Home
I want to get my wife used to her 30-06 and was wondering if any of you guys have ever used Blue Dot or Unique with jacketed bullets for a light recoiling plinking round to enhance familiarization with rifle/scope/target acquisition/trigger break.

Any information would be helpful. I have used some Unique in 30-06 with a 125 gr gas checked cast bullet, but was wondering how it would work with jacketed bullets.

Thanks.
Well, with the usual warning to use at your own risk, I've fired hundreds of 150 grain jacketed bullets from my own '06 with 16.5 grains of Unique, as well as hundreds of the same 150 grain jacketed with between 18 to 22 grains of Blue Dot. The Unique load is quieter, softer on the recoil and ran (best as I can remember) ran about 1850fps, while the Blue Dot was more like 2200-2300, a noticeable difference.

One MUST be VERY CAREFUL when loading these reduced loads so as not to double charge.

Bullets were various makers, even Midway bulk packaged, from spitzers to RN to FN. All were shot for practice only on paper, no animals were attempted with either of these loads.
Thanks, and I love your codicil -- no animals were injured in the making of these loads. laugh grin

BTW, I used 14 gr of Unique with the 125-130 gr cast GC loads and was getting about the 1950 fps area. Pretty consistent bullets as I recall.
It would 'work' of course but tend to be position sensitive if the rifle is tipped forward or back. We used kapok as a filler with scheutzen loads to hold reduced charges back.

The best powder for reduced loads in my opinion is IMR's SR 4759. It was invented and is made for reduced loads in rifle cartridges. #4759 has twice the bulk of normal powders and will fill many cases more than half way with its 'reduced' charge.

Use 4759.

[Linked Image]
I think I have an 8 oz can of that stuff as well, and it is the same size dimensionally as a one pound container of rifle powder.
5744 works well
Unique and the Speer Plinker. It yields a mild load and minute of squirrel's head accuracy.
I've loaded 18.0 gr Unique under Nosler 168 BTHP. 1900 fps, 40K pressure, 55% load density.

Accurate enough to hit clay birds at 400 yards about 50% of the time. Super soft recoil and not much noise.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
5744 works well

Have some of that too, Scott. I use it for cast bullets in 45-70 and 405 Win. Works quite well. I think I am using 25 gr with a 405 gr home cast in the 45-70, and the same with a 300 gr cast in 405 Win. Any idea where I should start with 150's in the '06??
Same
A man of few words. grin

Thanks.
I also am a fan of SR4759 for reduced loads in rifle cartridges. I have used it in several cartridges, most extensively the 30-06.

Speer #10 recommends: 20 gr 4759 with a 150 gr bullet for 1620 fps.
..................... 22 gr 4759 with a 150 gr bullet for 1786 fps.
..................... 24 gr 4759 with a 150 gr bullet for 1957 fps.

I used to shoot a lot of ground squirrels with the 06. My favorite bullet for that job was the 110 gr Speer varminter HP.

17 gr of 4759 will push it to about 1600 fps from a rifle barrel and you will not find a more pleasant load to shoot.
Thanks to all. Lots of loads and ideas.
I've used Bluedot with good success in my 308 and 6.5x55. It has some characteristics that may make it a better choice than Unique though Seafire is a better person to speak to the subject. If he doesn't chime in, you might send him a PM.
While having done a lot of work with Blue Dot, to included the beloved 06.. seafire jr is hunting this season ( at 14 yrs old) with an 06 for the first time.. last season he used a 243 with 21 grains of Blue Dot and a 100 grain Rem Corelokt...

The rifle is an ABolt with a synthetic stock... after taking him out and letting him shoot a lot of powder and bullet combos, he seemed to like the 25 grains of SR 4759 and 125 grain Ballistic Tip the best, so that is what he is going to be carrying this season..

haven't had a chance to chronograph it yet for the MV...

the Blue Dot load was a little more accurate, but the SR 4759 was certainly more than Minute of deer out past 200 yds..

also tried 4198, 5744, RL7, 2400, H 4895... he liked the SR 4759 one, because it seemed to have the least amount of recoil to him...

any reduced load rounds are safe, if you can use a powder scale and ALWAYS seat the bullet before moving onto the next case....

and don't let the wife disrupt you when you are reloading with the usual " oh honey can you help me with this, it will only take a minute..." wives and reloading don't go very well together, because they just don't get it that you can't drop what you are doing in the middle of it...then they get all pissed off if you don't...
Seafire, What would be the max load for a 150 grain bullet out of an '06 using Bluedot?
I've used unique in the 35 whelen and found it provided nice accurate and mild loads.

As to position sensitivity, it isn't unless you load way down to sub 10 gr and ~700 fps loads.

As an example of how consistant Unique can be, in my 350 rigby I found 14 gr of unique would drive a 200 gr cast ~1400 fps. The suprising part was a 10 shot string had an extreme spread of 10 fps for the velocity. The 50 yd group was ~1" for 10 shots.

I've used blue dot in the .308, and it is amazingly accurate and mild.

Arrrgh! I just checked and I must have given the 4759 away as well as the Unique. Stuck with 5744 and Blue Dot. I'll try some 5744 first with the 134 gr cast gas check -- 22 gr. Then I'll try some Blue dot with 150 gr Nosler Solid bases. Any suggestion as to a starting load with the Blue Dot, Seafire?
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Arrrgh! I just checked and I must have given the 4759 away as well as the Unique. Stuck with 5744 and Blue Dot. I'll try some 5744 first with the 134 gr cast gas check -- 22 gr. Then I'll try some Blue dot with 150 gr Nosler Solid bases. Any suggestion as to a starting load with the Blue Dot, Seafire?

sorry Brother Keith...
don't have a clue, eh?

Blue Dot Range Report: 30/06 Springfield

Rifle Used: Winchester Model 70

Barrel Length; 24 inch

Case Remington
Primer: CCI Large Rifle

150 grain Remington SP: Case: Remington, CCI/LR Primer, OAL: 81.36mm

21 grs: 2057 fps
22 grs: 2180 fps
23 grs: 2225 fps
24 grs: 2272 fps

25 grs: 2363 fps
26 grs: 2421 fps
27 grs: 2422 fps
28 grs: 2512 fps

Consider 27 grains as max load for reliable brass life. Recoil was greatly reduced, ( guestimate of 50% or more!) Accuracy was excellent in my Winchester Model 70. There are a lot of good bullets available that would work well at these velocities. My favorite is the ballistic tip and the 150 grain round noses. The 150 grain FN meant for the 30/30 would also be a good bullet. Speer�s Magtip also does an excellent job.

I would not hesitate to use these loads on any deer. At 24 grains, a 3.5 inch high zero at 100 yds, would be close to dead on at 200 yds. Penetration is a lot better than most people would believe reading modern ballistic charts.
Good shot placement, and you would be surprised what these loads will do.

I have taken an Elk, ( cow) at 175 yds, that weight 650 lbs on the hoof. She was taken at a broadside shot at a dead gallop. The load was a 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, with an MV of 2250fps. The bullet penetrated all the way thru and was lodged on the far side under the hide. It destroyed both lungs and the liver, while cutting the esophagus in half also. The Elk cow went 50 yds and expired.

This load was not being carried to try and prove a point. As typical in hunting, the wrong ammo got packed for the trip, in the rush to get going.
It was all I had with me, which meant use it, or NOHunt! I decided to hunt.
90 minutes or less, I had the Elk down!

165 grain Sierra SP: Fed 210 Primer, Win Brass, OAL: 82.50 mm

20 grains: 1852 fps
21 grains: 1894 fps
22 grains: 1986 fps
23 grains: 2047 fps

24 grains: 2102 fps
25 grains: 2157 fps
26 grains: 2228 fps

I recommend stopping at 25 grains. 26 grains gave a few stiff bolt extractions.

180 grain Remington SP: Fed 210 Primer, Win Brass, OAL: 80.85mm

20 grains: 1762 fps
21 grains: 1814 fps
22 grains: 1882 fps
23 grains: 1955 fps
24 grains: 2022 fps
25 grains: 2076 fps.

The Nosler Ballistic tip would be a GREAT bullet in these applications, due to it being able to open up at low velocities and be deadly on game. I prefer Round Nose bullets or bullets like Speers Mag Tip also in reduced loads.
Honorable mention will go to 170 grain 30/30 bullets from multiple manufacturers that were design to work in this velocity ranges.

Accuracy with all weights were exceptional.

Originally Posted by RickyD
Seafire, What would be the max load for a 150 grain bullet out of an '06 using Bluedot?

I myself, use either 24 grains or 25 grains depending upon bullet.. some will take 25 easily and some give the occasional stiff bolt lift, so I go with 24 grains...

I have tested it up to 28 grains... see results above post...

Was at the range today, zeroing the scope on Seafire Jr's 06...

25 grains of SR 4759 and 110 grain RN/SP hornady's turned in some pretty darn tight groups at 100 yds, with a simple 4 power scope...

he'll use the 110s for practice ( only because I have a ton of them....) and then we will move up to 125 TNTs or 125 ballistic tips for hunting season...
Thank-you, Sir. Living in the hinterland up here, it is sometimes a little difficult to get the components and information that you either want, like, or need.

And I am one of the few Canuckians that rarely if ever use "eh", huh? wink

Again, thanks. Not looking for a hunting load, just a practice load. I don't like to see purplish-yellow bruises on my wife.
In the two calibers I worked with using Bluedot I found the accuracy load close to the top of Seafire's recommended max. I know every rifle is different but that was the case in both of mine.

My 12 year old daughter had no problem with the 130 grain 308 loads and shot them well with no flinching. I was, and will continue to be amazed at how well the Bluedot loads shot out of a barrel that appeared to have lost it's accuracy. They shot better than when it was in top form.
Hey Seafire,

How did you get started with Blue Dot? Where did you decide what load to start with?
Look for Seafire Blue Dot data on the web.
Accurate Reloading Forums had listings of several different calibers he worked up with Blue Dot.

I made a loading to match Remington's "Reduced Recoil" using Hornady 130 bullet and 2?.? of Blue Dot. Quick load says I should be getting about 2400 fps and there is little recoil.

13.5 grains of 2400 and a 115 cast boolit will give one about
1550 fps (chronographed data) and one hole at 50 yards for 5 shots.

I would suggest a few hundred rounds of unique or 2400 or similar powder under a light cast boolit sized about 0.309- 0.310" with good ear protection.

As some one said above be EXTRA careful with the highly reduced loads as some could be a TRIPLE charge and easily fit in a case. That is the beauty of Sefire's loads with Blue Dot, a double charge will be easily detected.

Good luck and if you get to shooting an accurate cast boolit load with reduced charges you may find "plinking " with the aught six to actually be fun
Just a quick update. I loaded some Hornady 150 gr FB bullets with 20 gr of Blue dot and seated them to the cannelure. Took them out today and was able to hold minute of pop can at 35 yards off hand. That's just what I wanted for my wife.

I also tried some 134 gr RNL GC bullets with 22 gr of AA5744, and they also held real well. Minute of pop can again at 35 yards. Less recoil with th AA5744 and the lead bullet that the Blue Dot load with the 150 grainer, but they were both real sweet.

Thanks to those who contributed. Got what I was looking for . . . . . . AGAIN! wink
Originally Posted by Seafire
The Nosler Ballistic tip would be a GREAT bullet in these applications, due to it being able to open up at low velocities and be deadly on game. I prefer Round Nose bullets or bullets like Speers Mag Tip also in reduced loads.
Honorable mention will go to 170 grain 30/30 bullets from multiple manufacturers that were design to work in this velocity ranges.

Accuracy with all weights were exceptional.

Seafire - sorry for the necro-post, but your findings really interest me! Have you ever tried Berger hunting bullets with these mild Blue Dot loads? I figure they were designed to open up at quite low velocity so they should work ok, no? The added benefit is the slightly flattened trajectory and higher retained energy. It seems to me that such a combo would be a winner.
I haven't tried the Berger admittedly.. but if you have some, I am sure a local tree or two would give you the info you are looking for.. I typically look for what the exit looks like on a diameter of 10 inches or so of wood....

if I have a big exit, with wood blown into strips about 6 to 8 inches above and below the exit hole, then I consider that good to go..

yesterday I was testing some 90 grain ballistic tips, with an MV of 3400 fps, into a pine or two at 100 yds....all I can say is WOW!!! now I have to evaluate if the load might be too quick, and result into a lot of blood shot meat on a blacktail..

would definitely take down a good sized cow elk...or a black bear of good size... the exit looked like the back of the pine had been hit with a rocket launcher...
Just for additional information, my old Dupont Handloader's Guide lists the 150 gr. bullet in the '06 with a maximum of 31 grs. of SR 4759, 30 grs. for IMR 4227 and 38 grs. for IMR 4198. Velocities run 2365 fps for 4759, 2310 fps. for 4227 and 2600 fps. for 4198. All of these are maximum loads at 50,000 CUP. E
Suprised no one yet has said anything about Trialboss yet it does work well for many
Trail Boss duplicates black powder loads, or around 1200 to 1300 fps max...its a bulky alternative to Unique.

Blue Dot will duplicate 30/30 velocities in a lot of calibers say from 257 Roberts and up, with deer bullets commonly used..

SR 4759 will give you a little more...

4227 is most accurate with 223 sized cases on down, same as 2400..

4198 kinda picks up where 4759 starts topping out..

all are good for reduced recoil and reduced velocity, yet can be loaded up to say the pressures used in old per 1898 Mausers...
Seafire - how do the gr/cc compare of SR 4759, Blue Dot, and 4198 compare? I'm going to try and find some accurate ~2400-2600fps loads in my 7mm RM and .30-06 using 120-150gr jacketed bullets. I noted your Blue Dot loads from the 7mm RM thread, and they look pretty darned good.
Heres another question on this subject. My 8yr old son wants to shoot "Daddys" 30.06
I have some Speer 110gr RN Carbine bullets and Unique and Hercules 2400. Blue dot is nowhere to be found here right now.
Just looking for something that will punch holes in paper at 50yds and maybe armadillos or coyotes one day
What would be a good load for this?
Great topic, thanks for all the load info!
I'd try some of the cast bullet data for those powders. Just keep in mind that you should be very careful approaching the maximum listed loads for them. Cast lead bullets generate, usually, less pressure than jacketed bullets.
For Unique with a 122 gr. cast bullet, starting load is 13 grs. for 1824 and max is 18 grs. for 2207 fps.
For 2400, starting load is 18 grs. for 1685 fps. and max is 32 grs. for 2617 fps.
Frankly, since maximum for a 110 gr. jacketed bullet with IMR 4227 is also 32 grs., I'd stay away from the maximum load listed here with 2400. E
Let’s get this topic going again. Found a sweet deal on a Browning AB-3 in ‘06. I like the A-Bolts. I have one in 7mm-08 that shoots lights out. I tore the ‘06 down for a good scrubbing, ran some J-B bore paste through the scummy barrel and mounted a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 in Talley Lightweights. Found some Blue Dot at my LGS and a box of Sierra 110 gr HPs on a shelf of my loading bench. Here is the result of ten rounds at 27.0 grains. I’ll take it! (I’m blaming the two flyers to the right on the AR-10 with muzzle brake at the next bench to my left.)
Have fun!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Mr Chongo...

keep your max charge weight with Blue Dot in the 06 at 25 grains...

Blue Dot and other pistol and shot gun powders DO NOT have the same characteristics as rifle powder. Learned this after a lot of load development... like in the way 10s of thousands...

Max charge for a 110 grain Bullet or a 180 grain bullet I recommended the max at 25. At times it will be fine over that charge and other times NOT. I am sure there are a lot of variables as why. Just experience speaking as I have pushed Blue Dot beyond the limits to find out what those are... and then recommend a lower charge that I've found to be reliable each and every time.

I've got some rifles I have shot thousands upon thoughts of Blue Dot loads thru, especially varmint calibers. Some summers I have shot as many as 8000 Blue Dot loads at sage rats for a season. 5000 plus has been the average. I burn a ton of Blue Dot and still do... Never wore out a barrel and I've got a couple of 223 bolt actions ( all I shoot ) that have 20K, some 25K and some 30 K down the barrel all with Blue Dot loads, and they can still hold minute of sage rat ( or minute of pop can or pop bottle) if you're back east and have no idea what a sage rat is... ( I'm from back east, Virginia )

Keep in those boundaries I've listed and tested plenty times... and you'll be just fine...

also, charge a case and then seat a bullet, before going onto the next one... if you get interrupted and you're in the middle of charging a case, empty the powder out and turn it upside down. Don't leave the load bench in the middle of charging a case. That has not worked out real well for others... it has blown up a rifle or two over the years....

but doing it my way.. never a problem...its your rifle and your head... so chose wisely is what I usually tell folks.

other than that its economical, fun and stretches lives of barrels and rifles out dramatically.
Originally Posted by Seafire
Mr Chongo...

keep your max charge weight with Blue Dot in the 06 at 25 grains...

Blue Dot and other pistol and shot gun powders DO NOT have the same characteristics as rifle powder. Learned this after a lot of load development... like in the way 10s of thousands...

Max charge for a 110 grain Bullet or a 180 grain bullet I recommended the max at 25. At times it will be fine over that charge and other times NOT. I am sure there are a lot of variables as why. Just experience speaking as I have pushed Blue Dot beyond the limits to find out what those are... and then recommend a lower charge that I've found to be reliable each and every time.

I've got some rifles I have shot thousands upon thoughts of Blue Dot loads thru, especially varmint calibers. Some summers I have shot as many as 8000 Blue Dot loads at sage rats for a season. 5000 plus has been the average. I burn a ton of Blue Dot and still do... Never wore out a barrel and I've got a couple of 223 bolt actions ( all I shoot ) that have 20K, some 25K and some 30 K down the barrel all with Blue Dot loads, and they can still hold minute of sage rat ( or minute of pop can or pop bottle) if you're back east and have no idea what a sage rat is... ( I'm from back east, Virginia )

Keep in those boundaries I've listed and tested plenty times... and you'll be just fine...

also, charge a case and then seat a bullet, before going onto the next one... if you get interrupted and you're in the middle of charging a case, empty the powder out and turn it upside down. Don't leave the load bench in the middle of charging a case. That has not worked out real well for others... it has blown up a rifle or two over the years....

but doing it my way.. never a problem...its your rifle and your head... so chose wisely is what I usually tell folks.

other than that its economical, fun and stretches lives of barrels and rifles out dramatically.
Thanks for chiming in, Seafire! I've read many of your helpful posts on reduced Blue Dot loads. I'm grateful for all of that input.

PS: BTW, I started at 24.0 grains and shot ten rounds each at 24.0, 25.0, 26.0 and 27.0. Accuracy was best at 27.0, with no pressure signs at any level.
I've shot hundreds of cast bullet loads in my .35 Whelen using Unique, it is very accurate. Don't see why it would not work as well in .30-06, it would be my powder of choice for a plinking load.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I've shot hundreds of cast bullet loads in my .35 Whelen using Unique, it is very accurate. Don't see why it would not work as well in .30-06, it would be my powder of choice for a plinking load.
I have loaded '06 with 150 grain Berry's plated as well as 173 grain FNGC cast over 14-16 grains of Unique. Great fun! I have some 200 grain .359" RNGC that I could feed to my M98 .35 Whelen. Care to suggest a suitable Unique load?
© 24hourcampfire