Home
Posted By: atse 308 bushing size - 01/07/23
Need help in getting the right size bushing for my Redding bushing die. Thought someone might be using them as well. 308 Win. 155 gr scenar, lapua brass. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: drop_point Re: 308 bushing size - 01/07/23
Sometimes it’s a good idea to pick up two or three different bushing and test which one works best for you. Rule of thumb is measure the outside neck of a loaded round with your desired components and subtract 0.002”.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: 308 bushing size - 01/07/23
In case you don't have any loaded yet to measure, the Lapua factory ammo loaded with 155s I have measure 0.338" neck o.d.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 308 bushing size - 01/07/23
I like a Redding TiN .334" there. Hint.............
Posted By: atse Re: 308 bushing size - 01/07/23
Thanks for the help. I have loaded rounds. The issue I have is that I have a cal!iper, but its not a digital caliper.and I wanted a more precise measurement, so I figured that someone was probably already using these brass, bullet, and die combo. I appreciate the input.
Posted By: Remington280 Re: 308 bushing size - 01/07/23
I like a lil more than .002, more like .003-.004.
TiN coated is never a bad thing.
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I like a Redding TiN .334" there. Hint.............
So I measured a loaded round this morning with my callipers( again not a digital one). The brass have been neck turned, not removing a whole lot.. The loaded measurement was .334. Would this still be your recommendation or should I still drop .002?
Posted By: mathman Re: 308 bushing size - 01/07/23
Think about it for a second. The bushing needs to be under the loaded diameter. Looks like you need a .331" bushing.

Something isn't adding up for me. You're in an application where you believe you'll derive a benefit from neck turning Lapua brass, but you don't have a handle on the sizing issue?
Originally Posted by mathman
Think about it for a second. The bushing needs to be under the loaded diameter. Looks like you need a .331" bushing.

Something isn't adding up for me. You're in an application where you believe you'll derive a benefit from neck turning Lapua brass, but you don't have a handle on the sizing issue?
I have been neck turning my brass for years, with improvement in my groups with a 243, and 308. When I rebarreled my 243, the gunsmith had me switch to a bushing die that he set up to solve a run out problem that we were having g with a standard die. On the 308, my son and I are shooting this load out of 2 separate 308s. It shoots good, but we have had just a bit of run out that is showing up at 500,& 600 yds. I thought a bushing die would likely solve that, I just haven't set one up myself. As to the lapua brass. They are very good, but not perfect. I still shave a bit off of most of them when neck turning. Every little bit helps.
Posted By: NMScout308 Re: 308 bushing size - 01/08/23
© 24hourcampfire