Home
Posted By: Ward Hogdon 1000 - Love it & Hate It - 07/09/07
In the 7mm Rem Mag, .300 WIn and, now, .270 Weatherby this has proven to be one of the best powders I've tried. Velocities equal or exceed that produced by other powders and accuracy is better than most. BUT loading data seems to vary a lot for this powder. 7mm Rem Mag loads were barely over the book minimum when I hit 3000 FPS with 160 gr Partitions and quit. I did fire a couple rounds that were 2.5 gr over the book minimum and gor ejector marks on the brass. In the .300 Win Mag and .270 Weatherby, the loads producing a reasonable velocity vary from book loads (both higher and lower) more than with other powders I've worked with. Load manuals also seem to vary a lot. Anybody else have this problem with H1000? TIA, Ward
What I learned recently is H1000 powder is actually ADI AR2217 made in Australia , sold to Hodgdon and repackaged as H1000. If bought as Ar 2217 it is 69.00/ 8 lb bottles, thru http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7348&dir=278|283|313
So how did you find that out???
Is there any way to verify this? I've been considering some slower burning powder in this range, & a good deal would be nice.. I could buy both and chrono it, but if someone's allready done it, better for us..

eta-After following the link to the site for loading data, it sure does look similar. Dang the haz-mat charges! Any other DFW guys looking to make a group buy, to split-up the cost of shipping???
At the bottom of this page it lists ADI powders and their Hodgdon equivalents. http://www.6mmbr.com/reloading.html

-- Scott
Thanks for the link. Very good infomation, for sure..
H-1000 was originally developed for hogdons and supplied to them by scotlands ICL Nobel power company. This is according to Sam Fadala in one of the propellant profile articles in handloader. If they have changed to a Australian supplier perhaps this explains the swings in load data.
I checked the msds sheet to verify the original manufacturer of H1000. http://www.hodgdon.com/smokeless/msds-extruded.php after finding the powder at wideners. I just bought a keg and am going to try chronoing both. I will give a report as soon as it stops raining and the range isn't knee deep at the 100 yard line! I think I am starting to develop web feet!
Good let us KNOW
THanks
I've never found it to be "hotter" than the manuals say. Ejector marks are not a good measure of pressure at any time in my book. I'm not saying it can't happen that it could be pretty hot but I've gone through several lots and found it to be one of the most consistant powders I've ever bought.
For me my quickload program has predicted it "right on the money"....you may want to get someone to run some quickload info for you on your different cartridges.
From my experience, if you want medium to mildly hot loads in a 300 win mag with extrememly good accuracy and consistancy. It's the only powder to use with 180, 190, and 200gr. bullets.
+ 1 on h-1000 with a .300 win. and 180's up!
Jim
I used it in Africa to kill 7 animals with 9 shots. Using 82 grains and the 168 gr TSX.
IMO it is the 7mm Mag data that varies a lot! I would try 4831SC if I were you.
whelennut

Count me as an H-1000 fan...........[Linked Image]
It's the single best powder I've tried in my 7mmRM.Probably the only powder I'll load in it at this point.
Ive went from RL19 and RL22 to Retumbo in the 7mmRMs.

Great velocity, ES, SDs.
H-1000 is the one for my Weatherby in 7mm Remington mag. Tried a lot of other powders but nothing shoots even close to H-1000. In my rifle with 140, 150, 160 grain bullets it cannot be beat.
Ward, what loads are you running in the 270 wby? I am thinking of trying it, so far I have been sticking with 7828, great velocity.
It's also my powder of choice for the 300 Win mag...I've switched from R22 which was also very good. I feel the H1000 is more consistant.
Does anyone have any experience with h1000 and a 7WSM shooting 140's?
I have had good success with H1000 in both the .25-06 and .270 winchester. It is one of my favorite powders.
83 grains with a 220 grain Partition in a 300 Win Mag is a pretty fast, flat shooting and accurate load....

it also wollops the crap out of something when it hits it...

MV is about 2975 fps out of my Browning A Bolt...
Update on RL2217 used in place of H1000. I loaded 3 rounds with 88 grains 200 grain partitions of H1000 for my 300 ultra mag, I loaded 3 with the same bullet with 88 grains of rl 2217. Both shot .5 or less and within 14 fps . The RL2217 powder also was used in a 7mmSTW with excellant results as well.
Great, now where can I find some of this RL2217 powder as the place in TN says they are out.

CK
© 24hourcampfire