Home
Posted By: Steelhead New Guy - 10/17/02
Just a hello. I have found this to be the best forum around, and most of the people seem pretty level headed. I live in Florida now, but I am in the Military and move around a great deal. Just spent 3 years in Alaska, can't wait to go back. You will notice "Steelhead" is my user name, that's because of my passion for Steelhead fishing, not my "Hard" head.
Posted By: 2nd_Amendment Re: New Guy - 10/17/02
Welcome to the best hunting forum on the Internet.
<br>
<br>2nd
Posted By: CAS Re: New Guy - 10/17/02
Welcome from another Newbie.
<br>
<br>I like the handle, I just got back from my annual trip fishing steelhead on the Rogue River in Oregon, so I understand your passion. It's a tough habit to kick.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: New Guy - 10/17/02
Don't rub it in. It has been tough being away from the fishing in Alaska. I would have a river all to my self. It was only a 35 minute hike in, but I only ever saw someone else there 4 times in 3 years. Hope your trip went well.
Posted By: CAS Re: New Guy - 10/17/02
Actually the fishing was pretty slow. We hit the second day of a warm spell that really shut them down. It was sunny and in the 80's every day we fished. I had to get the fly to practically bounce off their nose to get them to hit. Even then they just sort of slurped it in rather than slamming the fly then taking the big run.
<br>
<br>It was a heck of a lot better than being at work though, so I really can't complain.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: New Guy - 10/18/02
Welcome aboard, Steelhead. You'll enjoy your stay here! Really neat place with a bunch of great guys. A lot of experience and info here.
<br>
<br>What base were you stationed at? I'm in Wasilla.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: New Guy - 10/18/02
Wasilla uh, neat place. My last station was about 20 miles outside of Ketchikan, it was the second time stationed there. I was also in Kodiak in the mid 80's so I imagine you can guess what branch I am in.
Posted By: BW Re: New Guy - 10/18/02
Ah geez! Another Coastie. Just what we needed.
<br>
<br>Hide your booze and your women...
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Welcome Steelhead. I've been stationed in Kodiak (92-98) and Sitka (98-present), bet you can guess which 'Service' I'm in too. No boat time, so that should narrow down the Rate. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: New Guy - 10/19/02
Good God, not a rotor-head. Well maybe I should try another forum. Only 1 boat as a non-rate in Kodiak, 5 of the last six have been Loran, you can guess my rate. Sitka is a great town, have you done any Goat hunting?
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: New Guy - 10/19/02
Hey Steelhead,
<br>Welcome! If I had found this board 10 years ago, I might have pre-claimed your handle! Since that time, I have caught many steelhead here in Ak. as well as Wa. Also, since that time I've been struggling with one of the oldest problems faced by an Alaskan resident: fish or hunt bear...fish or hunt bear. Whilst I still do both, the scales have tipped to the obvious side of my slightly more favorite pastime.
<br>best,
<br>bhtr
<br>
Posted By: Steelhead Re: New Guy - 10/20/02
Hello Bearhunter,
<br> I know what you mean, it was a problem I had when living in Alaska, I wish I still had that problem. August deer hunt, salmon, deer. September goat, silvers, up that dang goat mtn again, silvers. October, November Steelhead, deer rut, Steelhead. December set traps, usally I would get some rest in January. Take care.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New Guy - 04/24/16

I want to be one of the first to welcome you...

Welcome aboard!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: New Guy - 04/24/16
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I want to be one of the first to welcome you...

Welcome aboard!

Chuck Norris must be bored today.
Posted By: ingwe Re: New Guy - 04/24/16
I too would like to welcome you aboard Steelie!

You too seem level headed,not at all antagonistic or caustic.

WELCOME!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: New Guy - 04/24/16
Blow me
Posted By: EdM Re: New Guy - 04/25/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
I too would like to welcome you aboard Steelie!

You too seem level headed,not at all antagonistic or caustic.

WELCOME!

grin
Posted By: Prwlr Re: New Guy - 04/27/16
Steelhead reincarnated...... laugh
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: New Guy - 04/28/16
Does this forum make my butt look big?
Posted By: Scott F Re: New Guy - 04/28/16
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Does this forum make my butt look big?

Nope. You but looks big because it is big.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: New Guy - 05/03/16
I think that's the most information I've seen him put into one post in my entire time here.

Wonder what happened?

grin
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Guy - 05/03/16
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I think that's the most information I've seen him put into one post in my entire time here.

Wonder what happened?

grin

He may have little to say, but he says it quite often, having posted here over 15 times per day, on average, over the past 14 years.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: New Guy - 05/03/16
It would be less if it weren't for all the idiots.
See
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Guy - 05/03/16
And you haven't really said anything either.
I can't hit everyone out of the park like you.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: New Guy - 05/09/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can't hit everyone out of the park like you.

Just because you DON'T hit everyone out of the park, doesn't mean you can't. More of a choose not to, I think. wink
Posted By: Steelhead Re: New Guy - 05/13/16
I never get credit for what I don't say, luckily for Shrapnel.
© 24hourcampfire