Home
Not enough lube caused a case to stick, it was my lack of attention. I spent an hour trying to get it out, even drilled through the web to get my expander out. Not much left to grab onto now as it soaks in Liquid Wrench. Ordered a new die on line last night. Is there any way to get the case out after it slips out of the case holder and destroys the rim?
Invest in a stuck case remover.

Why order a new die? Did you damage the other one?
A stuck case remover is much like a gun. When you need them there's nothing else that will do.
Originally Posted by billj
Not enough lube caused a case to stick, it was my lack of attention. I spent an hour trying to get it out, even drilled through the web to get my expander out. Not much left to grab onto now as it soaks in Liquid Wrench. Ordered a new die on line last night. Is there any way to get the case out after it slips out of the case holder and destroys the rim?

I know RCBS will remove a stuck case from their dies if you call and ask politely.
Can't get the case out, slight bend in the expander rod.
you could have sent it here and i would have removed it for you for nothing, 5 min job
This needs to be in every reloaders tool kit

https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/accessories/stuck-case-remover/16-9340.html

No rim needed. Works every time in 5 minutes
If you drilled the case out to remove the expander plug you've probably drilled too big a hole to use the tap that's employed in creating a threaded hole for using a store-bought stuck case removal tool. Perhaps there's enough meat there to tap for a larger bolt than the 1/4-20 normally employed? Maybe a 5/16 or possibly 3/8 threaded hole, and then jerry rig a bolt with a stack of washers and proceed as normal? In future don't drill out to remove the expander, not necessary.

Look at a pic of the RCBS stuck case tool and you'll see how it works and you should be able to execute a workaround with a larger screw. I've removed some stuck cases over the years by using a 1/4" tap, 1/4" bolt and a stack of odds and ends washers - no need to give RCBS any more of your money than necessary!
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If you drilled the case out to remove the expander plug you've probably drilled too big a hole to use the tap that's employed in creating a threaded hole for using a store-bought stuck case removal tool. Perhaps there's enough meat there to tap for a larger bolt than the 1/4-20 normally employed? Maybe a 5/16 or possibly 3/8 threaded hole, and then jerry rig a bolt with a stack of washers and proceed as normal? In future don't drill out to remove the expander, not necessary.

Look at a pic of the RCBS stuck case tool and you'll see how it works and you should be able to execute a workaround with a larger screw. I've removed some stuck cases over the years by using a 1/4" tap, 1/4" bolt and a stack of odds and ends washers - no need to give RCBS any more of your money than necessary!

True Gnoahh, one thing I found is that the 1/4-20 bolt that rcbs supplies isnt long enough to get a really stuck case out as not enough threads catch in the brass. Found that the stack of washers on top with a longer bolt gets in far enough to grab real good. Probably ruin the rod but he’s already done that. Tap and die set and a knack for afro engineering helps.
Ohh, and buy some Imperial sizing wax. Ive only had to use mine once when I tried One Shot.
Those that have, and those that will..
Haha! Truth!
All the storebought stuck case removers were a sales gimmick for tourists and democrats. For '06/.308 family cases, drill out the base with a 21/32" drill, start a 3/8-24 tap threading into the interior case walls. Lubricate a 3/8-24 puller nut, turn it down the tap to pull the case.
if he drilled the case head off i still can remove with a edm but there would be shop charge, at that point he would be better off buying a set of new dies, theres no freebies when using the edm
Looks like I was on the right track with drilling and trying to thread a lag screw into the case. I thought of the tap but mine are all to small for the job. I'll keep pecking at it as I have time, it's still sitting in the vise.
Looks like I was on the right track with drilling and trying to thread a lag screw into the case. I thought of the tap but mine are all to small for the job. I'll keep pecking at it as I have time, it's still sitting in the vise.

Pop it into the freezer for a couple of hours. Brass should shrink slightly which may help removing the stuck case.
PJ
Originally Posted by PJGunner

Pop it into the freezer for a couple of hours. Brass should shrink slightly which may help removing the stuck case.
PJ

Was wondering if anyone would come up with this answer. This is the way I figured out doing it, after ruining brass and ruining some decapping rods....Put the die and case in the freezer for a couple of days.. Then pull it out and put it into a pan of water that I had boiling before hand. Then take it out to the reload bench and put the die in press and normally a punch and rubber mallet takes it right out. Only reason it stays in the freezer for a couple of days, is I am usually on to taking care of all sorts of other things around the house needs my attention, so my wife won't have to pay someone else to do it...which makes her little budget happy.....

Husbands are free labor, non husbands cost her money.....
I finally got my case out of the die in several ragged pieces by running a large drill bit up there until the brass was paper thin. I proceeded to resize 100 well lubed cases without any problems. A shiny new Lee full-length resizer die in 30-06 in a hard plastic case arrived in the mail today. Does anybody need one?
I finally got my case out of the die in several ragged pieces by running a large drill bit up there until the brass was paper thin. I proceeded to resize 100 well lubed cases without any problems. A shiny new Lee full-length resizer die in 30-06 in a hard plastic case arrived in the mail today. Does anybody need one?

lol.....glad you got the brass out!

Invest in a stuck case remover. Whenever you start a sizing operation of ANY sort, put the stuck case remover box next to the press and open the lid in plain sight of the die and press. You will never have a stuck die again. wink

Oh, and use Imperial Die Wax.........
Looking back I should have removed the top nut and put oil or WD-40 in to lubricate the expander ball and pulled like hell to get it out. Then I could have pounded the right size wooden dowel that I didn't have down into the cartridge. I'll have that dowel on hand for the next time but doubt there will be a next time.
Originally Posted by Swifty52

https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/accessories/stuck-case-remover/16-9340.html

what he said

Have one on hand

Some day you'll stick a case
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Invest in a stuck case remover.

This

YouTube is your friend.
Unfortunately I’ve used the stuck case remover too many times over the years. Its use is straight forward.
I have not had to use it lately as I’m using a wax for a sizing lubricant.
Buy the case remover.
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by Swifty52

what he said

Have one on hand

Some day you'll stick a case
I made one with a piece of copper tube. Really don't have any $$ in it since I had everything around the garage anyway.
© 24hourcampfire