Home
Posted By: tomd2 Which Bullet? - 12/07/07
I recently acquired a 7mm-08 and all the prior owner's reloading stock. He had numerous reloads, and I want to settle on just one. There is a new box of Nosler/Winchester ballistic silvertips(black) and some Sierra Pro hunters, along with loaded versions of each. Both shoot equally accurately in the gun. The question is which is the preferred bullet, or are they both good. I shoot 60 to 100 pound whitetails at ranges from 25 to 300 yards.
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Which Bullet? - 12/07/07
Tom welcome to the Fire!

On the choice of bullets either one will do you just fine. Seriously just choose the one you like as what one will do the other will do equally well.

Dober

Posted By: FC363 Re: Which Bullet? - 12/07/07
sounds like the black tips are Swift Scirocco's. The Sierra is a softer bullet and will work well. I would send some over a chronograph to see which one would shoot flatter if there is a chance at a 300 yard shot.
Posted By: Big Sky Re: Which Bullet? - 12/07/07
For the size of deer you are shooting and at those ranges, it makes no difference. Flip a coin and enjoy. Methinks you'll enjoy that 7mm08.
Posted By: GregW Re: Which Bullet? - 12/07/07
Can't like Ballistic silvertips as they are very messy, especially on big game...

Make mine choice the Pro-Hunters...
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Which Bullet? - 12/07/07
As said, either will work fine. Load a few of each and see which shoots best in your rifle.

FWIW, I use 140 gr BT's in mine, and love them! I get complete pass-throughs on whitetails.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Which Bullet? - 12/08/07
They are both good bullets.
Posted By: TRUBLUE Re: Which Bullet? - 12/09/07
Both those bullets are questionable penetrators on big deer but dynamite on small ones.I agree with Coldbore,spend some time shooting groups from each on the bench and use the most accurate one for your hunting and enjoy!
© 24hourcampfire