Re: First Trip of the summer.. - 07/06/15
Hey thanks for sharing
Enjoy your posts fly fishing in WY.

Small sub 8 inch brookies fried cannot be beat for taste. Of course fried potatoes as an accompaniment .

Enjoy fishing with the old smooth slow fen wick fiber glass rods too

Posted By: ribka Re: First Trip of the summer.. - 07/06/15
Nymphs? Dry flies?
ribka, I used wet flies.. The creek was a bit high, but clear.. We are under a flash flood threat now, so I don't look for the fishing to improve in the next week..

I have placed all my newer rods in the attic, and unless something changes, my fishing will be done with the old Fenwicks from here on out.. That brookie fishing is my favorite trout fishing.. Fishing for bass and bluegills is a close second.. Thanks and have a good one..
Posted By: WFR Re: First Trip of the summer.. - 07/09/15
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

[Linked Image]

Yes, I will admit to coming back to this post multiple times to drool over this picture!
Man, that is some fine-looking table fare!
Posted By: ingwe Re: First Trip of the summer.. - 07/10/15
Looking good Wyo!

I gotta get out and after the brookies soon!
ingwe, I am sure your brookies will be much larger than these.. They are a fine fish.. Best of luck and looking forward to some photos..

WRF, hoping to get out again next week.. hopefully more photos will follow..
© 24hourcampfire