Home
Have anybody tried this bullet in the 270WSM, if so with what combination thanks in advance!!!!!!!
Pick your poison.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/Copper_Manual4/
WHOA thanks Win!!!!!
winmodel70,

great link. Thanks....
I'm a Barnes Bullet freak. I have that link saved on my favorites.
Originally Posted by trailrider121
winmodel70,

great link. Thanks....
It sure is!!!!!
I am currently shooting the 110 grain Tipped TSX in my 270 WSM and have had good luck with it. I use WInchester cases, Fed 215M primers, a maximum load of IMR 4350 and the 110TTSX.

I am getting 3600 fps out of this combo in a 24 inch barrel. I routinely get groups of around 3/4 inch.

I took it to New Mexico in August and it worked great on a nice antelope buck.
I use 65.8 gr of Reloader-17 and a Rem. 9 1/2 primer. Barnes 110gr TTSX with a COL of 2.745. I'm getting an average of 3575 fps. I'm getting under an inch with this load.

I do find that I have to use new brass with this particular bullet. If I don't I can't seem to get a reliable, consistent crimp. Other heavier bullets aren't an issue

I think you could easily goose it up 2/10 of a grain and get 3600 fps.

Dan
Originally Posted by R_Flowers
I am currently shooting the 110 grain Tipped TSX in my 270 WSM and have had good luck with it. I use WInchester cases, Fed 215M primers, a maximum load of IMR 4350 and the 110TTSX.

I am getting 3600 fps out of this combo in a 24 inch barrel. I routinely get groups of around 3/4 inch.

I took it to New Mexico in August and it worked great on a nice antelope buck.
With the max load(67.5) is it compressed?
According to the Number 4 Barnes reloading manual a load of 67.5 grains of IMR 4350 behind the standard 110 grain TSX has a load density of 100%.

Since the Tipped version is certain to be a little longer than the standard version, I imagine the same load is compressed a little.

However, when I load this ammo I do not experience any "crunching" of powder when seating bullets. Besides, I have never had a problem with compressed loads when shooting extruded powders.

Fantastic thanks Guy preciate that!
Originally Posted by Dantheman
I use 65.8 gr of Reloader-17 and a Rem. 9 1/2 primer. Barnes 110gr TTSX with a COL of 2.745. I'm getting an average of 3575 fps. I'm getting under an inch with this load.

I do find that I have to use new brass with this particular bullet. If I don't I can't seem to get a reliable, consistent crimp. Other heavier bullets aren't an issue

Dan
What dies are you using Guy?
Originally Posted by R_Flowers
According to the Number 4 Barnes reloading manual a load of 67.5 grains of IMR 4350 behind the standard 110 grain TSX has a load density of 100%.

Since the Tipped version is certain to be a little longer than the standard version, I imagine the same load is compressed a little.

However, when I load this ammo I do not experience any "crunching" of powder when seating bullets. Besides, I have never had a problem with compressed loads when shooting extruded powders.

How far did you start off YOUR lands.
Marcus, I started with the standard 0.050 inches off the lands that Barnes recommends. The load shot so well I could see no reason to fool with over all length. The smallest group I have shot with the 110 TTSX over IMR 4350 measured a mere 0.323" for three shots. (Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow Camo)

I have an aquaintance at the rifle range that contends OAL is crucial to getting the TTSX's to shoot. I have not found OAL to be too critical with those bullets, a gun just seems to like them or not. I usually always wind up using 0.050 or 0.060 inches of the lands.
That's what I figured Mr. Flowers as soon as I get my stock back from paint and then bed I'll be trying the 4350 with the 110TTSX! Just want you and the other Guys to know I appreciate all the information!
Originally Posted by Popapi

Dan

I'm using Lee dies. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get a decent crimp with once fired brass. The case was crimping a hair above the bullet's top ring and it just wouldn't hold. The bullet would slip and the case mouth would end up in the ring.

I loaded some 140gr Hornady BTSP's and did not have an issue with previously fired brass.

Dan
Originally Posted by Popapi

Dan
Dan

I'm using Lee dies. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get a decent crimp with once fired brass. The case was crimping a hair above the bullet's top ring and it just wouldn't hold. The bullet would slip and the case mouth would end up in the ring.

I loaded some 140gr Hornady BTSP's and did not have an issue with previously fired brass.

Dan
I was just wondering I have Forster dies and hoping this won't be a problem for me thanks Dan.
I load this bullet with 65 Gr IMR-4350 and get same velocity as max load listed in Barnes manual. I shot a spike in Hill Country last year as it walked directly toward me at about 40 yards. The bullet went in the front and came out the "cheek". By look of exit, the bullet lost it's petals along the way, but chest cavity was mush and deer dropped. Also shot a bobcat at around the same distance and it left about a quarter sized exit.

Lou
I'll be starting lo and working up to 67.5grns seems to me 65 MAY be a good place to start or a little lower!
Originally Posted by Lou_270
I load this bullet with 65 Gr IMR-4350 and get same velocity as max load listed in Barnes manual.
Lou
24" barrel Lou?
Yes - 24" barrel. Rifle is a model 70 stainless classic.

Lou
Ok that's a good thing, left the chrono at home last Sunday which cost me some very important data, did try 67.2 grns of IMR4350 at .030 off while the group was a tad under 1/2" bolt lift was TIGHT(pressure). Also shoot 65 grains at .050 off with no pressure, but groups were terrible I will try .030 off at 65 and work up like I intended to WITH chrono! Thanks!!!
© 24hourcampfire