Home
Posted By: elim Load development - 01/07/24
Is there anyone in Washington state that I can send a rifle to that can do load development at a cost?
Posted By: elim Re: Load development - 01/07/24
It is a 16" 6.5 creed.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Load development - 01/07/24
elim, Go buy a box of every thing you can find in 6.5 CM and develop your own best round. my 16" CM likes the 143 gr ELD-X, hand loads aren't going to be 1/2" better than most factory loads. Rio7
Posted By: elim Re: Load development - 01/07/24
Problem is I want to shot Hammer 123's
Posted By: Puddle Re: Load development - 01/08/24
Not Washington, at least the wet side anyways. Don't know about the East side.

You might make a quick check with Wayne York at oregunsmithing in Pendelton, OR, or perhaps MOA Rifles in Redmond, OR since you mention 6.5 CM.

HTH
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Load development - 01/08/24
Originally Posted by elim
Problem is I want to shot Hammer 123's

You don't say where at in Washington, but in the south central part of the state, there is an ammo manufacture that no one knows about. Only a few guys here have probably heard of them (Minuteman ammo). They do (or used to do) a lot of their ammo testing at my clubs range in Washington. I used to talk to the owner a lot, but I think they changed ownership, from what I've been told. I know the old owner would have taken you up on your quest. He liked loading and testing different ammo, but mainly specialized in ammo for AR's, and many pistol cartridges. The old owner was very cool, and actually asked for input a few times when I talked to him at the range.

In Oregon, there is also a guy/company called "The Proficient Marksman", that also loads ammo. He's out of Creswell Oregon. It may not work for you, as I believe he has a 500 round minimum order. May be worth a look at though, or maybe ask if he may be able to help you out? I don't know this guy (Mike) personally, but believe I've shot against him at some of my clubs bowling pin matches.

Good luck with your search..
Posted By: elim Re: Load development - 01/13/24
I did not know that Oregunsmithing did this. He built me a stock for my 338 ultra years ago.
Posted By: elim Re: Load development - 01/13/24
I am in Gig Harbor Wa.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Load development - 01/13/24
I may have just gotten lucky...but back when Hammers were all you could find in stock...I bought a box of 6.5, 124 gr Hammer Hunter. I thought, oh boy, here we go, load development with the most expensive bullets on the market. Lacking a lot of data to get started, I pulled the 129 Hornadys and seated the 124 HH on top of the old H4831...bingo, load development was done. Maybe you could get lucky too. I found Hammers to be so much easier than Barnes in .30-06, 8x57, and Swede...no endless fiddling with seating depths and juggling powder choices.
I would think a short Creed would be too easy.
Posted By: elim Re: Load development - 01/14/24
Any powder suggestions for a 16" creed?
Posted By: Citka Re: Load development - 01/18/24
Here is an option on Vashon Island that I’ve used: https://americancustomcartridge.com/
Posted By: Seafire Re: Load development - 01/18/24
Originally Posted by elim
Any powder suggestions for a 16" creed?

barrel that short.... Reloader 7, IMR 4198, IMR 3031...
Posted By: LJBass Re: Load development - 01/20/24
I run H4831 under a 147gr ELD. I haven't looked at a book, but with 123gr bullets, ild check into 4350.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Load development - 01/20/24
Regardless of barrel length, I’d be trying something in the Varget to 4350 range with those 123s.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Load development - 01/20/24
Follow Jordan's advise above, and throw in a some 'Stick advise of "kiss, find pressure, rock on," and you'll be there in a few iterations.

Especially with a 6.5 Creed, its just not that hard.

H4350 and Varget are very temp stable, as well.
Posted By: GTN Re: Load development - 01/21/24
Give Steve at Hammer a call and he will set you on a path to success
Posted By: elim Re: Load development - 01/21/24
Thanks guys. I hope 4350 works I have 8 pounds of that..
Posted By: elim Re: Load development - 01/21/24
Good news Stephen at American Customs says that is just his game.
Posted By: elim Re: Load development - 01/28/24
I talked with Steve from Hammer and have some new powders on the way.
© 24hourcampfire