Home
Posted By: bbassi Well that's a first for me! - 04/23/24
Expander ripped the neck off at the shoulder. Must need more neck lube!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Seriously, I usually use Redding neck powder on every other case. This was the first time in 25ish years of reloading?
I know graphite has become popular, but Imperial Wax creates less friction in the brass—in my slightly humble opinion.

Although if you’re at the point of ripping the neck off 🤣 Imperial may not be enough!
Up to last year, I used a Q-tip to apply Imperial wax to the inside of the case necks and that made the drag on the expander ball much less. Then, one way or another I had to remove the lube from inside of the necks.

Over the last year or so, I’ve been using Redding’s dry lube kit with graphite and tiny little balls that lubes the inside of the necks. Much easier to deal with….it doesn’t matter if there’s some graphite left in the neck either..
Originally Posted by bbassi
Seriously, I usually use Redding neck powder on every other case. This was the first time in 25ish years of reloading?

Newer Winchester brass..

General suggestion: Do everything the same on every case.
Posted By: memtb Re: Well that's a first for me! - 04/23/24
For myself, it’s powdered graphite on the inside and Imperial Wax on the outside! memtb

Yet another reason not to pull the expander up through the neck.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Yet another reason not to pull the expander up through the neck.

BS.
Originally Posted by memtb
For myself, it’s powdered graphite on the inside and Imperial Wax on the outside! memtb

When I first started loading, I used graphite on the inside of the necks. Then I learned to make sure the expander was polished very smooth. In factory form, they aren't. Just chuck it up and bring it to a mirror polish, and most of these issues go away. Now I rarely use graphite anymore. Every once in a while I have to repolish the expanders.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Then I learned to make sure the expander was polished very smooth. In factory form, they aren't. Just chuck it up and bring it to a mirror polish, and most of these issues go away. Now I rarely use graphite anymore. Every once in a while I have to repolish the expanders.

^^ this.

I've never seen the neck pulled off a case. I use a Qtip and RCBS case lube. It is a PITA, messy, incurs a couple extra steps to get it off, but it does lubricate well. I've not had an issue.
Posted By: ERK Re: Well that's a first for me! - 04/23/24
I tried graphite and didn’t like it. Now a tale a bore swab and spray it with lube that dries . Lyman or Hornady. It dries by itself so no extra steps necessary. Just my way. Edk
Posted By: CBB15 Re: Well that's a first for me! - 04/23/24
I went back to spray also. Graphite and wax worked well but it was a PITA.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Well that's a first for me! - 04/23/24
It's pretty obvious that the piece of brass had a defect. Brass just doesn't pull apart otherwise.
Originally Posted by TRnCO
It's pretty obvious that the piece of brass had a defect. Brass just doesn't pull apart otherwise.

😳
Logic being used on the fire is not allowed. Brass is never defective, only dies are.

Agree though.
Posted By: hanco Re: Well that's a first for me! - 04/23/24
Never had that happen,
Annealed?
I've never had that happen but have had necks split. Couldn't tell you what caused it but that hasn't happened in a long time. I've Unique lube on A Q tip when it seemed like the expander was pulling hard and problem went away. Mostly though I use One Shot spray and spray opposite side of the case's and down on both side's from about 45* angle getting lube in the neck. Seldom ever a problem.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Well that's a first for me! - 04/23/24
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Annealed?
“Once fired” Remington 😂
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Agreed. I just thought the campfire needed something to debate for a week or so.
Posted By: SLM Re: Well that's a first for me! - 04/23/24
Originally Posted by memtb

When I first started loading, I used graphite on the inside of the necks. Then I learned to make sure the expander was polished very smooth. In factory form, they aren't. Just chuck it up and bring it to a mirror polish, and most of these issues go away. Now I rarely use graphite anymore. Every once in a while I have to repolish the expanders.

And you talk sh it about “complicated unnecessary sh it”.

Don’t have to do 20 trick moves to make a Redding bushing die work.
Then I learned to make sure the expander was polished very smooth. In factory form, they aren't. Just chuck it up and bring it to a mirror polish, and most of these issues go away. Now I rarely use graphite anymore. Every once in a while I have to repolish the expanders.

Gotta agree with BSA on this one…….
Originally Posted by SLM
Don’t have to do 20 trick moves to make a Redding bushing die work.

But sometimes a guy needs a bunch of different (expensive) bushings to find the right neck tension.

A LCD with a selection of (cheap) mandrels sanded down to achieve desired neck tension is easier and can often result in (slightly) straighter necks.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Well that's a first for me! - 04/24/24
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Annealed?
That was my thought. When something shears before it stretches.
Recently I've just been lubing the case neck with a can of Walmart Spray Lube, from the automotive dept, and squirt that on a Q Tip, and twirl it in the neck. Then my last step is to anneal the case neck for 7 second ( 223 cases) face down via a Plumbers torch. Sorta burns off most if not all of the lube I put in the neck.

Been doing this, because of turning a lot of 223 brass once fired range pick up, into 6 x 45 brass.

Seems to be working just fine, and not a lot of expense involved.
I use RCBS lube when using a regular die. Used to use Qtips to apply but some time back I got a bore mop, .22 size I think, that I roll on the lube pad. I have and use Lee collet dies for most of my reloading needs. miles

q
© 24hourcampfire