Home
Posted By: Gojoe Reloading supplies in your area? - 04/26/24
Locally there isn't much to buy in the way of reloading components. How about in your area? I am going to a gun show about 80 miles away in the morning. Just to see if I can buy powder with some selection and seasonal price.
Wish me luck.
Powder and bullets have come back decent around here over the past 6 months or so, but brass and primers are still really thin. I'm still buying most of my supplies online.
Stuff is on the shelves but sky hi prices
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Same here
Some available at local gun shows but pricey, got a good deal last week on LR primers. Powder and bullets generally non-obtainium.
Generally I think I have enough to get by. But I just don't know what the future holds instore. Pricing is one issue, nothing is going to get cheaper. And availability is another thing. Wal-Mart here has a small reloading section. There are tools and dies available, but the component shelves have been empty for a year and a half. The gun shops have firearms and a limited supply of ammo. None of them are interested in reloading in any quantity.I
We will see what the Gun show has.
When it does show up it does not go anywhere.

If its in stock its been sitting on the shelf for 7-8 months now. Most of it, no one is buying even the "popular" powders such as Varget or H4895 etc. etc.

Simply because the prices are just too high.

Its a fact and the the local gun shops are feeling it. Four shops cant move it due to the price gouge.

On 2 different occasions I have seen powder ready to be rung up and then put back due to the cost. They still bought the press and powder measure..Rcbs press and a Redding measure.
Just adding to my stockpile a little each week.

Buying bullets online wherever the price is right.

Local shop is keeping me going back for powder and primers at a fair enough price for today's new normal.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Same here
Ditto,

Went to the local Scheels which opened a couple of weeks ago. Lots of powder, lots of bullets, didn't look at the brass. Shelves were stocked full with primers of all brands and types but lowest prices on foreign primers were $79 brick up to about $110 for match primers. Or maybe a bit more for the match stuff, I wasn't taking a formal survey, just wandering around the firearms section looking at the shiny objects.
People just aren't burning ammo anywhere close to what they were a dozen years ago. At the head of the canyon where I live are some abandoned gold mines on Forest Service property. Excellent safe place to shoot, and the locals have shot there for generations. Clays, sight-ins, pistol/AR mad minute...every weekend families would go up there to shoot...not anymore. The day after Christmas and the week before deer season is all I hear now.
I don't have to buy, but watch things and still do buy some if the price is decent and I can use it.

Generally prices locally right now are too high for me, but I did buy a couple lb's of Accurate 2230 for $39 a lb and some Hybrid 100V for $26.95 a lb. The Accurate because it fit what I wanted to try, and the Hybrid because at that price I can use it.

Primers? I'll likely be pushing up daisy's someday before I ever run out. Both LR and LR magnum. I'm grateful that part of the equation has been off the radar for me, as is bullets for the most part.

Powder is where I watch yet and try to add to what I'll use if the price is right. Just recently bought 8 lbs of the Accurate 2700 equivalent off A.R. for $210. I have some 30-06's to keep feeding and that powder will fit very nicely for that. Cheaper than what I bought powder for starting early in 2020.

Also on the same order got 500 of the pulled 150 gr .308 JSP/W cannelure for $67.49. That comes to $13.49 a box. I looked them over and do not see any pull marks and they sure look like 150 Hornady interlocks to me. Can't beat that with a stick.
Every year Midway has a birthday discount if you have an account. I have gotten some astronomical ammo deals. This year I'm filling my cart, if the price is right I'm grabbing it. Especially the factory seconds bullets. I have never been disappointed by what I received.
Two words.

Not affordable.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Two words.

Not affordable.

Yep, never thought I would see the day that Unique is more expensive than H380 and 4895.
It makes one try new powders outside the comfort zone. I hate it.
We never ran out of everything and the stores always consult me,prior to placing an order. Where we deviate,is that I like multiple 5# and 8# jugs of the same Lot. Hint.

Though in "fairness" I've had 32lbs of powder and 10K Primers "lost" in the mail for better than 2wks,which just did get sorted out today. Hint.

First World "problems",for certain. Hint.

Just sayin'................
Tonto say, Plenty good supply here in Wisconsin Kemosabe... Much Wampum!...
Found a good supply of h4831 that’s a plus👍
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Two words.

Not affordable.

Yep, never thought I would see the day that Unique is more expensive than H380 and 4895.

Its more expensive because of guys like me. who figures out how to use less powder and still find a workable load with it.

They watch what we are doing, and adjust accordingly. You can bet their accountants have it figured out, on what the manufacturer can get away with each time a customer pulls a trigger. They manufacture the price to the consumer in the accounting offices with the marketing guys, what can these people afford for each trigger pull. They are in high cotton since its a sellers market out there, instead of a consumer's market like it was under Trump.

Good example :primers! Average price I paid under Trump was $15 per brick. NOW its 600% higher at least... 6 times the price of 4 years ago. The manufacturers are getting in on all the consumer raping they can get away with...

I'm sure the manufacturers are wanting the DemocRATS to be in the White House, vs a Republican. Under the DemocRATS they can rob and steal to their hearts content. DemocRATS let them get away with it, as I am sure they get kick backs, along with the pricing will curb people's purchasing power....so less ammo on the streets, instead more ammo in the closets waiting to be used later. Ain't hard to figure out how these people think and work.
Not much available around here and what is available is priced sky high......Hb
I have essentially stoped looking locally since 2020 due to price @ availability.
Originally Posted by Swifty52

I know, ain’t that something…..?
I get most of my reloading supplies online, although there is some local availability, and a few months ago bought 2 pounds of Reloder 16 in a local shop. Prices are definitely high though.
I really watch the sales, here and nationwide. While cost is a factor, it comes down to your own determination of how bad you need it. It's not going to get better so you may have to pay more to get what you want. I watch the Nosler Website for blems, here for cases and bullets, powder can be hard but you DO NOT , need 13 different varieties. I went to a gun sale a month ago and LR primers were $150 for a thousand and I passed. Two weeks later I got 1500 for the same price.
I guess if you need them, expensive supplies are better than no supplies. And if you don’t need them, count yourself lucky.
I'm heading out to the gunshow. It's a 75 mile trip each way. Hopefully it will be worth the ride. I give a short price and availability report later.
Just picked up a pound of LeverEvolution at Runnings yesterday.

It was a couple bucks a pound more than the last time I bought it there a few months ago, but I suck down a fair bit of that in my 303 Savage, so I figured I may as well snag it 🤷‍♂️

They did have a few more primers than I'd seen there in a while, but none I am in need of... still very little brass, though.
Went to Cabela's this morning and it was pretty sad, went to Scheels after a 2hr trip to GA Precision for a rifle order and it was night and day as far as inventory of powder and primers. Prices were comparable, just Scheels had stuff in stock.

Friend bought 10lbs of Varget at $59 per lbs and 2000 Fed 205Ms in prep for the rifle he ordered at GAP. They had a pretty good selection of powder and at least SPs, SRs and LPs. Actually had Nosler BTs and ABs in stock.
So I'm back. I counted 15 lbs of powder. Superformance was $59, CFE was $39. And other than some open containers, nothing. One old box of CCI LRP $90 it was the only box there. A few cards of other primers. Ammo was a surprise, most of the common calibers 30-06, 308, 270,30-30 could be had for $30. Lots of 45/70 for some reason. The only score for.me was an open box 250 Nosler 168 grain 30 cal bullets $50.
I don't know if it was worth the drive but good to get out anyway.
In my area? I always find good/great deals. And yes, you are right, it's good to just get out..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Scored on some barnes a few months back:
That's just a little bit of what's been in my area. Not counting all the matchgrade 22lr I've been buying for cheap..

That store has a chidt ton of brass right now too.
Where the hell you find them red box noslers?
Where the hell you find them red box noslers?

I find them occasionally at gunshows, or the shops I visit. Some of the shops I go to, buy estates of ammo and reloading components and resell them. Those solid base bullets have always shot well for me, and also work great on deer, so when I find them like that, I buy them. I found a partial box (20 bullets) of partitions for 95 cents the other day too, but figured I'd just show the pics of unopened stuff that I found at great prices. There's all kinds of stuff out there, you just have to be willing to drive around a little bit. You ask about the old Noslers, but those old Barnes Originals are pretty cool too, and at $15/box, they were hard to say no to. The 30 cal 250gr pills are more of a novelty item, and I have 2 full boxes of them now.
Nice
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
I have essentially stoped looking locally since 2020 due to price @ availability.

Prior to that, I can’t recall ever buying powder or primers anywhere except locally. Bullets OTOH and what ammo I purchased instead of loaded, have been almost totally purchased online because local stores seldom have what I want. They’ll have something, but just can’t keep a truly wide selection on hand. About the middle of 2020, when things began to get tight, I looked around online and found powder and primers that filled in the cracks for me and ordered up. Since then, I bought one brick of fairly pricey CCI 41s online, and a pound or two of powder locally. The only ammo I buy local is an occasional flat of shotshells for clays if I happen to be someplace that has them for $100, pretty much what I pay online including delivery.

I’ve bought (and sold) some bullets here, and some .22 Hornet brass from that Barsness character…
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Hunterapp

Prior to that, I can’t recall ever buying powder or primers anywhere except locally. Bullets OTOH and what ammo I purchased instead of loaded, have been almost totally purchased online because local stores seldom have what I want. They’ll have something, but just can’t keep a truly wide selection on hand. About the middle of 2020, when things began to get tight, I looked around online and found powder and primers that filled in the cracks for me and ordered up. Since then, I bought one brick of fairly pricey CCI 41s online, and a pound or two of powder locally. The only ammo I buy local is an occasional flat of shotshells for clays if I happen to be someplace that has them for $100, pretty much what I pay online including delivery.

I’ve bought (and sold) some bullets here, and some .22 Hornet brass from that Barsness character…

On bullets, same in the last 5 yrs. Big purchases have been online when I seen a deal.

Primers I've never ordered online. Was fortunate to be able to stock up locally at good prices before the high prices hit. Powder, made my first online order ever recently for 8 lbs because it is now cheaper than what I could buy anywhere locally.

I try to stay in the mindset that I don't need anything and wait for deals. Recently on the classifieds here for $150 shipped I bought in a lot being sold together, 2 bags of 358 Winchester brass, a RCBS 358 Win die set, a box of .358 Speer 180 FP, and a bag of 200 count 35 cal bulk bullets that I recognized as the impossible to find Remington 200gr RNCL bullets.

At a local flea market the first table I walked up to and the first guy I talked to I sold the brass and die set for $100. So now I have just $50 into 3 more boxes of 35 Rem bullets which was what I was after when I bought it.
Stores around here are pretty well stocked except for primers. Most of them are kept behind the counter so I don't really know about them. The prices on everything are sky high! Hornady was the first brand of bullets that I saw but there are a few others now. The display cases and the racks behind the gun counters are well stocked.
© 24hourcampfire