Home
I am attempting to work up a load for my partners 30-378. He has in the past had someone reload 180 gr Ballistic tips but 2 years ago we found that ballistic tips do not work well mule deer as they explode on impact. So I loaded a few accubond 180's and his next trip, had success with Ab's on muleys and an Elk. Well his gun has never grouped smaller than 1.5", so I figured that if I could make my 300RUm shoot 3 shot groups of .25, I could work up a load for his gun to do the same. Well I worked up a ladder load of h1000 starting at 105 grains(per hodgdon load data) stepping up .5 grain increments to 111 grains. At 107 grains, I could get 2 rounds to shoot .5 then a third would be a flyer out at 1.5". 107.5 would act about the same and 108 would begin to open up. We always start with clean barrel , shoot a fouling shot and then go to work. I can't seem to understand the flyers. I do not know the number of rounds that have been down the tube and I really doubt that the barrel is shot out as it consistantly shoot 1.5 inches. Has anyone else had this simular problem? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your replied.
I used to use H-870 in my 30-378 over a 165gr pill. I would tell your buddy to just make sure the first two shots count. That way the third one is not needed. Everything I shot with it was mashed on bullet impact.

CK
I had a 338-378 that would do the same thing. After 2 fouling shots and letting the barrel cool back down the next 2 shots would touch at 100 but the 3rd was always off a little. For me to correct the 3rd shot flyer with my rifle I had to wait a while longer before firing the 3rd shot.
I loaded 101.9 gr of IMR 7828 with a 180 gr Swift for a friend of mine and this seemed to work preety good for him. Never heard him complain about any flyers.
101.9.........huh?

Dober
I am going to try a differnt bullet and powder and see whay happens,
© 24hourcampfire