Home
Posted By: mrchongo Bulk powders available - 04/18/24
Not a nickel in it, but today American Reloading has several rifle powders available. Get ‘em while they’re hot!
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Bulk powders available - 04/18/24
Have you ordered anything from them in the past?
Posted By: mrchongo Re: Bulk powders available - 04/18/24
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Have you ordered anything from them in the past?
I frequently order bullets. Sometimes primed brass. Never disappointed with product or service. Have never ordered powder, because I have plenty on hand.
Posted By: shaman Re: Bulk powders available - 04/18/24
Rifle Powder without load data?
That sounds like a goat rodeo waiting to happen.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Bulk powders available - 04/18/24
Originally Posted by shaman

Not if you know what you are doing.
Originally Posted by Fotis

A guy has to have at least some idea of the burn rate though.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Bulk powders available - 04/18/24

Like this?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Yes, like that.
Posted By: shaman Re: Bulk powders available - 04/18/24
As they say, the early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese. I'll wait a bit. Please, by all means, y'all go on ahead.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Bulk powders available - 04/21/24
As they say, the early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese. I'll wait a bit. Please, by all means, y'all go on ahead.
I've got at least 3 different pull down powders from AR and I use them in multiple calibers/rifles. And I've yet to blow myself or anything other than the backstop up. It's pretty simple. Take the $200-$250 you save on your first 8 lb jug and buy a chronograph. Start at 10% under your book value minimum for the like powder on the label and work up. OR, keep buying Hodgdon at $70+ a pound.
Posted By: gte901m Re: Bulk powders available - 04/22/24
Makes me wonder if these powders are left over lots from an ammo manufactures, and are in fact the the same powder "as similar".
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Bulk powders available - 04/23/24
Originally Posted by bbassi
Start at 10% under your book value minimum for the like powder on the label and work up.

Sure sounds like starting 20% below max. That could have some unintended consequences.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Bulk powders available - 04/23/24
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Start at 10% under your book value minimum for the like powder on the label and work up.

Sure sounds like starting 20% below max. That could have some unintended consequences.

Yes…….
Posted By: bbassi Re: Bulk powders available - 04/23/24
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

yeah I meant max not min. For example I'm working with the MP625 (Ramshot hunter) and a 3006 shooting 150s. Book has 62.9 max for 3000 fps, so I started at 57 and worked up in half grain increments. I'm at 61.5 getting 2780ish. My goal is 2900 but this powder lot seems slower than the published data for Ramshot Hunter so I'm not sure I'll get there. The same jug used in my 270 and 130 NBT only got me to 2700 at 55 grains but it was shooting sub inch groups with pulled bullets and bulk powder so I stopped there. (book max shows 55.5)The next lot may be completely different but 8 lbs at less than $24/lb delivered goes a hell of a long way for me.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Bulk powders available - 04/23/24
yeah I meant max not min. For example I'm working with the MP625 (Ramshot hunter) and a 3006 shooting 150s. Book has 62.9 max for 3000 fps, so I started at 57 and worked up in half grain increments. I'm at 61.5 getting 2780ish. My goal is 2900 but this powder lot seems slower than the published data for Ramshot Hunter so I'm not sure I'll get there. The same jug used in my 270 and 130 NBT only got me to 2700 at 55 grains but it was shooting sub inch groups with pulled bullets and bulk powder so I stopped there. (book max shows 55.5)The next lot may be completely different but 8 lbs at less than $24/lb delivered goes a hell of a long way for me.

I like your approach 👍
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Bulk powders available - 04/23/24
Good prices on their powders.I compared their start load data to my loading book data for Winchester 780 and it seems to be close.780 is close to Reloader 22 and I was getting low on powder in that burnrate range.For the price,free shipping and hazmat,what the heck,I bought an 8 pounder.

MP 655 Smokeless Rifle Powder – 8 Lbs
$209.99

Specs
SIMILAR TO:

Winchester Supreme 780

TYPE:

Ball

SUITABLE FOR:

243 Win, 270 Win, 30-06, 300 PRC, 300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua Mag

LOT:

300 Win Mag Reference Data

Case – Federal Cartridge

Projectile – 180gr Nosler BT

Charge – 68gr

Velocity – 2689 f/s
Posted By: ihookem Re: Bulk powders available - 04/23/24
I wouldn't have any problem with the off brand powders. About 25 yrs. ago I bought from Patsreloading. One 8lb was H414, H380. I got them for $64 each with tax and shipping . I bought another that was free shipping and it ws $21 for 8 lbs.. It is H870.. Never used it yet. The H414 & 380 jugs are still just fine..
Posted By: jambuster Re: Bulk powders available - 04/24/24
I'm going to give the MP 600 a try .thanks for the info.

They show data for the 6.5 creed and I will talk to them about a starting point for 708's with 130 grain bullets.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Bulk powders available - 04/24/24
I Have had good & poor experiences with American reloading. As long as you get what you ordered, all is fine.

Though when they make an error or what ever you wish to call it, Customer service is close to non existent in my experience. Ordered a 8 lb jug of (similar to IMR 8208) Received the jug & powder did seem essential the same as IMR 8208. Trouble was the jug only weighed 6 lbs & easy had room for another 2 lbs. I attempted to contact them probably 8 times with no luck getting a response. Left me quite sour over that one.

Seen where a number of others on the 65Grendel fourm had similar or same experience with that powder. GRRR
Posted By: Fotis Re: Bulk powders available - 04/24/24

Burn rate is listed It says similar to XXX
Posted By: bbassi Re: Bulk powders available - 04/24/24
Just got an Email saying 15% off powders, free shipping and Hazmat. $180/8 lbs delivered on the W780 equivalent. Hard to beat.
Posted By: Gojoe Re: Bulk powders available - 04/26/24
Not too long ago various bulk powders were relatively commonplace. A
good assortment of burn rates and at discount. I had been considering pickling up a caddy. But they seem to be disappearing.
Sign of the times. I will have a look at the gun show this weekend. Last chance locally to plug a few gaps in my reloading.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Bulk powders available - 04/28/24
Yes, I knew an old man that bought H4350 in a 50lb. keg. He still had some left in 1988. He likely paid $1 lb.?
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Bulk powders available - 04/28/24
Originally Posted by ihookem
Yes, I knew an old man that bought H4350 in a 50lb. keg. He still had some left in 1988. He likely paid $1 lb.?

I know a guy that we were discussing powder about a month back and he told me they used to buy pulled 4831 powder in wooden 50 lb kegs, they would get 100 lbs of powder for $60. They shot a lot of 264 WM and 25-06 and it worked perfect for that.

Powder for 60 cents a lb that was used by a guy just 20 yrs or so older than I am. Seems hard to imagine.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Bulk powders available - 04/29/24
I got my Midwest Powders 655 from American Reloading today.St Marks Powder is supposed to be it's producer. https://www.bing.com/search?q=st+ma...rm=S1GDNO&ptag=N29308&showconv=1 It's supposed to be Supreme 780 equivalent.I had bought a pound of Supreme 780 back around 2010 and still had some left.The grains of powder look the same other than my Supreme 780 has a black sooty color and the MP 655 has a very shiny bright graphite color like what I see on MagPro powder.I took an empty Winchester 30-06 case and filled it to the top,tapping the side as I filled so I could get as much powder as possible in the case and weighed the powder comparing the two powders.Both powders were equal at 72.0gr per full case.I took a picture to show the difference.I have some loads made up to compare the two once the winds die down a little and I can get a chance to get back to the range to compare the two both loaded the same a few grains below max for the cartridge and bullet weight.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Bulk powders available - 04/29/24
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
I Have had good & poor experiences with American reloading. As long as you get what you ordered, all is fine.

Though when they make an error or what ever you wish to call it, Customer service is close to non existent in my experience. Ordered a 8 lb jug of (similar to IMR 8208) Received the jug & powder did seem essential the same as IMR 8208. Trouble was the jug only weighed 6 lbs & easy had room for another 2 lbs. I attempted to contact them probably 8 times with no luck getting a response. Left me quite sour over that one.

Seen where a number of others on the 65Grendel fourm had similar or same experience with that powder. GRRR

I ran into a little bit of the same problem but it all worked out fine. I ordered 8lbs of the MP 570 Accurate 2700 equivalent & 500 of .308 jacketed soft point/w cannelure which I believe are 150 Hornady Interlocks. Great deal.......$210 for the powder, $67.49 for the 500 bullets.

Got an email with the order confirmation and a tracking number tied to that order on the same printout. The order showed both items, the tracking number when I checked it, showed 8 lbs total. Wasn't sure how 8 lbs of powder plus 500 bullets just weighed 8 lbs, but waited until things played out.

Sure enough, order came and it was just the powder. No way to get ahold of them by phone. So on their website I contacted them with their order number and tracking number and explained the situation, as well as did the same in a reply to the email they sent me with all that info in it.

Never heard back from them directly but the next day I had a tracking number for the bullets and the next day it arrived by Fed-Ex Express, so likely overnighted. All's well that ends well. I'll do business with them again when the right deal arises.
Posted By: jambuster Re: Bulk powders available - 05/01/24
Received my MP600 on Monday. It looked good so they said to use N204 data and reduce the load by 10%. I am going to increase the load by 0.5 grains from the bottom till I see pressure signs and establish a range.

I am going to start with the 6.5 Creed. And 140gr Speer Hot Cores, Rem.9 1/2 primers.
© 24hourcampfire