Home
I'm looking at a box of TSX's I bought last winter and I'm thinking of doing some load experiments with 'em in my 308's... but I don't have the Barnes manual and can't get it for at least a week.

Anybody have some pet loads for this bullet and caliber?
48grs of varget gets me 2900fps from a 23" pacnor tube. I jump them .050 as recommended by Barnes and they are better 168 match out of two of my rifles.

This is the last group fired, its a little bigger than usual but I was checking a scope and fired one round at 2x, 4x and 7x. smile

[Linked Image]
Doc, don't over look R-15 or 4064. I have even had good luck with IMR 4895. The one thing i do different than most with any TSX, i start with the TSX barely touching the lands and seat progressively deeper. Most of the time i am have a much longer OAL than what Barnes says will shoot.Seating in this fashion allows me to start from a known point and work in a progressive manner. I usually work by seating .005 deeper in the case with each additional 3 shot group. If seating to the lands won't fit the mag then start with the max length of the mag box and then seat progressively deeper if necessary. The one knock on the TSX i have always had is that i have found them inconsisitent in accuracy from one lot to the next and even sometimes from one day to the next with the same loads. I love their performance and when they shoot good they can't be beat.
Bill
i just shot a 5 shot group yesterday of the same bullets over 57 grs of imr4350, 3/4" at 100 yds out of my 1903 mauser i bought at a pawn shop. loading for this gun i seated the bullets .050 from the lands, and they shot way better than the ones that actually fit in the magazine. i can fit one in the box, and one in the tube. i am confident enough in my shooting that i will only need one, but i do have one for backup if i need it. plus i have one of those shell holders on my stock just in case.
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I'm looking at a box of TSX's I bought last winter and I'm thinking of doing some load experiments with 'em in my 308's... but I don't have the Barnes manual and can't get it for at least a week.

Anybody have some pet loads for this bullet and caliber?

150 TSX or TTSX / 46.5 RL 15 / WW Brass / Fed 210 / 2,870 fps 22" bbl.
Why so slow Brad?? Do the Barnes bullets eat up that much "Boiler Room?"

Just curious... My Kimber Montana runs 165 Partitions and Speers 2761 AVG (Lapua case, Fed 210M, 165 Partition, 45.5 grains Varget) and its spooky accurate too. I was into the mid 2900's with 150 gr. Speer Hot-cors, RL15 and Varget. But the accuracy sucked compared to the 165's.
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Just curious... My Kimber Montana runs 165 Partitions and Speers 2761 AVG (Lapua case, Fed 210M, 165 Partition, 45.5 grains Varget) and its spooky accurate too. I was into the mid 2900's with 150 gr. Speer Hot-cors, RL15 and Varget. But the accuracy sucked compared to the 165's.

Honestly I'm not sure if you're kidding!

A 150 TSX from a 22" barrel at 2,870 is slow?

I've run 150's just over 2,900 and gotten terrific accuracy but I'm just not one that red-lines handloads.

The load listed on this thread of a 150 TSX with 49 gr's or RL15 is pretty suspect to me... I'd wager that sucker is well over SAAMI pressure specs.

Just an opinion...
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Honestly I'm not sure if you're kidding!

A 150 TSX from a 22" barrel at 2,870 is slow?

I've run 150's just over 2,900 and gotten terrific accuracy but I'm just not one that red-lines handloads.

Here it is from Barnes' web site.

TSX in the 308 win
© 24hourcampfire