Home
I bought some reloads from a gun show yesterday for the brass. I pulled these this morning. when I bought them I assumed they were just cast lead, but they are not. They look to be aluminum? A close look shows a small exposed lead core at the tip. They are not hollow points however.
308, 170 grain round nose.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Is that a moly coating?
Try a magnet yet?
What do they look like if you gently polish one with fine steel wool??? and yes, try a magnet.
None matalic. I cam scrape it with a knife and it looks like aluminum, but I can't cut it with that same knife.
Cupro-nickel, perhaps? What cartridge? I saw .308, is that the cartridge or just bullet diameter?
they were 30Remington reloads. I wanted the brass.
Originally Posted by DHN
Cupro-nickel, perhaps? What cartridge? I saw .308, is that the cartridge or just bullet diameter?
This is what I thought
Frangible bullets?
Early Rem-UMC .30-30 and .30 Rem used curponickle jacketed bullets.

[Linked Image from blogger.googleusercontent.com]
I’ve never seen that. What year vintage was that?
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
I’ve never seen that. What year vintage was that?
Based on the condition of the boxes and brass I would guess no later than the 1940s? But that is just a WAG on my part. I think Mag410 and DHN may be correct? IDK. Kinda cool though.
Definitely cupronickel jackets. The tiny bit of lead exposed on the tips is strange though. Cupronickel was universally used up until the WWI era and shortly after. Big PIA because of the fouling it generated in the bore with extended use. Gilding metal like we have today fixed that.
James Calhoun and quite a few others pressure swaged bullets from zinc...some of the material was called Zamac (? sp) used a lot in gears.
The Lone Rangers?
Originally Posted by winston67
The Lone Rangers?

By definition if there's a group of Rangers they wouldn't be "Lone", would they?! grin
Originally Posted by winston67
The Lone Rangers?
I was thinking werewolf bullets 😁
sorry, the lone ranger's
© 24hourcampfire