Home
I reload for quite a few cartridges, and I am looking to start buying powder in bulk vs 1lb bottles. What powder would you go with for .243, .25-06, .270, .280, etc with heavier bullets? I am thinking either H4350 or H4831, but will consider others. I've had good luck with R22, H4350/4831, etc, but 8lb jugs are a good amount cheaper. Thanks!
4350 or 4831 should work, either H or IMR.
Reloader 19. In fact I have about 15-20 calibers that I load for all with just 3 powders. RE 15, RE 19, and RE 22. Get good accuracy and top speeds for all.
For only one I would go H4350 but hard to do w/o H4831 with that line up of rifles.
Something along the lines of a 4350, 4831, or even RL17 should be able to do all of the above chamberings.
I like IMR7828 with heavier bullets in the .243, .270, and .300WM.
Count this as a vote for H4831 as it performs extremely well, and is available in the SC version.
I support your move to the keg, can't think of a downside.
Don't forget to check Powder Valley for price & availability.
I'll vote for H-4350, I can think of few applications where it hasn't given me top notch accuracy and velocity.

I would suggest a 5# keg of RL 15 for the occasions where you want a slightly faster powder.
....there are other powders for those besides Varget and H4350?

hmmm.....:)
So, how does the H4831sc compare with the standard H4831?
4350 was my first thought when just seeing the title to the thread. 4831SC is just shorter granules than standard 4831. Burn speed is the same, load data is the same.
Being a slow fuel fan, RL-22.
H-4350 would be my first try.
760/H414

JW
i load all except the 243 and h4831 is my favorite powder
my shelf would have anyone of the following on it...

RL 15, IMR 4064,IMR 4895, Varget, H 414, W 748

in no particular preferencial order...
Originally Posted by Jason280
I reload for quite a few cartridges, and I am looking to start buying powder in bulk vs 1lb bottles. What powder would you go with for .243, .25-06, .270, .280, etc with heavier bullets? I am thinking either H4350 or H4831, but will consider others. I've had good luck with R22, H4350/4831, etc, but 8lb jugs are a good amount cheaper. Thanks!

I have developed some pretty good loads for those cartridges with H4831......

Casey
Jason-- It is my experience that H4831SC and the older (and no longer produced I think) H4831 have exactly the same properties except for the length of the kernel. Therefore, the two powders are interchangeable by weight as used by me in my rifles.

For example, I use xx.x grains of H4831SC in a .300 Win. Mag. loading under a 180 grain Nosler Partition. This is precisely the same weight of H4831 I used years ago before Hodgdon started marketing the H4831SC.

Furthermore as I indicated above, I believe that Hodgdon's has ceased production of the older, long-kernel form of the powder that was named H4831.

Jayhawk Dan
Jason280: "I" wish life were that simple!
In my experience its not.
I am loading for a total of 8 (eight) Rifles in the calibers you specifically mention (NO etc's included) and I am using 7 (seven) different powders in those 8 (eight) Rifles!
My objective in handloading for these Varmint and Big Game Rifles is finding the top attainable accuracy in each with the bullet I want to shoot in that rig.
I am not sure what your "other" objective besides just simplifying your shopping - again I wish life were that simple.
I have been having a hard time replacing the powders I've used up of late with ANY size container of powder.
I say reconsider - and find THE powder that suits THE individual Rifles you are handloading for and then work on obtaining the powder (and other components) that suits that Rifle and your needs for that Rifle the best. Lay in a supply - if nothing else there would be peace of mind once that is accomplished.
I have countless friends that only buy bulk powders and they buy it in bulk for their individual Rifles.
Again, I indeed wish there were just "ONE" powder that would be "the best" in all my 243's, 25/06's, 270's and in my 280 Remington!
I don't think that is a reasonable goal though.
Best of luck to ya!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Jayhawk_Dan
Jason-- It is my experience that H4831SC and the older (and no longer produced I think) H4831 have exactly the same properties except for the length of the kernel. Therefore, the two powders are interchangeable by weight as used by me in my rifles.

For example, I use xx.x grains of H4831SC in a .300 Win. Mag. loading under a 180 grain Nosler Partition. This is precisely the same weight of H4831 I used years ago before Hodgdon started marketing the H4831SC.

Furthermore as I indicated above, I believe that Hodgdon's has ceased production of the older, long-kernel form of the powder that was named H4831.

Jayhawk Dan

H4831 is still available--at least when you can find powder on the shelves! cry

Donning my flameproof suit.....

I use a lot of H4831, and have burned a few pounds of H483SC, and have found in some loads in some rifles, the SC burned a bit faster--at least according to my chrono......

Casey
In the 25-06, 270 & 280, RL22 is tops, IMO.

It also is really good in the 243 with heavier bullets.

Don't know about the "etc" though............

MM
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
....there are other powders for those besides Varget and H4350?

hmmm.....:)

I gussin your bench looks a lot like mine =)
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Jayhawk_Dan

Jayhawk Dan

H4831 is still available--at least when you can find powder on the shelves! cry

Donning my flameproof suit.....

I use a lot of H4831, and have burned a few pounds of H483SC, and have found in some loads in some rifles, the SC burned a bit faster--at least according to my chrono......

Casey

H 4831 is still produced... at least you can get it locally at my powder store... they seem to have no problem getting it when they put in powder orders...Powder Valley still lists it as a regular stocked item..
Originally Posted by Jason280
So, how does the H4831sc compare with the standard H4831?

There is roughly a 4% difference in load density between the short cut powders and their original cuts due to granular size difference. Load density does play a part in consistency and jumping from one to the other probably will not produce the same results. H-4831 or RL-22 should provide the results you are looking for a one powder armament.
© 24hourcampfire