Home
Guys,

How cost efficient is it to reload? What do you save on a box of premium ammo such as Hornady Interbond or Nosler Partition? Any input would be appreciated.
Rough figures for a 308 Win. since that's what I load the most:

Lapua brass (expensive): $0.66
"Premium" bullet: $1
Benchrest grade primer: $0.035
45 gr. powder @ $20/lb.: $0.13

That's $36.50 box of twenty. The next time you load that piece of brass it'll be $0.33 for each of thew two loadings. So now the 40 total rounds cost you $59.80, i.e. $29.90 per box. ..... On the sixth loading the brass costs 11 cents for each of the loadings so now those six boxes of ammo cost you $153, or $25.50 each.

I overestimated on the bullet cost to give a worst case which you could almost always beat.
Bullet .80
Brass .10
Primer .03
Powder .15
-----------
1.08 each for my WSM and a good bullet.

.58 for practice rounds
The fun and experience is priceless. You certainly learn more about your guns.
Interbonds and Partitions are not a buck each. I never have seen a 35 cent primer. Most expensive around here Is Federal Match primers @ $4 per hundred

300 Win Mag
Federal Gold Metal Match brass .29
TSX 180 grain bullet .56
Federal GMM primer .04
76 gr. powder $16.90 lb .18

$1.07 per round or $21.40 probably at least a 50% savings.
I did get a good deal on the brass. TSX bullets were $27.99 per 50the last time I purchased them. Today they were $32.99
Sorry about that, I got in a hurry and slipped a decimal. blush I'll revise the original post. Thanks.
I have only been reloading for just over a year and haven't "saved" a penny, but I get to do a heck of alot more shooting for the same money.

First off, I don't shoot "premium" bullets. The deer and hogs that I shoot haven't been able to tell the difference. Corelokts are an excellent bullet for the price.

I buy my powder and primers in bulk to cut the cost.

The only component that I haven't found a way to cut cost on is Lapua brass, but I believe it is well worth the extra cost.

Posted By: RyanTX Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/10/09
Others have posted some good advise. I will add that if you don't shoot much (i.e.: a couple of sight-in shots and then what ever is fired during hunting season), then you are not going to save any money. In fact, you will spend quite a bit more (buying the equipment to reload with).
However, you will be able to learn what your rifle likes in terms of loads, you will get a satisfaction that comes from "rolling your own"; and you will take one more step towards the classification of "rifle looney".

If you do shoot a lot, then you will definitely see a cost savings by reloading.
Posted By: temmi Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/10/09
The answer depends on what cartridge you select. For my 338WM there is a LOT of savings. There is still a good deal of savings.
Most of the others gave you some good numbers, you will need to spend some money to get started and that may seem overwhelming.

Remember Handloading is not just a cost saving exercise� it is a hobby. There is quite the sense of accomplishment when you build the �ultimate� custom round. So while it may take a while to recoup the start-up cost once you add in the fun you will have and the product you will achieve, you will never look back.
On my 300WBY I figured .48 a shot minus the brass with Speer Hot Cores. Considering the factory loads are now over $45 a box for the Hornady loads it is quite a savings.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/10/09
The saving are significant but for me, the satisfaction of loading my own out weighs the cost out put. It's just a whole lot more fun taking game with roll your own ammo. For practice ammo, you can load something like Nosler BT's for even more of a savings than the premium bullets listed here, not to mention being able to fine tune loads for your rifle.
In terms of both cost and performance, I could not imagine NOT reloading.

It takes some time to recover the initial cost but is worth every penny.

Travis

Posted By: Reba Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/10/09
The first reason to reload is better accuracy.

Posted By: bb1379 Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/10/09
reloading in my opinion is kind-of like a double-edged sword but in a good way. you have to shoot a lot to make it cost efficient, but then you get to shoot a lot since you reload!! someone who is just getting there gun sighted in for deer season, just needs to drop the $30-$40 on a box of shells and head to the range.
Posted By: WyoJoe Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/10/09
Every head of big game I have killed has been shot with a hand load. Can't see using factory ammo now. If I were to buy factory ammo for my .375 locally it woould run in the neighborhood of $55-$65 per 20 rounds. I like to run the Speer 270 gr. BTSP's through it so I can load 100 for what less than 40 would cost me.
Posted By: selmer Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/10/09
I have yet to ever send a factory load down any centerfire rifle I own. I love reloading as a rewarding hobby that allows me to shoot more for less cost, although if I didn't reload, I wouldn't spend as much money. Bullets are not $1 a piece, even good bullets are at most $.70/piece, most of what I shoot are around $.30/piece (sierra matchkings and Nosler Ballistic Tips). Have fun, if you enjoy it, you enjoy it, but it's not something to jump into lightly either. I've tried to get a few friends started and they want to do it fairly halfway and aren't happy with the results, but don't want to go whole-hog either.
Posted By: efw Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/10/09
I loaded 100 custom rounds (charged the way his rifle likes 'em) for my brother-in-law's deer rifle for $45 my cost. He only supplied the brass. That includes the cost of primers, propellent (powder), and Hornady SSTs.

The last I checked you couldn't get 40 rounds of Hornady ammo for that price.
Posted By: JPro Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/10/09
I'd rather have 3-4 good rifles and a decent loading setup than 10 rifles that I could only feed factory ammo.
Posted By: WyoJoe Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/11/09
Originally Posted by JPro
I'd rather have 3-4 good rifles and a decent loading setup than 10 rifles that I could only feed factory ammo.

Ditto
Posted By: HaYen Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/11/09
I own a Stevens M200 in a 30-06. In short, I was having a problem with my shots stringing high right. I called Savage and eventually sent the rifle to them. They replaced the stock (with a wood one) and was satisfied with their 1.3 and 1.4 inch groups using Federal Match ammo.

When I got the rifle back, (using 57grns of I4350, CCI BR LR, win brass, and 150gr Sierra GK SP) I was able to put 5 shots on paper and cover it with a quarter at 100 yards.

This is a $300 dollar rifle. Savage couldn't do it and I don't think I could repeat that with a factory load.

Depending on the brand of factory ammo (like Wolf), I don't save a lot of money reloading the '06, 308 or 22-250. But the 30-30, 270WSM, 300WSM, 338 Win Mag, and 7mm Rem Mag are hugh savings.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/11/09
Originally Posted by WyoJoe
Originally Posted by JPro

Ditto

Double ditto.
You will save tons of money! BAHAHAHAHA BAHAHA BAHAHAHAHABAHAHA

My opinion is this. If your sole reason to reload is to save a few bucks, don't bother. Hell, the truth is that it is so freaking satisfying. An extension of being a hunter and/or shooter.
Okay, guys, and then ammortize the cost of your press, the dies, the powder measure, the trimmer, the case cleaner.

It ain't cheap ammo. But it rounds out the whole process. It's fun, and you get to make bullets that are custom made for your rifle/pistol.

I bought and paid for my equipment when I was shooting around 5,000 rounds of pistol ammo a year, and I was casting my own lead, so the equipment was paid for in short order over even buying someone elses reloads.

Because of that, I don't claim the wear and tear on my equipment. Besides, I bought RCBS, so it doesn't wear out. wink blush
$47 to reload 100 rounds of 270WSM
x 5 (I only reload a case 5 times)
------------------------------------
$235 for 500 rounds

$33.99 (not including tax) box of 20 Winchester from Cabelas
-------------------------------------
$879.45 for 500 rounds

--------
$644.45

RCBS Reloading kit from Midway USA = 281.99
Kit Contents:
# Reloader Special 5 press
# Case loading block
# Case lube kit
# Primer tray
# Powder funnel
# 505 powder scale
# Deburring tool
# Speer reloading manual

RCBS 270WSM FL dies = 25.49
Shell holder = 5.99
Franklin Arsenal Calipers = 12.99 (on sale now)
Hodgdons loading data (free online)
Nosler loading data (free online)
Ramshot loading data (free online)
---------------------------------------------
$326.46

-----------
$317.98 savings after loading 500 rounds

Yes you do have to load 500 rounds before you see a little bit of savings, but the accuracy and satisfaction you'll gain is priceless

Oviously you pay a lot less for your components than I do. $47.00 wouldn't buy me 100 brass, much less the bullets and powder to go in them. ESPECIALLY WSM brass. If I load Hornady Interlock bullets, and get my powder at a reasonable price, and I get free brass, it still costs me $50 per hundred or better. I usually figure $60 to pay the taxes and average out the increase in components.

You can buy loaded ammo for around $25 bucks a box here - but not the WSM stuff. I don't save money by reloading - I shoot twice as much.

But it is a hobby, and part of the whole equation. Glad you get your components so cheap. Wish I could - I'd shoot three times as much.
While there are a few reduced recoil loads out there, factories cannot compete with the combinations of bullets and the velocity YOU choose.

A great example is the 358 win.

You can load it hot with premium bullets. Ex: 225 @ 2500 for elk or bears.

358 cal pistol bullets can be loaded to duplicate a handgun or smokin fast, your choice. You won't find factory loaded pistol bullets.
---------------------------

Light or very heavy for caliber bullets are usually not found in factory loaded ammo either. Versatility is the key to handloading as well as better accuracy potential. I can't imagine shooting factory in any of my centerfires. Never have and never will.

If you are serious about handloading get a video on it or go watch a seasoned handloader go through the stages. You will know if it is something you wish to pursue.

Posted By: DMB Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/11/09
Personally, I can't ever see justifying reloading based on cost effectiveness, for me anyway. It doesn't trade.
I justify reloading based on the results I get with my own loads; good accuracy.
Like JPro said, I'd rather have 4 or 5 GOOD rifles and reload, versus 10 rifles having to use factory fodder.
Posted By: coyo Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/11/09
Factory ammo just dont go round here and if I get some at auction or estate sale to me it is just target fodder,I drove my parents nuts and got my first shotgun in 5th grade and a reloading outfit a year later and have been crafting my own ammo ever since and I guess Ive just grown up believing if you shoot it you make your own ammo for it as its just part of the equasion and at almost 50 years old I guess Ive just been in this ol rut to long to change my way of thinking and you can always craft better ammo than you can buy...............
Posted By: tx270 Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/11/09
I can handload a box of shells for roughly 60% of what the same round/bullet combo would cost me in factory loads for most of my rifles. The difference is greater when I move to my larger rounds like 300 mag. Even "cheap" Remington green box or Win. PP's run $30 a box in 300 WM here.

Bill
Originally Posted by the_shootist

But it is a hobby, and part of the whole equation. Glad you get your components so cheap. Wish I could - I'd shoot three times as much.

I confess I was picking on the 270WSM. We just loaded 50 rounds and will be reloading it tonight. We are working up a load for my cousins hunt on the 20th. The factory stuff is so much more expensive then say my 30-06. At $12.99 a box of Wolf ammo (either 30-06 or 22-250), I really don't save that much. But, as it was stated above, I don't like putting factory ammo in any of my rifles (see 22-250 note below). If I do its because someone purchased a box or two for my birthday or Christmas. Reloading is a great, rewarding hobby. There are a lot of people at my range that toss once fired brass (suckas). I have brass for calibers I don't even load and I've been thinking about putting up a post to see if any one wants it. Not enough to sell (i.e. 5 pieces of 8mm Mauser, 7 pieces of 25 WSSM, 270win, I think some 243). The largest savings I've experianced is the 338 Win Mag:
IMR 4381 71 grns
Speer Hot Cor 200gr
CCI LRM Primers
Once fired factory brass
------------------------------------------------
$0.44 to reload vs $2 per for a $40 box after tax

22-250
Here in AZ, summer temps exceed 100 often (but its a dry heat, lol). I needed some brass for my 22-250, so I purchased a box of Winchester 40gr 4000fps white box stuff. Folks this stuff borders on dangerious. The headspace was very loose and my bolt was stiff. I spoken to both the managers at our local Walmart and Cabelas. If you shoot this caliber, live in the Soutwest, and someone gives you a box of this stuff, pull the bullets, dump the powder, fire the primers, and keep the brass.

HaYen
Wow
I compare the cost of my reloading to the cost of drugs necessary to give me the same peace of mind and relaxation. I save thousands a year and get all sorts of ammo to shoot for free. I started with a Lee loader in 30/30 and another in 30-06. I moved up to a Lee 2001 challenger and a greater variety of rounds. I got into a Dillon progressive for a while, but after rehab I have been able to maintain single stage usage with a Lyman Orange crusher and 35 separate calibres. I speak as a fool, but the reload experience itself is very relaxing for me.I get to shoot custom ammo tailer made to my guns,and get to experience the joy of shooting ammo I have developed and assembled myself. Th extra shooting assists with confidence as well. I am taking two rifles to Africa in a month, an 06 and a 338 winmag. The two rifles have loads developed that shoot to the same trajectory out to 250 yds and at 300 yds they differ by 2/10ths" at least on paper, I don't have 300 yds to shoot
Randy
Originally Posted by medicman

Wow I compare the cost of my reloading to the cost of drugs necessary to give me the same peace of mind and relaxation.

I LOVE IT!!!!

I got into a Dillon progressive for a while, but after rehab

uh,

I am taking two rifles to Africa in a month,

PICTURES!!!!! PLEASE !!!! We, who in our lives, will never be able to go to Africa, need to live though people like you and your photos. :-)

I am taking two rifles to Africa in a month, an 06 and a 338 winmag.

Yer rubbin' it in again. If Mom or Dad were still alive, I'd be forced to "tell on ya." Will you just go and kill some stuff and hurry back with photos? mad And I mean it!
i've been shooting most of my cal's long before i reloaded and always saved my brass. i buy nosler 2nds when i can. just picked up 1000 .44 240's for $158, not counting brass it's $13.90 a box, plinkin stuff is $30+ for 50ct. bought some 180 nosler 2nds on sale a while back for about $12 (split shipping w/your buddies). 300win 180gr partition is selling local for $50+, again not counting brass reloads cost $7.47 a box. not to mention buying odd cal. guns won't be an issue any more. my best deal was a steyr mannlicher 9.3X62 like new, NO wear for $700 gun sells for $1600-1800. ammo last i looked was $100-140 ALL of it mail order. i figure if you own 4-5 rifles and like to shoot 2 boxes a year from aech it'll pay off in about 3-4 years.
Posted By: HaYen Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/13/09
Originally Posted by bigrocks
I buy nosler 2nds when i can.

I realize they are seconds because Nosler QC tossed them in that category, but how do they shoot? I was going to buy some .308 Partitions but they were out at the time. The price is right.

HaYen
Originally Posted by the_shootist

I am taking two rifles to Africa in a month, an 06 and a 338 winmag.

Yer rubbin' it in again. If Mom or Dad were still alive, I'd be forced to "tell on ya." Will you just go and kill some stuff and hurry back with photos? mad And I mean it!

Mom would wash my mouth out with zest and Dad would take off the oxblood belt and get sad eyed, what with me talking all about myself and putting on "airs".

They did keep us in line, which was no easy task with me. Now you were their pride and joy. They liked you almost as much as Wayne.

Randy

Oh yes just so we are on topic, I did up 50 rounds of 185 gr 338winmag last night at 2900 ft/sec which is slow, but will give same trajectory as the 165 gr 3006 . Go get that combo at the Wall Mart
For unpopular cartridges, reloading is the only way to go. My 264 win mag is a good example. Rem and win each make one load, a 140 gr. The first 2 loads I made were with 120 Xs and 95 v maxes.
I would never have bought my 264 or my 358 norma if I didn't reload. Everyone else nailed down the cost savings. Last, reloading allows you to "turbo charge" the 45 colt in a blackhawk as in Ross Seyfried's article in handloader. Adds a different element to this cartridge.
Not mentioned is the ablity to wring a little more or even a lot more velocity. When you get old cartridges like the 30-06,they are loaded to more modest pressure for the old actions than a modern magnum . Factory 180 clock 2650,you can easily push 2800 with the slower powders. Or a 8x57JS is loaded in the US to 30-30 pressures,you can load to them to 30-06 pressures.

The magnuns cost only a little more than 30-06 to load. My 358 Norma Magnum factory is hard to find and more expensive than even Weatherby. To me,it's just the cost difference of 61 grains of powder vs 75 grains of powder.
Posted By: vssb Re: To reload or not to reload? - 02/27/09
Thanks guys,
THis was a very interesting read since i have been toying with the idea of reloading.

I only shoot a couple boxes a year out of my 30-06, 270 and 7mm-08, but it seems like reloading has its rewards other than cost.

If i do end up reloading i would probably replace my 270 with a 270 weatherby or 7mm weatherby and load my own stuff. plus i can work on some reduce recoil loads for my 7-08 when my kids start hunting and im pretty sure that the 30-06 can produce more punch than what i get from the factory. plus for what ever reason, im intrigued with the 338 federal, and may get one someday....

a couple quick questions:

what kind of start up equipment do i need? cost of equipment? how many times can a person re-use cases?

thanks in advanced
Posted By: HaYen Re: To reload or not to reload? - 03/01/09
Originally Posted by vssb

what kind of start up equipment do i need? cost of equipment? how many times can a person re-use cases?

There are a lot of good presses out there. Over the years I've swapped out most of the stuff I started with initially. You may want to look at the Rock Chucker Supreme. The Redding T-7 Turret press is nice but I don't think it comes in a full "ready-to-load" kit. You can check out Midsouth or Midway for idea's on kit prices.

As far as number of times you can reload a piece of brass

see the post at Brass Question
I would ask yourself two questions:

Do you like to shoot?

Are you wealthy?

If the answers are "yes" to the first, and "no" to the second, then there is only one good answer to your query: reload.
Posted By: vssb Re: To reload or not to reload? - 03/01/09
Thanks for all the info.

what book would you recommend to get me started on reloading?
I personally like the Speer's line of manuals and Nosler's latest (number 6 IIRC)--both offer a wealth of information and if read thoroughly will give you all the knowledge necessary to start reloading without a hitch.
© 24hourcampfire